Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR to MYP switchover thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There seems to be a lot of us who have paid the difference to upgrade from MYLR to MYP. We all have our reasons whether it’s to speed up the delivery of the vehicle or because after watching hours of YouTube, you were captivated by the thought of being shoved into the upholstery by the 3.5 0-60 launch. Whatever the reason m, I wanted to start a thread dedicated to those who have made the switch so that we can share information and Comte closely track EDD, VIN assignments etc… My personal experience is still in flux and goes as follows…

OD March 8, 2022 MYLR| White| Black| No FSD| No Tow
EDD mainly stayed at Oct 22- Dec 17

June 15 switched exterior paint to Black
EDD remained Oct 22- Dec 17

Upgraded to MYP July 5
5 days later new EDD updated to July 19-Aug 2

July 16 EDD, July 21-Aug 2
July 22 EDD, July 27-Aug 9
July 23 EDD, July 28-Aug 8

I did it because I knew eventually I was going to do acceleration boost which then made it just a 3k difference and still wouldn't be as fast off the line, but I also knew I'd eventually change out wheels, add a spoiler, and all the little extras. In the end the price difference wasn't big enough to keep me from upgrading. Also I wanted to lock in a lower rate before they started jumping up. I figured MYP with lower rate now is better than MYLR with higher rate later. It was a 5k price jump for us. I could have saved a little more by going white and black but then we wouldn't get getting what we wanted.

Reactions: walex19 and Bridge
I did it for 3 reasons. It has been on my mind if I would prefer the “fun” factor of the MYP vs the MYLR. I drove the M3 (not P) and for some reason did notice it was a little tighter in handling vs the MYLR but for practical reasons needed to go with a Y since we often have guests with us.

Also, been jerked around with EDD changes and was willing to wait till august when I ordered late Feb (2022). I did not want to wait till next year and it was looking more and more like that would be the case.

The most important factor was when I came to the realization that my Ford Fusion energi trade in was losing value the longer it took. I’m guessing that an August vs an January delivery would cover 1/2 the difference (or more) of a MYLR vs an MYP. I also figured the MYP would always have a higher value so technically, it wouldn’t really cost me more if I switched.

I switched on 7/14 and waited 5 days for the EDD. I got an EDD on day 5 and 2 hours later, got a Vin. Picking up vehicle on the 26th. I purchased the 2019 Ford Fusion in March 2020 and my trade was about the same as what I originally paid. Ironically, when I refreshed my kbb page that I used for research 2 days later, the value dropped about $600 so trade ins are def on the way down.

I did it for 3 reasons. It has been on my mind if I would prefer the “fun” factor of the MYP vs the MYLR. I drove the M3 (not P) and for some reason did notice it was a little tighter in handling vs the MYLR but for practical reasons needed to go with a Y since we often have guests with us.

Also, been jerked around with EDD changes and was willing to wait till august when I ordered late Feb (2022). I did not want to wait till next year and it was looking more and more like that would be the case.

The most important factor was when I came to the realization that my Ford Fusion energi trade in was losing value the longer it took. I’m guessing that an August vs an January delivery would cover 1/2 the difference (or more) of a MYLR vs an MYP. I also figured the MYP would always have a higher value so technically, it wouldn’t really cost me more if I switched.

I switched on 7/14 and waited 5 days for the EDD. I got an EDD on day 5 and 2 hours later, got a Vin. Picking up vehicle on the 26th. I purchased the 2019 Ford Fusion in March 2020 and my trade was about the same as what I originally paid. Ironically, when I refreshed my kbb page that I used for research 2 days later, the value dropped about $600 so trade ins are def on the way down.
Yep, and even though the web page says Aug-Oct if you order a P right now (which I did last week), my estimated delivery is now DEC - FEB! :(

So badly hope something happens to cause my Model Y LR trade value to stay high. More fuel shortages or something maybe? One can hope!

Ordered the LR November last yr and recently changed to P, got a vin after a week and took Delivery about 2 weeks after getting my vin. I actually didn't want to upgrade due to the bigger wheels and lowered suspension but I kept getting my EDD pushed further out and needed the vehicle before Sept

Ordered the LR November last yr and recently changed to P, got a vin after a week and took Delivery about 2 weeks after getting my vin. I actually didn't want to upgrade due to the bigger wheels and lowered suspension but I kept getting my EDD pushed further out and needed the vehicle before Sept
Tesla is doing everything to max their profit margin. More early LR order switch to P, more profit even it costs LR order much longer wait time

Did it because the price difference for me was essentially $2k. As I was going to get the LR with the 20 inch wheels since I didn’t like the Gemini wheels… I did however like the 21 inch wheels as well so $2k in price difference for me to get everything that comes with MYP including the faster delivery time just made sense. I didn’t jump anyone one in line though since I switched mine literally the next day:

7/17 - ordered LR (original EDD of Dec 12 - Feb 8)

7/18 - upgraded to performance, took 7 days to change the EDD but now it says Sept. 15 - Oct. 20th)

Black, black interior no tow hitch, no FSD.

Based on everything I hear, not many regret getting the P over the LR. I actually heard on some YouTube videos that the ride has improved on the P to where it’s harder to tell the difference in ride but still has the tight suspension that creates more of the “fun” factor. This is only what I hear and not from experience. Upfront price isn’t a concern for me since I will make it up on the car value and extra trade in value now vs Jan. Only cost issue I have are longevity of wheels and extra $500+ when replacing all 4.

Based on everything I hear, not many regret getting the P over the LR. I actually heard on some YouTube videos that the ride has improved on the P to where it’s harder to tell the difference in ride but still has the tight suspension that creates more of the “fun” factor. This is only what I hear and not from experience. Upfront price isn’t a concern for me since I will make it up on the car value and extra trade in value now vs Jan. Only cost issue I have are longevity of wheels and extra $500+ when replacing all 4.
I’ve heard and read this as well. Looking forward to comparing the P with our friends’ LR.

I'm thinking about upgrading to P for the same reason even after SA told me it is not worth the additional cost. Ordered LR 11/24/21 and there seems to be no delivery date in sight.

I switched from MYLR to MYP for the same reasons as much others, plus I do like the look of the car with the lower suspension and carbon fiber spoiler. I am going to have 19" wheels ready to put on the car right after delivery as my wife puts a lot of miles on cars (20-25k annually) and I would rather have wheels I can rotate for longer lasting (as well as cheaper) tires. Plus, hopefully more range. Really hoping to have the car next month, but who knows. Will be installing the Wall Connector in the coming weekends.

MYP | White/White | No Tow | No EAP/FSD | Atlanta
OD: 5/29 | 07/07 Upgraded to MYP
EDD1: 08/10 - 09/16 | EDD2: 08/18 - 09/15

Reactions: MacO512 and Bridge
I switched from MYLR to MYP for the same reasons as much others, plus I do like the look of the car with the lower suspension and carbon fiber spoiler. I am going to have 19" wheels ready to put on the car right after delivery as my wife puts a lot of miles on cars (20-25k annually) and I would rather have wheels I can rotate for longer lasting (as well as cheaper) tires. Plus, hopefully more range. Really hoping to have the car next month, but who knows. Will be installing the Wall Connector in the coming weekends.

MYP | White/White | No Tow | No EAP/FSD | Atlanta
OD: 5/29 | 07/07 Upgraded to MYP
EDD1: 08/10 - 09/16 | EDD2: 08/18 - 09/15

Yeah I hate having staggered wheels, they should at least have a square wheel option, even if it was a $0 option for the Gemini.

Although I can't do a MYP since its only available in 5 seat; wish more than the wheels they had the 7 seat MYP option.

I guess once I get my MYLR I could consider one future day buying a MYP to switch the rear seats... basically construct my own MYP7 then sell the MYLR with the 5 seats from the MYP..... Never thought of ordering two MY back in November but I guess I could have.... Ultimately I'll probably just buy acceleration boost, and live with the ~4.0 vs 3.5 0-60 performance in the MYLR7 w/ AB. I got a Rivian R1S on order too that should get 0-60 of 3.0, freaking impressive for a much larger heavier vehicle.

Reactions: tyler_k1
Yeah I hate having staggered wheels, they should at least have a square wheel option, even if it was a $0 option for the Gemini.

Although I can't do a MYP since its only available in 5 seat; wish more than the wheels they had the 7 seat MYP option.

I guess once I get my MYLR I could consider one future day buying a MYP to switch the rear seats... basically construct my own MYP7 then sell the MYLR with the 5 seats from the MYP..... Never thought of ordering two MY back in November but I guess I could have.... Ultimately I'll probably just buy acceleration boost, and live with the ~4.0 vs 3.5 0-60 performance in the MYLR7 w/ AB. I got a Rivian R1S on order too that should get 0-60 of 3.0.
I totally agree with the lack of wheel options but I think it has to do with cost savings and the less options there are, the more cost is saved on the end products across the line.

I totally agree with the lack of wheel options but I think it has to do with cost savings and the less options there are, the more cost is saved on the end products across the line.
Giving a Gemini wheel option (that is probably most common wheel) on the MYP doesn't add any more parts to the MY production line. Probably saves Tesla money (assume Gemini are cheaper to build than 21's) plus they could likely EPA certify it for longer range if they wanted to increase appeal of the higher margin MYP.

Yeah I actually just purchased the 18 inch tsportline, hope they don't look too small just wanted a smoother ride

We switched because we couldn't stand the wait. Even though we really wanted the third row with kids.

Original: MYLR7 MSM/white no FSD no Tow

OD - 5/7
EDD1 - Oct-Dec
EDD2 - 12/8-2/2

7/15 Changed to MYP black/white

EDD3 - Jan-April 2023
EDD4 - 8/16 - 9/20
EDD5 - 8/1 - 8/15
EDD6 - 8/3 - 8/14

Now just waiting on VIN....

When we changed original order to MYP on 7/15 we also ordered a second car: MYLR7 black/white no FSD no Tow

OD - 7/15
EDD1 - Jan - April 2023
EDD2 - 3/2 - 4/27

Reactions: Bridge