Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR vs MYP, suspension and ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Switched to 18 inch wheel on my MYLR and it’s about 5. As stiff as my F90 M5 in sport plus mode. Some of the stiffness problem is the structure rigidity issue for EVs. The bumps feel harsh through vibration of the whole car.

Upsize the tires on the MYP to something more reasonable and the ride becomes a 6.25 (using the scale above).
Yea but I dunno about a two point drop. The problem with the Tesla damping is it's high amount of low speed bump compression and cheats like using tall bump stops as extra spring rate. They really should just bring someone in who knows how to tune heavy ass cars like the guru who did the chassis tuning on the Veyrons, specifically what he achieved on the SS.

I have noticed no issues at all with the ride quality of the MYP. We have sports cars and two Priuses as comparison vehicles. This thing rides like a Cadillac compared to our WRX. It may depend on what you are coming from and are used to driving. I have put over 5k miles on the MYP in 5 weeks, and drive mostly on awful urban streets.

Reactions: Corndart
After a concerning test drive of an MYLR with 20" inductions last fall, no complaints after 1300 miles on a 2022 MYP. It's possible the Michelin all seasons help, or perhaps Tesla has made some recent changes and tuned it a bit better. Either way it meets my expectations and that's before swapping out a set of powder coated Gemini's still sitting in the garage.

Reactions: Goleta and morbidz
I came from a 2013 Chevy Volt. When I first got my 2022 performance model y, I was concerned by a rough ride due to 21 inch low Profile tires & sportier suspension than MYLR. However, at around 4,000 miles I began noticing the ride was less rough and cabin noise transmitted in to cabin decreased on rough roads. On smooth roads, it is very quiet. My family never had a complaint about ride quality.

Is the MYP really rougher ride compared to MYLR? Or is it pretty close and hard to notice?

I only ever drove a MYLR in Florida, with the 19" rims and on nice roads. I never drove a MYLR or MYP in Michigan.

Got the vehicle in Michigan. Michigan roads are like a war zone. Michigan spends $370/yr per person on road funding - which is the least of any state. The MYP cannot clear speed bumps in parking lots without scraping. Every crack or pothole is picked up and transferred to the vehicle interior in a very noticable way. It contributed to cabin noise, and definitely the overall ride quality.

The MYP, especially those coming from luxury vehicles like Mercedes, will feel it is very sporty - and rough. If people compare the MYP to their previous sports car experience, and report it is fine; it is important to consider that they might not have daily drove it, or had a family in the vehicle.

Look at how much sidewall you are left with on the MYP - not much. Look at how much sidewall BMW will leave on most rims, with the exception of their largest rim options. BMW is great with offering 5-6-10 rim options. And 3/4th of them are going to have more sidewall.

There are a few things people are doing to improve ride quality, while staying on Uberturbine rims.
  • Increase tire size. Stick the back tire on the front. Buy some 295/35 tires for the rear
  • MPP Comfort Coilovers. They are supposed to be sporty, but offering better comfort
The cost of the PUP, 20" Induction rims combined with the increase in MYLR pricing has caused a lot of people to purchase a MYP. As a result, a lot of people are making these kind of changes. Expect backorders on Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 295/395/21 tires and the MPP Coilovers (MPP Coilovers are out of stock right now). Based on reports from users; this appears to be a tolerable setup that people are happy with. I don't think people will be sad or disappointed with a MYP - it is awesome. But they might get annoyed with the stress that the rims introduce trying to avoid potholes.

I agree with all of the above observations.

I contend that the most important part of this discussion is the regional differences of road quality. I know I sound like a broken record, but...the DFW regions is notorious for its aging concrete roadways. (ditto for driving west of Little Rock, AR, and I20 through Shreveport, LA) Uneven concrete slabs in some areas are absolute nightmares for ANY car. That said, I modified with MPP coilovers, which have tamed the often uncontrolled feeling of the stock LR suspension. Expansion cracks can still be quite harsh, but much less than stock.

I can't imagine driving a MYP on many of these roads. I just don't like the feeling that the car itself is getting beaten to death.

125MPH: if your daily drive is on aging surfaces, I'd recommend avoiding the MYP, staying with 19" or even 18", and strongly consider budgeting for the MPP coilovers. Single data point, for sure.

I agree with all of the above observations.

I contend that the most important part of this discussion is the regional differences of road quality. I know I sound like a broken record, but...the DFW regions is notorious for its aging concrete roadways. (ditto for driving west of Little Rock, AR, and I20 through Shreveport, LA) Uneven concrete slabs in some areas are absolute nightmares for ANY car. That said, I modified with MPP coilovers, which have tamed the often uncontrolled feeling of the stock LR suspension. Expansion cracks can still be quite harsh, but much less than stock.

I can't imagine driving a MYP on many of these roads. I just don't like the feeling that the car itself is getting beaten to death.

125MPH: if your daily drive is on aging surfaces, I'd recommend avoiding the MYP, staying with 19" or even 18", and strongly consider budgeting for the MPP coilovers. Single data point, for sure.
Agreed on that stretch of highway and the DFW area in general. We drove it (20, to Shreveport) last summer in a Highlander and it was pretty awful, can't imagine what it would have been like in the MYP.

The drivers around DFW were also quite aggressive and insane but that's a completely different topic.

I have noticed no issues at all with the ride quality of the MYP. We have sports cars and two Priuses as comparison vehicles. This thing rides like a Cadillac compared to our WRX. It may depend on what you are coming from and are used to driving. I have put over 5k miles on the MYP in 5 weeks, and drive mostly on awful urban streets.
So true …sold my STI to Tesla for the MYP so much better and quiet.

HAHA! DFW aggressive? Insane? How about Boston? Miami? NYC? Los Angeles?

Just as with tires and suspensions, every region has its challenges. (although I agree that DALLAS, (not Fort Worth!) drivers are exceptionally aggressive...)

Ed in Ft. Worth.

To be fair, Subaru is absolutely clueless when it comes to suspension tuning, hell even STI is crap. Their idea of tuning is to export damping settings from Japan which has one of the smoothest road surfaces in the world. And Subarus don't handle great instead they have super high levels of grip. Ppl often confuse the two. For a decade after the first WRX's came out all we got were JDM coilovers and they all sucked ass. It took another decade before they realized suspension tuning in the US is a whole different ball of wax. Thank gawd KW came out with their V3 line up, saved the subie community from crap JIC and Teins... lol.