Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR vs Mach-e vs RAV4 Prime

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was so close to buying an 2021/2022 Outback before test driving an EV (ID.4).. that sold me. Didn't want a RAV4, Tucson, CX-5, etc. I can see why Subaru owners are so fanatic about their cars.

So... the RAV4 XLE Premium is a gas sh*tbox. Hated my test drive. However, folks online said the hybrid RAV4 drives much better (smoother) and the Prime is even better (quieter and even smoother) than that. It's true. The EV/gas transition is mostly seamless. I thought I would hate it when the gas engine turned on but I don't notice it except when revving hard over 65mph. In EV mode, the car is like an EV SUV. Quiet, fast, instantaneous power.

While driving, I watch the Prime's energy diagram.

03k33BHiDuOoxMxZwaFvG7N-2.fit_lim.size_768x.jpg

Below 20mph it tries to use the battery even in HV (gas hybrid mode - which you can manually trigger or happens when the EV mode is depleted). The car never allows you to drop the main battery below some percentage and keeps a reserved for the "hybrid" mode.

Between 20-45mph it triggers the use of the gas engine - those are the only speeds where you can feel the starter kick the engine on (if you switch to "gas hybrid" mode for the first time). The power at 45-80mph is pretty incredible for this compact SUV. It must combine the gas and electric motor to accelerate to generate the "300hp" it has on paper. That's base Model 3 power.

Today, I drove 30+ miles at 70+mph to Disney Springs on the interstate in EV mode. Zero gas used. This isn't a Prius. I was actually expecting the gas mode to kick in but it did not... I would need to speed up to 85mph or higher for the gas engine to start. That's enough range and power for most commutes IMO.

EDIT: On my 100+ mile trip back from the dealer, I drove at 75+ mph in gas-only mode and the mpg was high 30s...which is really efficient for that speed.

Today, I drove 30+ miles at 70+mph to Disney Springs on the interstate in EV mode. Zero gas used. This isn't a Prius. I was actually expecting the gas mode to kick in but it did not... I would need to speed up to 85mph or higher for the gas engine to start. That's enough range and power for most commutes IMO.

EDIT: On my 100+ mile trip back from the dealer, I drove at 75+ mph in gas-only mode and the mpg was high 30s...which is really efficient for that speed.
The Prius Prime actually goes to 83ish in EV mode too without kicking on the gas engine.

Reactions: voxel and Daekwan
I went from ID.4 to Model Y to Mach-E to RAV4 Prime...

I have to say the Prime is IMPRESSIVE. I thought I would find it MEH and trade it in as soon as my red/white MYLR arrived but now I'm not so sure.
  • It's quiet in EV mode.
  • I measured the highway noise on the Mach-E at 75mph... mid-60s dB. The Prime is low-70s in HV mode (gas at 75mph) and low-60 in EV mode. It's quieter than the ID.4 IMO in EV mode.
  • Ride comfort is great in both EV and gas mode. Similar to ID.4.
  • It can go to 85 mph in EV mode!!! (it's not a wimpy hybrid)
  • 42 miles range in EV mode.
  • 550 miles in gas/HV mode.
  • It's wickedly fast. 0 to 60 in 5.5 seconds. It feels faster than my Model Y for some reason.
  • The gas mode (HV) on highway speeds is also very powerful/peppy.
  • Boring Toyota quality. Reliable, plain, functional. Some love it. Some hate it.
  • Infotainment is early 2010s quality with CarPlay thrown in but it's functional and not glitchy.
  • Wired CarPlay just works... had glitchy experience with the ID.4 and Mach-E.
  • If you can get it at MSRP.. .it's cheaaap. Like $42K minus $7500 tax credit
  • It drives like classic SUV. The Y and Mach-E are crossovers IMO. The ID.4 is a classical SUV.
Good Lord Vogel.. you change cars more often than I change the channel on TV?

Do you mind me asking how long & how many miles you've put on each vehicle? Its actually amazing to have you a resource.. as you can provide a very unique real world experience of each of these vehicles and compare them to each other.

Reactions: Suns_PSD and voxel
Good Lord Vogel.. you change cars more often than I change the channel on TV?

Do you mind me asking how long & how many miles you've put on each vehicle? Its actually amazing to have you a resource.. as you can provide a very unique real world experience of each of these vehicles and compare them to each other.

RAV4 Prime I’ve only had for a week plus so it’s too new :)

All others around 6-8 weeks? I had originally ordered a Model Y back in late August (and Mach-E too) so I acquired these EVs on whims when I stumbled upon availability. I.e demo Model Y found on the inventory after I had a glitchy ID.4 experience. I knew even if I loved the Model Y or Mach-E or ID.4 I could sell them and buy the order I had arriving in mid 2022. I still have an ID.4 Pro S Gradient in Kings Red order.

The ID.4 I drove around 1800 miles. I tried 100% DC charging with it and visited two dozen L2 chargers (even acquired physical ChargePoint, SemaConnect, EVGo RFID cards). As it was my “first EV” I forced myself to stop at nearby L2 charger on every trip. I quickly learnt home charging is the best method and L2 charging is a waste of time for BEVs except at workplaces or hotels.

I drove 2K+ miles each on the Model Y and Mach-E and with a mix of home/DC charging and highway/local roads. I was trying to figure out of any of these EVs could be my my next long term car. BlueCruise, front charge port, 360 camera, cross traffic and blind spot monitors are my favorite things of the Mach-E. The Model Y has wicked acceleration, problem free Supercharging, Sentry/Dashcam, and the easiest to use infotainment/navigation system. The ID.4 has an incredible turning radius, the smoothest ride and suspension, and with the ground clearance & rear visibility & traditional SUV rear cargo area/shape (with a rear wiper) feels like a gas SUV that has been electrified. It doesn’t try to be quirky or different as a selling point.

My main gripe about the Model Y has been driving/parking in dense urban areas. The poor rear visibility, mediocre turning radius, and lack of driving aids make it unpleasant to drive in tiny multilevel parking garages and chaotic parking lots. It may seem minor but I’m in tourist hell Orlando and a Y will probably get scratched up during parking within a year unless I stay away completely from any tourists… lol.

The infotainment and mapping software is what hurts the Mach-E, especially when compared against Tesla. It's clunky, sluggish.....

The interior was dark, and just came in the one black color.

The dealer we experience was atrocious; above MSRP pricing, inaccurate information about delays - probably an attempt to get me to buy existing overpriced inventory.

I don't even think the Toyota is an EV?

I don't even think the Toyota is an EV?

Owners are driving it like one. I heard folks bragging about driving 5K-10K miles and filling up gas once every 6 months to prevent stale gas. It’s an engineering marvel if a bit boring inside and outside. It’s a good stopgap PHEV to a full EV lifestyle - especially for those who live in cold climates and until we have non flammable batteries. Li-ion batteries are a stop gap themselves. Liquid electrolyte batteries are a lawsuit/recall timebomb IMO.

Just for a point of reference, I took a look at Carmax to see what they have for a 2021 RAV4 Prime SE.
Currently there is only 1 available nationwide there, and it is 51K (before tax and delivery) with 4K miles.
I know that all used car prices are up, and I didn't check to see what options it has, but it is definitely a ways up from a 38K MSRP.

Owners are driving it like one. I heard folks bragging about driving 5K-10K miles and filling up gas once every 6 months to prevent stale gas. It’s an engineering marvel if a bit boring inside and outside. It’s a good stopgap PHEV to a full EV lifestyle - especially for those who live in cold climates and until we have non flammable batteries. Li-ion batteries are a stop gap themselves. Liquid electrolyte batteries are a lawsuit/recall timebomb IMO.
My wife's car is a Chevy Volt w/50 mi of electric only and she rarely needs gas unless we take it on a trip.

Reactions: mcsenerd and voxel
I can easily see that, I have a Prius Prime and regularly get 2000mi/tank. The Rav4 has nearly twice the EV range so those numbers are not surprising.

I have a LR Model Y on order with an EDD in Feb. I had been looking for a Rav4 Prime and every now and then I get a call from a Toyota dealer offering a Rav4 Prime, but also adding on a $5K - $15K dealer mark up. I'm in Colorado and haven't seen one going at MSRP here, but I read you can maybe get them from dealers on the east coast (often Maryland or NJ) at MSRP.

My Model Y was ordered back when it was priced $5K lower than the current price. A couple of days ago I got a call from a Toyota dealer in Pueblo, CO offering a 2022 Rav4 Prime XSE with the Premium package; but with their $5K dealer mark up it costs about the same as the Tesla.

It's tough enough to accept a $5K dealer mark up, but also difficult to accept that a Rav4 can cost the same as a Tesla Model Y.

I must say I was a bit tempted to go with the Rav4, just because I'm a little worried about all the issues I see here with the Model Y. I also check a Rav4 Prime forum and don't see nearly the same degree of problems (after all, it's a Toyota!).

I'm still planning to go with the Model Y because I prefer all electric, and I'm glad it at least has a 4 year warranty. I'm kind of hoping that dealer doesn't call back and offer the Rav4 at MSRP. In that case I'm not sure what I would decide.

Reactions: Daekwan and tm1v2
@PineNut go ahead and buy the Prime. Then take delivery of the LR. Sell the one you don’t want… Profit!
Good point!

I have thought about that and it's nice to know I could easily sell one of those cars and probably not lose anything if I don't like it.

I also think I'd have the best chance of a profit selling a Model Y, especially since I'd be paying $5K below MSRP vs. the $5K over MSRP offer for the Rav4 Prime.

I have a 2020 Chevy Bolt now, it's been a very nice car for me, and I am now sold on going all electric. However, it's been recalled for a battery replacement due to fires and GM won't give me any idea when they will have a battery replacement for a 2020 model (2017-2019 models are given top priority). I'm guessing it won't happen for another year or so.

I'm currently going through a buy back process with GM for the Chevy Bolt. I think I'll get an offer in late January, shortly before the EDD for the Model Y. It would be nice to have an AWD electric car for here in Colorado (not that we've gotten much snow yet). Hopefully it all works out!

I ordered a MYLR back in October (current EDD is April/May) and about 3 weeks ago I also put down a deposit on a Rav4 Prime. I should have done that back in October, the R4P EDD is "8-12 months" currently.
Yea, that is going to be a while. That got haxed hard.

I ordered a MYLR back in October (current EDD is April/May) and about 3 weeks ago I also put down a deposit on a Rav4 Prime. I should have done that back in October, the R4P EDD is "8-12 months" currently.
The tax credit for the R4P will halve starting in Q3 (predicted). Folks are mad rushing for a Prime currently... if you don't need it now I'd wait until late 2022 to buy one.

If I were you I'd get the Model Y instead of the Toyota Rav4 Prime. Tesla may be able to get your order delivered early. There are a lot of benefits going 100% EV, including not having to worry about gasoline engine maintenance.