Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR vs Subaru Outback: Outback better AP and reliability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MYLR on order but am having second thoughts after learning about problems with the Tesla Vision system, phantom braking, poorly functioning TACC/AP, and crappy customer service if it's needed. I have a 100 mile round trip commute, mostly interstate highway, so AP and minimizing driver fatigue are important. I was impressed after test driving an Outback Limited. My observations:

Comfort: Tesla seats definitely more comfortable for me than Subaru.

Driver assistance: Subaru Eyesight actually worked better than AP: no PB, doesn't get confused when a lane merges into my lane, doesn't shut off if I deviate from the center of the lane to miss potholes. Frequent PB is a deal breaker because it increases driver fatigue from paying attention. AP is better on sharp curves.

Reliability: My biggest concern with Tesla. Yes, I won't have oil changes etc with an EV. But if I need service or get into an accident, the Tesla service centers in my area are notable for slow/poor service, long delays to get an appt, slow to get parts, no loaners and insufficient Uber credits for my length commute, I've heard of a Plaid in service for weeks, no loaner, no explanation, can't reach anyone by phone, no one calls back. I live over 45 minutes from a service center, so not sure if a mobile tech would come that far.

No question, the Tesla is a more modern car and more fun to drive than the Outback. But who cares about fun if the hassle factor is high? I work nearly 70 hrs/wk including the commute, so reliability is important.

For those who have driven an Outback and/or a vision only Tesla, what are your thoughts and experiences?

I was referring to subaru suv/cuv in general. If I was not clear on it, my apologies. I didn't mean to criticize your post. I drove 2018 Subaru Forester XT for 6 months. Very small car (narrow), plastic everywhere interior, noisy and rattle, decade plus old outdated infotainment system. very stiff ride. it was more like truck than Camry type ride. Forester has much more stiff ride than Outback and Ascent which has very cushy ride for their purpose.
I said "basic" meaning they just work as basic cruise control with added keeping distance and their "lane centering" feature and when working, would bounce left and right constantly, also crossing intersections, lanes merging, fresh pavement & fresh painted lines, etc would prevent it from working. For example, crossing one lane intersection, it stays engaged. If I cross a 2 lane intersection/railroad tracks, some crosswalks - it beeps and shuts down.
I see. I consider ‘basic cruise’ to be what our 2011 odyssey has. It keeps the speed and nothing else; if you approach another vehicle you have to brake yourself. Our forester has something in between that and what Tesla has. It definitely makes cruising on the highway easier but isn’t as capable.

I find your description and comparison of the forester’s ride interesting. My MY is far stiffer and harsher than our forester, to the point my son prefers driving the forester. My MY is an early model (July 2020) and I’ve seen reports that the suspension has been upgraded. Rattles, etc is about the same between ours. Perhaps simply the age of your car?

Upvote 0
Lol this guy. Suspension is terrible,
Yup. It is. If you don’t believe me look at the dozens of other threads about it.
UI is bad after Christmas update,
Yup. That’s true, too. Plenty of threads in that as well as opinions elsewhere by people who actually specialize in UI design. Fortunately Tesla is slowly fixing the UI issues.
AP is bad vs Subaru.
No, autopilot works quite well with the exception of TACC. TACC isn’t bad vs Subaru, it’s bad vs virtually other adaptive cruise system on the market. (Just look at all the phantom braking threads). I just got back from another trip - 2 events in 22 miles.
What a joke.
Yes, it’s almost humerus how you deny and disagree with every post that is in any way remotely non-positive towards Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
Upvote 0
Subaru uses Intel’s MobileEye I believe but it’s pretty basic. We rented an Outback for a week driving from SF to LA and for the most part the adaptive cruise works fine on straight road. But for me I see there are 3 main issues with Subaru:
1. It has trouble keeping car in the center lane and would ping pong too much left and right. The constant shifting is pretty annoying.
2. It has big problem with even just slight curvy road. Can’t even count how many times it veered off to adjacent lane.
3. As far as I know, there’s no automatic adjustment to speed limit. So if you go from 65 mile zone to 55 mile and have max speed set at 70, it will continue to drive at 70. So if you are driving in parts of road with a lot of speed changes you will need to adjust manually every time.
Overall Subaru works perfectly fine. It’s just driver assist, nothing too fancy. I would recommend Outback if you are looking for a cheap, reliable ICE car with loads of space. Really good as a family car. But for me, that car is just way too underpowered and really slow off the line.
Completely agree, and you’re correct, no speed limit recognition, just a more basic driver assist, as you say. I also find it difficult to go from the smooth power of my MY to the forester.

Upvote 0
Yup. It is. If you don’t believe me look at the dozens of other threads about it.

Yup. That’s true, too. Plenty of threads in that as well as opinions elsewhere by people who actually specialize in UI design. Fortunately Tesla is slowly fixing the UI issues.

No, autopilot works quite well with the exception of TACC. TACC isn’t bad vs Subaru, it’s bad vs virtually other adaptive cruise system on the market. (Just look at all the phantom braking threads). I just got back from another trip - 2 events in 22 miles.

Yes, it’s almost humerus how you deny and disagree with every post that is in any way remotely non-positive towards Tesla.
Yeah, while you at it look up how many people don’t have any problems you will be supersized.

Upvote 0
I’ve seen reports that the suspension has been upgraded. Rattles, etc is about the same between ours. Perhaps simply the age of your car?
I just saw this thread:
It appears Tesla has made several revisions to the suspension since the Y was first introduced. If that’s the case it’s very possible that a new MY would have a better ride than my July 2020 model.

In any case, the OP needs to decide for him/herself whether the suspension is ok for their needs.

Reactions: Jersey_guy_202
Upvote 0