Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR real world mileage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, using data from local driving I get the following estimates in my MYP on the 21" Uberturbine wheels in hot summer conditions with the AC blasting:

60 mph = 267 to 273 Wh per mile (3.7 miles per kWh) range = 278 max (100% SOC to 0% SOC) => 250 first leg of a trip (100% down to 10% SOC) => 195 "normal" legs of a trip (80% down to 10%)

75 mph = 318 to 327 Wh per mile (3.1 miles per kWh) range = 233 max (100% SOC to 0% SOC) => 210 first leg of a trip (100% down to 10% SOC) => 163 "normal" legs of a trip (80% down to 10%)

80 mph = 351 to 363 Wh per mile (2.8 miles per kWh) range = 210 max (100% SOC to 0% SOC) => 189 first leg of a trip (100% down to 10% SOC) => 147 "normal" legs of a trip (80% down to 10%)

Looking at this, I have to agree with the "around 2 hours of driving between stops" (150 to 160 miles) statement earlier in the thread.

Best thing in this thread was someone making the point that due to different testing methodology you can compare EPA range OUTSIDE the Tesla community, or INSIDE the Tesla community, but you can't compare EPA numbers between Tesla and none Tesla.

Keith

Reactions: boulder.dude
For me, using data from local driving I get the following estimates in my MYP on the 21" Uberturbine wheels in hot summer conditions with the AC blasting:

60 mph = 267 to 273 Wh per mile (3.7 miles per kWh) range = 278 max (100% SOC to 0% SOC) => 250 first leg of a trip (100% down to 10% SOC) => 195 "normal" legs of a trip (80% down to 10%)

75 mph = 318 to 327 Wh per mile (3.1 miles per kWh) range = 233 max (100% SOC to 0% SOC) => 210 first leg of a trip (100% down to 10% SOC) => 163 "normal" legs of a trip (80% down to 10%)

80 mph = 351 to 363 Wh per mile (2.8 miles per kWh) range = 210 max (100% SOC to 0% SOC) => 189 first leg of a trip (100% down to 10% SOC) => 147 "normal" legs of a trip (80% down to 10%)

Looking at this, I have to agree with the "around 2 hours of driving between stops" (150 to 160 miles) statement earlier in the thread.

Best thing in this thread was someone making the point that due to different testing methodology you can compare EPA range OUTSIDE the Tesla community, or INSIDE the Tesla community, but you can't compare EPA numbers between Tesla and none Tesla.

Keith
Here's my 2021, April build, LR wt 20" Inductions and Boost (TeslaFi) breakdown after 4,000 miles:
SpeedWh/MileEfficiency %Miles Recorded
25 to 30 mph21498.726
30 to 35 mph22493.4206
35 to 40 mph24486300
40 to 45 mph23389.8471
45 to 50 mph23489.5528
50 to 55 mph24286.5240
55 to 60 mph25682.1126
60 to 65 mph25083.8946
65 to 70 mph25681.3650
70 to 75 mph26378.978

Reactions: Fourdoor
As a follow up to my last post - here's my "tracked data to date":

# Of DrivesMiles DrivenRated Miles UsedWh/MileEfficiencykWh UsedAvg SpeedAvg TempTotal CostTime Spent Driving
208 4,235 4,868 240 Wh/Mile 87 % 1,018 kWh 47.2 mph75.49 F $ 171 3 Days 17 Hours 40 Minutes

So I'm at 283.62 miles actual.
My first leg using 90% is 255 miles. I can and have easily done 225 miles. My subsequent range can be 168 miles (10 to 70% or 60% usage)

Best thing in this thread was someone making the point that due to different testing methodology you can compare EPA range OUTSIDE the Tesla community, or INSIDE the Tesla community, but you can't compare EPA numbers between Tesla and none Tesla
Yes, Tesla BOOSTS their EPA numbers by using 5 step testing processes while every other manufacturer use 2 step testing for their EPA numbers. If there is anything that I don't like about my MY, that is the advertised range vs the actual range. Now, there are people here that say there is nothing wrong with Tesla's approach, I disagree. When you (Tesla) claim as the EV leader and pioneer, I expect them to be leading in every aspect of it to include range. What I meant by this is, if they claim 326, you better get it close ( I know that there are several factors which affects the range), but Tesla should not be coming last in all the tests consistently when testing for range (to date, MY never achieved 326 miles in any range testing) while others came very close or in some cases even beat the EPA ratings.

Again, there are people who argue that Tesla vehicles are more efficient than other brands and other brands use bigger batteries to achieve the same range. I get it, but who cares, for an average consumer, the only thing that matters is am I getting the advertised range or NOT, does NOT matter how the manufacturer decides to give it ( Bigger battery or better design) with in a certain price range.

oh, and please do not compare ICE vehicles and EV's, we all hate everything about ICE and that is the reason we bought EV's in the first place right? No point in comparing how we never cared about mileage in ICE cars and we now care about range. Yes, there is a hell of a difference and it matters.

Note: I knew about the range before I took the delivery of my MY7 but I bought it anyway because I don't do long trips outside of Texas very often and for the most part I should be able to go to near by cities (Dallas, Austin and San Antonio)which was my main concern with out much hassle thanks to supercharging. Also, I strongly believe that supercharging is what most people buy Tesla not for their range. (At least that's what influenced my decision anyway)

Last edited:
Yes, range is over-stated by Tesla, but knowing this you have options. 4,000 miles on my last Y road trip averaged 251 wh/m. 300+ miles range. Ideal speed for me is 70-75 mph. Tires set to 45 PSI (On the highway I don't notice a rougher ride with the increase PSI). AC set medium speed, usually 70 degrees. I think the sun roof shade was a great investment for summer trips. Definitely the AC uses less energy. The wild card is head wind or rain, elevation is usually figured in the energy app in the car, so no surprises!. Had a Model S for 6 years prior, same results, usually get close to advertised range, maybe about 5 to 10% less on average, sometimes even the full stated range.

Reactions: GOVA and jcanoe
Yes, range is over-stated by Tesla, but knowing this you have options. 4,000 miles on my last Y road trip averaged 251 wh/m. 300+ miles range. Ideal speed for me is 70-75 mph. Tires set to 45 PSI (On the highway I don't notice a rougher ride with the increase PSI). AC set medium speed, usually 70 degrees. I think the sun roof shade was a great investment for summer trips. Definitely the AC uses less energy. The wild card is head wind or rain, elevation is usually figured in the energy app in the car, so no surprises!. Had a Model S for 6 years prior, same results, usually get close to advertised range, maybe about 5 to 10% less on average, sometimes even the full stated range.
well, vast majority of us are NOT experiencing what you are experiencing. if yours's is NORMAL, I am yet to see a test with similar results as yours. The bottom line and the take away I am expecting from my post is this, Tesla needs to change their stupid tactics and give more battery ( or design) to better meet the advertised range and more and more people complaining and other car makers coming up with a more realistic range will eventually force them. I just want that to happen sooner , that's it.

For all the people who support Tesla unconditionally, I don't hate Tesla. In fact, I love Tesla a lot and will continue to buy them as long as my financial strength can support it. But, I am not going to sugar coat everything and say that everything they do is great, I WILL point out the short comings.

They will do the same if that rare situation ever comes.

Just realized something. I have done many trips where my speed over a 5 mile or more stretch is 80 mph... but even switching it to drives of 5 miles or more, the highest my teslafi chart goes is the "65 to 70" column... why don't I have a "70 to 75" or "75 to 80" column?

Keith

PS: Doing my first road trip at the end of the week, can't wait to see what Teslafi data I gather!

Do the 21" Uberturbine wheels and tires make more of a difference than Tesla says they do? I am getting no where near the efficiency you are at the same speeds. Most of my time driving is spent with cruise control active, and that is how I got the numbers in post #41 to this thread. My Teslafi numbers are way high, probably due to multiple 1/4 mile test runs. I know that Tesla originally rated the MYP with the PUP at 280 miles when the LR was 316 (36 mile difference), now it is rated at 303 while the LR gets 326 (23 miles difference). Is the 36 mile deficit more realistic than the 23 mile deficit? I will have my Gemini's with Aero caps after this weekend... I wonder how much of an improvement I will have?

Keith

Totally. The EPA range is nonsense, much like the estimated delivery date. Sweet spot seems to be 70-75 - I start losing a lot of range when I'm in the 80s.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I posted a separate thread with my findings from this first road trip here:

Some EVs meet or exceed EPA range in independent tests though.. No Tesla has ever met it

The MYs biggest competitor (Mach-E) is rated at 270 and got 285 whereas the MY was rated at 316 and got 276. So the reality is the Mach-E could go further, but its EPA rating is 46mi UNDER the Tesla. I think Ford was more realistic in their range claims

Not sure if you have seen this thread. Range Loss with Different Wheel Options:

Range loss with the different wheel options
Thanks, I will check out that thread :)

Keith

<edit>Looking at that data I would gain almost 30 miles of range at highway speeds due to aerodynamics alone. That isn't including the effect of the sticky summer only performance rubber on the Uberturbine wheels as compared to the all season tires on the Gemini's or the effects of the weight difference... I am thinking the "original" range rating difference (36 miles) is closer to accurate than the new one (23 miles) at least at highway speeds. </edit>

Last edited:
I always run Gemini 19"'s with the aerocaps on, a 3-5% increase in range I've heard. Model YLR. Also, most of my driving is in California; relatively level, temperate climate, little rain and the speed limits are never 80 mph as are some states. With traffic, 70 to 75 mph is the norm, if you are lucky. Obviously these factors help with range. Range increases slightly when tires have some miles on them. Also since I've owned Tesla's for 6+ years, I probably don't accelerate as quickly as I did the first couple of years. Great to have the power, but the novelty of instant torque bothers my wife and even passengers don't seem to appreciate the G-forces generated after a ride or two in the car.

...that the car has enough real range to meet my needs.

Ha! Uh, no, definitely not that.
Statistically, Standard Range would satisfy the NEEDS of 90 to 95% people in the US. I dont know the exact numbers but, most people wont drive more than 70 or 80 miles everyday (according to the research), then why buy the Long Range and why manufacture it?

the point is NOT about any ones need here. When they advertise certain performance, and when it is not delivered in the real world, that is a PROBLEM that needs to be rectified. As simple as that.

Reactions: pbcsd
....When they advertise certain performance, and when it is not delivered in the real world, that is a PROBLEM that needs to be rectified. As simple as that.
Seems I'm getting more than the published range. I drive at the flow rate of the traffic. Multiple round trips from SF to LA as well as local trips.
Here's my TeslaFi report on my battery/range as of today:
Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 9.56.25 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: mark95476
Seems I'm getting more than the published range. I drive at the flow rate of the traffic. Multiple round trips from SF to LA as well as local trips.
Here's my TeslaFi report on my battery/range as of today:
View attachment 691993
I have had my Y since early May. I'm pleased on all levels with this vehicle.

I'm an old fart who grew up in the 60's loving cars. I've had way too many cars in my life - from Trucks, Motorhomes, BMWs, Cadillacs to VW beetles and CJ5 Jeeps. This is the best road car and hot rod ever. Oh, and my max range after my last trip to LA was a rated at 330 miles....

This lil sucker is a fast mama jama!!!

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 10.02.43 AM.png

Statistically, Standard Range would satisfy the NEEDS of 90 to 95% people in the US. I dont know the exact numbers but, most people wont drive more than 70 or 80 miles everyday (according to the research), then why buy the Long Range and why manufacture it?

the point is NOT about any ones need here. When they advertise certain performance, and when it is not delivered in the real world, that is a PROBLEM that needs to be rectified. As simple as that.

Most Americans drive less than 40 miles a day, Europeans even less. This is why companies that just dabbed a toe into EV's with "EREV's" (Extended Range Electric Vehicles) targeted around 40 miles of range on the battery before the gasoline engine would fire up.

If you drive the EPA 5 cycle test, you will get the advertised number for your Tesla... nobody drives that way in the real world. We have people on this forum who live in a mild climate, never use AC or Heat, and only drive in the city at 35 to 45 mph. They get 350+ miles on a full charge. Then you have Kyle Conner types driving 90 mph on the highway up hill into the wind with the HVAC blasting who get 180 miles on a full charge.

This is where the phrase "Your Mileage May Vary" truly applies.

Keith

You seem to be overlooking one of the needs. You are contriving this scenario with a shorter range vehicle that just barely scrapes by. But one of the legitimate needs that a lot of people have is to not be nervous and stressed frequently. That is why those gimped 80 mile range EVs were kind of B.S. They met the supposed "need" of the mythical 40 miles per day average, but then were a pain in the ass and giving people an ulcer worrying about it at least a couple times a month. That level of aggravation doesn't work for people, so they do need enough range to use an be comfortable with. ...and still none of that has anything to do with a discrepancy between people's own driving versus EPA ratings.

Aside, but you can't control, explain, or reason away someone else's emotions. Neurotic people get nervous and stressed about mundane things.

My GF gets stressed when we get to 1/4 a tank of gas and needs to fill-up. Not me.
My GF gets stressed when I speed and she's the passenger. She speeds all the time when I'm the passenger and I don't get stressed.
My GF clips corners curbs all the time when making right turns. This makes me cringe and I'm glad she has her own car.
I understand why people get somewhat stressed about range, but I'm the type that purposely tries sabotaging my range and efficiency nearly every time I drive.

Example: 970 Wh/mi avg and projected 50 mi left after blasting up a mountain...

Tesla_MY_970whmi.jpg

You seem to be overlooking one of the needs. You are contriving this scenario with a shorter range vehicle that just barely scrapes by. But one of the legitimate needs that a lot of people have is to not be nervous and stressed frequently. That is why those gimped 80 mile range EVs were kind of B.S. They met the supposed "need" of the mythical 40 miles per day average, but then were a pain in the ass and giving people an ulcer worrying about it at least a couple times a month. That level of aggravation doesn't work for people, so they do need enough range to use an be comfortable with. ...and still none of that has anything to do with a discrepancy between people's own driving versus EPA ratings.