Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR vs. M3SR RWD -- relative value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We placed an MYLR order in early Feb. However, the net prices after taxes, destination fee, tax credits and state tax rebates for us are approximately:
MYLR: $60.5K (assumes $3750 fed'l tax rebate based on delivery timetable)
M3SR RWD: $39K (assumes quicker delivery & $7500 fed'l tax rebate)
There are of course many personal/individual considerations involved with this, however I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts about the value of each of these options from those who are familiar with both models. Are the longer range, greater cabin space/storage and AWD worth the extra $21K for the MYLR?

We placed an MYLR order in early Feb. However, the net prices after taxes, destination fee, tax credits and state tax rebates for us are approximately:
MYLR: $60.5K (assumes $3750 fed'l tax rebate based on delivery timetable)
M3SR RWD: $39K (assumes quicker delivery & $7500 fed'l tax rebate)
There are of course many personal/individual considerations involved with this, however I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts about the value of each of these options from those who are familiar with both models. Are the longer range, greater cabin space/storage and AWD worth the extra $21K for the MYLR?

I’ve owned both. The 3 RWD is very much a low riding sedan with ok acceleration. Loved it but I gave it up because my bum left knee kept getting torqued on exit and I was limping for the entire duration of ownership. Same thing happened with I owned a MINI electric.

The Y is very much a crossover where you can slide in seamlessly and it’s noticeably quicker and vastly more usable space with a hatch. Range and faster charging too but 3 RWD was fine because of the efficiency and with the LFP it was almost always charged to 100%

Very little experience but I don’t think the y is worth that more than a rwd. Rwd has plenty of acceleration for everyday driving.

we just picked up a M3P for my wife, but I would have preferred the y as it’s much roomier and similar price.

I say rwd is The better deal.

My use case may be different from yours.
We didn't need the extra space, and test drove a M3LR and a MYLR on the same day.
I preferred the M3LR, so that is what we got, but folks will answer both ways depending on what the like or expect.
I've rented a MYLR on a trip last fall, and after driving it for 2 weeks, I find we would have been fine with the MY, but still prefer my M3LR, so I made the right choice for us.
Don't have experience driving in snow on this car yet, so can't say about AWD benefit there, but snow tires are better with either.
As to the range, we have done a lot of road trips visiting our kids.
In the 21 months / 43K miles I've had this car, we've taken 5 trips of ~4Kmiles, and are planning a 10K mile trip.
Before purchasing, I compared several example trips we wanted to make using ABR selecting M3LR, M3SR+, and google maps as a baseline.
I found that the M3LR added ~15% to the travel time for charging relative to baseline, and the M3SR+ added ~30%.
You'd need to consider if you plan long trips, how frequently, would the time savings really matter, if you have another vehicle you'd like to use for those trips, or if you might consider renting one with longer legs to save money on your daily drive.
We only have a single vehicle, when we took a trip to Carlsbad Caverns last year, I'm not sure the M3SR+ would have made it with stopping overnight for L2 charging.