Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR vs Subaru Outback: Outback better AP and reliability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MYLR on order but am having second thoughts after learning about problems with the Tesla Vision system, phantom braking, poorly functioning TACC/AP, and crappy customer service if it's needed. I have a 100 mile round trip commute, mostly interstate highway, so AP and minimizing driver fatigue are important. I was impressed after test driving an Outback Limited. My observations:

Comfort: Tesla seats definitely more comfortable for me than Subaru.

Driver assistance: Subaru Eyesight actually worked better than AP: no PB, doesn't get confused when a lane merges into my lane, doesn't shut off if I deviate from the center of the lane to miss potholes. Frequent PB is a deal breaker because it increases driver fatigue from paying attention. AP is better on sharp curves.

Reliability: My biggest concern with Tesla. Yes, I won't have oil changes etc with an EV. But if I need service or get into an accident, the Tesla service centers in my area are notable for slow/poor service, long delays to get an appt, slow to get parts, no loaners and insufficient Uber credits for my length commute, I've heard of a Plaid in service for weeks, no loaner, no explanation, can't reach anyone by phone, no one calls back. I live over 45 minutes from a service center, so not sure if a mobile tech would come that far.

No question, the Tesla is a more modern car and more fun to drive than the Outback. But who cares about fun if the hassle factor is high? I work nearly 70 hrs/wk including the commute, so reliability is important.

For those who have driven an Outback and/or a vision only Tesla, what are your thoughts and experiences?

I really don’t think you should judge any cars reliability by reading forums. This has been true forever. Go to any forum it’s nothing but issues and complaints. After all you go there to help find solution. I say that to say there are plenty of Tesla with no issues. I have had an incredible ownership experience in 18 months. It’s interesting you are cross shopping the Suby with a Tesla. The Suby flat flat four aren’t known for their efficiency and they are not without their issues. I personally would not buy and Outback over the Model Y, ever. The driving experience and efficiency difference is so wide, I just wouldn’t consider it.

Upvote 0
Completely two different kinds of cars Model Y and Sub Outback. 3 year old Model 3 owner and experience is so great that I had bought used S while I was waiting for Model Y and have Cybertruck reservation. If you only base you purchase on the forums most vocal complainers you will never buy any car period. If you are not sure do couple of test drives if possible. Side note: M3 was purchased as a car for my wife but I liked it so much that I couldn’t drive gas cars anymore so I sold our 1yo SUV and got myself used S. Bye bye Gas cars not going back to that crap show.

Upvote 1
You have got to ask yourself whether you prefer practicality vs desires. There is no doubt having an ICE car is more practical for some folks, depending on your situations. Sub is also a lot cheaper to boot but it's also not without issues (reliability for sub is notorious but customer satisfaction is high, sort of like Tesla)

Upvote 0
Sample of one here. My 2013 Subaru Outback Limited has been a dream. 110K of mostly miles around town, which tend to be harder on cars, and it has needed nothing in 9 years beyond routine maintenance. It doesn’t have the same pickup as the Y, but still a pleasure to drive and more spacious in the back. I would gladly buy another, but I’m looking for an EV for my next car. And I’m not getting rid of my Subaru, she stays. The only downside is the poor mileage. I get around 23 mpg around town, and that $90 fill up last week hurt. However, even with gas prices where they are, a new Outback would be be cheaper in the long run because the Y is just gosh darn so expensive.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
Upvote 0
In a Tesla Forum, 80% of posts are people complaining about issues and services. But when you open a thread in the same forum asking “should I buy a XXX vehicle over a Tesla”, the answers are usually overwhelming “buy a Tesla”! So yeah you probably should not rely of the forum too much to make a decision.

I’d say buy a Tesla.

Upvote 0
Went from a Subaru 4 banger to a Model S. Then got a 3. Put 200k something like that on the Subaru. Good car, and understand the Subaru love in all the areas that love them. I just wouldn't buy another one. Subaru didn't install half of my under rocker led lights, horn didn't work, and backup camera had a fault. No one is perfect.

Funny that the Tesla brand has stayed in my garage the longest for the miles we drive. I am always open, but back to a Subaru would be a move down in my thoughts in spite of its somewhat rugged portrayal you see.

The four banger just struggles with 4 people and gear. Put a roof rack with a canoe or cargo box, and the engine cries for a break. The Tesla just goes whoosh, bye bye.

Upvote 0
I have a MYLR on order but am having second thoughts after learning about problems with the Tesla Vision system, phantom braking, poorly functioning TACC/AP, and crappy customer service if it's needed. I have a 100 mile round trip commute, mostly interstate highway, so AP and minimizing driver fatigue are important. I was impressed after test driving an Outback Limited. My observations:

Comfort: Tesla seats definitely more comfortable for me than Subaru.

Driver assistance: Subaru Eyesight actually worked better than AP: no PB, doesn't get confused when a lane merges into my lane, doesn't shut off if I deviate from the center of the lane to miss potholes. Frequent PB is a deal breaker because it increases driver fatigue from paying attention. AP is better on sharp curves.

Reliability: My biggest concern with Tesla. Yes, I won't have oil changes etc with an EV. But if I need service or get into an accident, the Tesla service centers in my area are notable for slow/poor service, long delays to get an appt, slow to get parts, no loaners and insufficient Uber credits for my length commute, I've heard of a Plaid in service for weeks, no loaner, no explanation, can't reach anyone by phone, no one calls back. I live over 45 minutes from a service center, so not sure if a mobile tech would come that far.

No question, the Tesla is a more modern car and more fun to drive than the Outback. But who cares about fun if the hassle factor is high? I work nearly 70 hrs/wk including the commute, so reliability is important.

For those who have driven an Outback and/or a vision only Tesla, what are your thoughts and experiences?
If everything you've stated is true (especially regarding bad Tesla service in your area), I don't know why you would consider a Model Y, especially at the newly updated prices.

Right now when you get into an EV, Tesla or otherwise, you're kind of signing up to be a beta tester. That's my mentality with both myself and my wife now driving EVs. I've read about countless problems here (for my MYP), and Volvo forum (for my wife's C40) so I can hopefully be prepared if/when issues arise. I would say if you can't accept this, probably hold off on EV for a while until everyone, including Tesla, improves in this regard.

Don't get me wrong, I love everything about my MYP and am so happy to drive it everyday, but I have to keep in mind that it's still relatively new tech and there will probably be growing pains.

Reactions: NeverGoingBack
Upvote 0
I think comparing the the Y to the Outback is inaccurate just do it with the XT which is turbo powered. Size is very similar.

Sure with the 18.5 gallon gas tank @$4.50. A costly $83 bucks a tank. 500 mile range is nice if you assume 27 mpg. The turbo is very thirsty.
The thing is the Subaru. (Feel free to look up my past history), was the one that took the biggest hit in the winter on the MPG for ICE. So one would be in a similar canoe with a Tesla.

Upvote 0
If reliability is your main objective, buy a Toyota or Lexus, not a Subaru.
I don't think Subarus are a slouch when it comes to reliability though. Had a 2011 Subaru Outback that suffered through a lot of cold and snowy winters. Had it for 10 years as the first owner and aside from the usual wear and tear items like battery, bulbs, and brakes, I never had any other issues. Now we also have latest gen Subaru and again no issues whatsoever.

Reactions: xls_ and pepperoni
Upvote 0
I currently have an 2020 Outback on Lease and it is the 4th outback I've had in row. The only problem I've had with the car is the head unit (Nav/Entertainment) has rebooted out of the blue. We take several road trips a year and always take the Outback. This is the second Outback with Eyesight. It works very well. Adaptive Cruise Control is great. All the negative talk about Autopilot on this site has given me pause about our MYLR purchase. I'm going to assume that if it's that bad the cars would be under a mandatory recall.

Our lease is up in October and we decided to move to all electric. We had an Escape Hybrid which we liked but sad to say it was the first year of implementation and it always started as ICE and would only switch to electric after it warmed up. Not much help when you used the car to run to the grocery store for milk and it finally switched to electric as we pulled back into the driveway.

So, if your really interested in an Outback you will be happy with your decision its a very good car.

Reactions: spaghetti
Upvote 0