Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR real world mileage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some EVs meet or exceed EPA range in independent tests though.. No Tesla has ever met it

The MYs biggest competitor (Mach-E) is rated at 270 and got 285 whereas the MY was rated at 316 and got 276. So the reality is the Mach-E could go further, but its EPA rating is 46mi UNDER the Tesla. I think Ford was more realistic in their range claims
Is that with the EXACT same number of kW consumed over the same distance? Why does the MME have a worse MPGe according to the EPA?

Interesting development.

Just finished the first day of driving of my multi thousand mile road trip vacation. I pre-planned everything in ABRP based on my car and traveling at 113% of the speed limit. I input my finish point for the night into the Tesla navigation, and it had the same stop locations for the first few charging stops, so I just let it run as is at first. The interesting development was that while driving at the speeds I planned the built in navigation was closer on it's arrival SOC prediction than ABRP was by a significant amount! It looks like the built in Tesla Nav bases it's energy use predictions on the drivers having a taste for speeding :)

Keith

PS: I am going to enjoy the vacation, but when it is done I will post a detailed analysis thread of the trip. I may get a head start on that while hanging out in North Carolina next week before the final leg home.

Reactions: RayB
Is that with the EXACT same number of kW consumed over the same distance? Why does the MME have a worse MPGe according to the EPA?

Because Ford does a 2 cycle test, and then voluntarily downgrades the range estimate and MPGe so they under promise and over deliver to the customers. Tesla does a 5 cycle test, and if they could legally add to the range estimate or MPGe they would. This results in the best numbers for bragging rights, but a lesser customer experiance.

Keith

Hi all, just took delivery of a MYLR in southern California. So far the car is amazing, but I took a road trip this weekend up the PCH/101 to the Bay Area and noticed significant differential between estimated and real world range. Granted I was going ~70-80 most of the time, so I know efficiency drops a bit at those levels, but was surprised to see actual vs. estimated differed by almost 150 miles, or ~50% of the battery capacity. Had to stop four times to supercharge vs. the originally-estimated one stop. Driving conditions were near optimal, windows closed, no A/C, not too aggressive on acceleration.

Is this abnormal? Anything I can be doing to get actual range closer to the advertised 326 at highway speeds? A little surprised and disappointed as the car is brand new. Sorry for the newbie question and thanks in advance for any input.
EPA numbers are from 55% city driving and 45% highway with no heat or AC. The higher the percentage of highway driving, the farther you will get from EPA.. Also, AC or Heat use around town will also get you away from EPA ratings..
Without AC and 55%/45% city/hwy, I get EPA or better. Around town, I get between 180 and 230 Wh/mile without AC.. At 70 mph I get 240 - 270 Wh/mile without AC.

Reactions: mark95476
Because Ford does a 2 cycle test, and then voluntarily downgrades the range estimate and MPGe so they under promise and over deliver to the customers. Tesla does a 5 cycle test, and if they could legally add to the range estimate or MPGe they would. This results in the best numbers for bragging rights, but a lesser customer experiance.

Keith
So if both cars had exactly the same number of kW in their battery ( say 10 kW) and driven side by side under the EXACT same conditions which one would travel further on those 10 kW’s?

Keith
So if both cars had the exact same number of kW’s in their battery and driven side by side under the exact same conditions which one would travel further on those 10 kW’s?

So if both cars had the exact same number of kW’s in their battery and driven side by side under the exact same conditions which one would travel further on those 10 kW’s?
so what is your point?

As stated earlier, for Majority of consumers it does not matter as long as it can travel the CLAIMED Range.. in Tesla's case, IT IS NEVER TRUE, please refer to the video I posted above.

This is the best video and explanation I have seen regarding Tesla's. Just honest and the good and the bad explaining perfectly.

Yes, Tesla's are amazing but definitely needs improvement in the marketing department.
My LR AWD is 13 months old, not sure what my lifetime stats mean to EV geeks:
AZP4IjN.jpg

All I know is I just PLUG and GO and don't pay much attention to the EPA ratings as they can be "gamed" my 06 and 07 Corvette's had a "skip shift" feature that tricked the EPA test so as to avoid the GAS GUZZLER tax. So after that, I pay no attention to the EPA numbers.

Reactions: mark95476 and MBx4
Likewise. I go up and down mountains all the time and I'm still getting better than EPA.

EPA is an average number used for comparing vehicles. I don't drive anything close to what the EPA uses.

EPA numbers are from 55% city driving and 45% highway with no heat or AC. The higher the percentage of highway driving, the farther you will get from EPA.. Also, AC or Heat use around town will also get you away from EPA ratings..
Without AC and 55%/45% city/hwy, I get EPA or better. Around town, I get between 180 and 230 Wh/mile without AC.. At 70 mph I get 240 - 270 Wh/mile without AC.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

EPA is 28kWh for 100 miles for 2020 MYLR. Here's me using 22 kWh for 109 mi from earlier this year.

It'd cost me ~$4.50 or one gallon of premium to charge 22 kWh. This is likely why Teslas are EVERYWHERE in the Bay Area.

MY_efficiency_5_31_2021.jpg

so what is your point?

As stated earlier, for Majority of consumers it does not matter as long as it can travel the CLAIMED Range.. in Tesla's case, IT IS NEVER TRUE, please refer to the video I posted above.

Unfortunately i live near Palm Springs. AC full blast or close to full blast all the time. 150 mile trip left me with about 4 miles left when I made it home. Try driving any SoCal freeway at 65 lol. RIP. Overall pretty bummed to get such an underwhelming experience, from range, speaker box quality carpets, cavernous boxes for a console, (all requiring various aftermarket fixes).

speaker box quality carpets,

Lolol!

I assume you test drove one before dropping 50k so you knew what you were getting.

Jokes aside, the way I think of it is a way for them to save costs for themselves and put a little extra labor on the consumer.

They could offer an a la carte list of options for buyers to choose from, but that makes it more expensive since someone (at tesla) would have to individualize cars (other than paint, interior color and wheels).

Instead they give you a blank canvas and make you do the add-ons. If I still lived in an apartment I'd appreciate not having to pay for homelink. As a home owner, I wish it came standard from the factory. Instead I needed to buy it. At least the guy came to my house to do the install.

Honestly, if you went to an upholstery shop and spent $5k-15k, you'd have a very nice interior for less than the cost of a BMW. Would be nice if tesla offered a premium interior though.

Unfortunately i live near Palm Springs. AC full blast or close to full blast all the time. 150 mile trip left me with about 4 miles left when I made it home. Try driving any SoCal freeway at 65 lol. RIP. Overall pretty bummed to get such an underwhelming experience, from range, speaker box quality carpets, cavernous boxes for a console, (all requiring various aftermarket fixes).
You would see an improvement in efficiency and range, mostly by maintaining a highway speed of 70 to 75, not 80 or faster. (Starting at 60 MPH, every 5 MPH increase in speed increases energy consumption by almost 10%. driving at 80 MPH is ~20% less efficient than 70 MPH.

Install a quality ceramic tint film on all of the glass to reduce how hard the HVAC must work during daytime hours.

Turn on the Recirculate Cabin Air setting under Climate Controls to reduce the load on the AC.

Park in the shade or purchase an insulated sun shade for the windshield and roof.

Precondition before driving for 5 to 10 minutes to cool down the passenger cabin.

Keep tires properly inflated; 42 PSI when measured cold.

Besides the suggestions @jcanoe mentioned I bought a sunshade for the ceiling

Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade by BASENOR ( I'm sure there are many others). It was cheap. Easy install. easily removable if you want to and it cuts the heat dramatically

I second the sun shade. I had the Basenor one but recently went to the Otrifowd one in my 3. It is one of the retractable one and they make them for the Y as well. This thing is the bomb. It blocks so much more heat and I can easily open it when we want more light. Yesterday it was 110F outside with intense sun. I couldn't even tell when normally my head would be baked. It is somewhat translucent so cabin isn't really dark because of it. Not cheap but worth every penny.

1689863383410.png

I second the sun shade. I had the Basenor one but recently went to the Otrifowd one in my 3. It is one of the retractable one and they make them for the Y as well. This thing is the bomb. It blocks so much more heat and I can easily open it when we want more light. Yesterday it was 110F outside with intense sun. I couldn't even tell when normally my head would be baked. It is somewhat translucent so cabin isn't really dark because of it. Not cheap but worth every penny.

View attachment 958017

REALLY like the install ease etc of this one. Main worry/issue is that I have great tint on there already, and wondering if this will help, and if it will cause glass to break from heat