Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR vs Mach-e vs RAV4 Prime

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you getting both or just one?
Definitely only keeping one. My main concern with the MYLR is long term reliability and the phantom braking which makes it unsuitable for road trips (at least for me). I might take MYLR delivery and if I don't like it by the time the R4P comes up for me I will sell the MYLR. Unlike many, I am not counting on making bank by selling a used Model Y, so I see a possible risk with this approach.

The alternative is to transfer my MYLR order to someone who wants it and just wait for the R4P. The financial downside there is that the $7500 tax credit goes down to $3750 probably on July 1st 2022, and then $1875 on Jan 1st 2023.

Definitely only keeping one. My main concern with the MYLR is long term reliability and the phantom braking which makes it unsuitable for road trips (at least for me). I might take MYLR delivery and if I don't like it by the time the R4P comes up for me I will sell the MYLR. Unlike many, I am not counting on making bank by selling a used Model Y, so I see a possible risk with this approach.

The alternative is to transfer my MYLR order to someone who wants it and just wait for the R4P. The financial downside there is that the $7500 tax credit goes down to $3750 probably on July 1st 2022, and then $1875 on Jan 1st 2023.

While I love my R4P... I much prefer the Model Y on the highway now. The wind noise, gas engine noise, and mediocre ACC make the R4P less enjoyable for trips. Also the base audio system is atrocious. Don't buy an R4P without the premium audio or you will regret it like me. I will use the Prime when necessary on longer trips where I don't want to stop for charging.

On city streets, I still prefer the R4P in EV mode. It's light and nimble. If curb something I just run over it without damage... lol.

It's weird. I intended the R4P to be a long haul car but I'm using it as a grocery hauler.

• Informative
Reactions: xls_ and tm1v2
While I love my R4P... I much prefer the Model Y on the highway now. The wind noise, gas engine noise, and mediocre ACC make the R4P less enjoyable for trips. Also the base audio system is atrocious. Don't buy an R4P without the premium audio or you will regret it like me. I will use the Prime when necessary on longer trips where I don't want to stop for charging.

On city streets, I still prefer the R4P in EV mode. It's light and nimble. If curb something I just run over it without damage... lol.

It's weird. I intended the R4P to be a long haul car but I'm using it as a grocery hauler.
I'm not sure if they figured it out yet, but I have OpenPilot in my Prius Prime and its amazing on long trips. 100% hands off for hours at a time. I heard Toyota started encrypting their CANBUS stuff (?) on the R4P, but they may have cracked the code by now. Seriously though, a great add on if you're in stop/go a lot or take long trips.

I'm not sure if they figured it out yet, but I have OpenPilot in my Prius Prime and its amazing on long trips. 100% hands off for hours at a time. I heard Toyota started encrypting their CANBUS stuff (?) on the R4P, but they may have cracked the code by now. Seriously though, a great add on if you're in stop/go a lot or take long trips.

I was very interested in Comma AI 3 and OpenPilot but like you said Toyota started encrypting their CANBUS or key message (there’s an open bounty to find a solution) in recent cars - specifically the R4P. It would fix the ACC issue but I didn’t realize how bad the audio was until I picked up my MYLR recently. It’s hard to return to AM radio when you’ve heard how crisp CDs can sound. Maybe I should just listen to oldies stations? :)

Reactions: Tha_Ape
I was very interested in Comma AI 3 and OpenPilot but like you said Toyota started encrypting their CANBUS or key message (there’s an open bounty to find a solution) in recent cars - specifically the R4P. It would fix the ACC issue but I didn’t realize how bad the audio was until I picked up my MYLR recently. It’s hard to return to AM radio when you’ve heard how crisp CDs can sound. Maybe I should just listen to oldies stations? :)
Have you looked into upgrading the R4P audio with some aftermarket components? If I end up with an R4P without the JBL that's what I would do.

Also, interesting that you don' like the R4P ACC and are ok with the MY TACC. I think I need to do another MY test drive and maximize my freeway time to test Autopilot a bit.

Reactions: tm1v2
You are doing the EXACT comparison I was doing when shopping for a new car. Rav4 Prime was by first pick, but the dealership wanted 11k over MSRP. That pushed me to the full EV market. Ford was looking promising, but I was concerned about the recharge stations. I'm honestly less concerned now than I was a few months ago, but a few months ago I chose Tesla due to the network.

I still get salty when I see a Rav4 Prime though ;) That said, I dont regret my decision. But if Toyota would have had the top-of-the-line Rav4 Prime in stock for MSRP, it would have been a slam dunk for them. I'm just not paying $11k over retail.
I agree about the prime, it looks like a great car if you still want ability to use gas, but want a EV. Just wish you can test drive it and buy it for MSRP. I hope this whole supply issue won't last too much longer (ex: lasting for years).

I agree about the prime, it looks like a great car if you still want ability to use gas, but want a EV. Just wish you can test drive it and buy it for MSRP. I hope this whole supply issue won't last too much longer (ex: lasting for years).
Well before there were shortages of vehicles when the RAV4 Prime was first introduced, it was never going to be a high volume vehicle. Only like 20,000 or 50,000 units a year.

The figure I'm (poorly) remembering was from the beginning of 2021. So they only produced 5,000 of those cars in 2021? Ouch.
That 5k figure doesn't look remotely accurate, if this source is to be believed.

That 5k figure doesn't look remotely accurate, if this source is to be believed.
Lol, they really ignored the Model Y there. Not trying to be a Tesla fanboi, but that is a bizarrely inaccurate headline. A quick search says Tesla sold over 60k Model Y in the USA in 2021, about 3x the Rav4 Prime.

Edit: I had the wrong Model Y sales number, it's much higher for whole USA, see @voxel's post below and thanks for the correction!

Last edited:
Lol, they really ignored the Model Y there. Not trying to be a Tesla fanboi, but that is a bizarrely inaccurate headline. A quick search says Tesla sold over 60k Model Y in the USA in 2021, about 3x the Rav4 Prime.

More than that. 185K Model Ys sold in the US in 2021. 60K is the number for CA alone.

The Prime was only supposed to be 5K in the first year but that got bumped to 20K and somehow they produced 27K or more. A large shipment of them arrived in Dec which is how I got mine.

• Informative
More than that. 185K Model Ys sold in the US in 2021. 60K is the number for CA alone.

The Prime was only supposed to be 5K in the first year but that got bumped to 20K and somehow they produced 27K or more. A large shipment of them arrived in Dec which is how I got mine.

Yeah...not even remotely close. The Model Y will outsell the Rav 4 itself in 2022. Its a faaaaar superior drive too.

Keep your foot ready on the accelerator to override it just in case. I think Tesla will have the phantom braking problem solved soon (I hope). These systems on any car / brand may have issues. You are the backup and need to always be alert. Considering this, the Model Y to me is a smart future-ready choice to go with, and I am happy with mine overall.

Reactions: xls_
What a load of horse bleep response by the Torque News author. Claiming that the Model Y didn't count as it's a $60,000 to $80,000 vehicle. It might be right now, but we all know the prices increased quite a bit throughout 2021 to get there. My SR Model Y was $40,990 with the blue paint. LR Model Ys were $49,900. RAV4 Primes were having $10,000 markups if you could find one. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla sold more Standard Range Model Ys in the short time they were available than Toyota sold of RAV4 Primes.

What a load of horse bleep response by the Torque News author. Claiming that the Model Y didn't count as it's a $60,000 to $80,000 vehicle. It might be right now, but we all know the prices increased quite a bit throughout 2021 to get there. My SR Model Y was $40,990 with the blue paint. LR Model Ys were $49,900. RAV4 Primes were having $10,000 markups if you could find one. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla sold more Standard Range Model Ys in the short time they were available than Toyota sold of RAV4 Primes.
The point was the Prime sales figures :) But sure, get out the pitchforks and torches gang, we got some click bait websites to take down! His comment in the comments thread was pretty jerk ish for sure.

I was considering RAV4 Prime and still keep as an option, but damn, the design of the car and the interior screams all the way back to 2000s... Its probably a very good vehicle for the money, but I just cannot go back in time.