Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR2021/ 27kMiles/ Battery Degrading already?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged my MYLR 2021 100% last night so I could take it from Raleigh to Charlotte NC. A distance of about 180 miles. By the time I got close to Charlotte- about 50 miles short, the battery was at 35%. A whopping 65% eaten in just 135 miles!! Doesn’t digest. Have you guys seen this happen in such a dramatic fashion? Need some clues as to what I should look out for and what action I should take to fix this issue. Until I can figure this out my Charlotte trips will be in my beloved Subaru BRZ.

Any suggestions and advice welcome. Thanks.

Welcome to TMC.

27k miles? Your consumption sounds normal, depending on speed, ambient temp, elevation change, tire pressure, HVAC use.

There are so many variables that impact range. Have you owned the car for 27k miles? How is this power consumption different than your usual?

There are dozens of useful threads re: power consumption. You might benefit from reading some of them.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Upvote 0
Welcome to TMC.

27k miles? Your consumption sounds normal, depending on speed, ambient temp, elevation change, tire pressure, HVAC use.

There are so many variables that impact range. Have you owned the car for 27k miles? How is this power consumption different than your usual?

There are dozens of useful threads re: power consumption. You might benefit from reading some of them.
Haven’t used the MY for long drive after the Florida trip immediately after taking delivery. So can’t comment on whether this is usual for long range drives. But I’m planning to check with Tesla itself to see what they have to say. Will also check the threads you mentioned. Thanks.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Upvote 0
You did not state how fast you were driving. Have you tried using A Better Route Planner. ABRP will help you plan the trip and provide recommended charging stops. You should expect that you will stop to charge at a Supercharger after every 2 hours of driving for ~15 minutes. There is no need to charge to 100% before beginning most trips. 90% would be fine. For quickest charging you need to enter the Supercharger location as the next stop in the Tesla Navigation system. The Tesla Model Y will precondition (warm) the battery for fastest, most efficient Supercharging. Only charge to 70% to 80% when using a Supercharger. Charging beyond 80% takes too long.

Upvote 0
How about posting here with details about your drive? Speed? Ambient temps? Tire PSI? Elevation changes?

Tesla won't help you with this, as your numbers just aren't very far off from reality, unless your entire drive was at 45 mph, zero wind, zero elevation change, 68f, tires at 42psi.

Upvote 0
Charolette to Raleigh is doable, and much more relaxed with a supercharger stop in between. I suggest taking a loot at www.abetterrouteplanner.com.
You used 65% in 135 miles. Doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me.
route.jpg

Upvote 0
Hi All

thanks for your responses.
Driving conditions - average speed 65-70 on the highway
Tire pressure - above 40 on all four tires (front passenger tire was a little lower at 40 while others were 42+)
Supercharger Stop - did not think would need one as the full range (100% battery) indicated 295 odd miles
Destination Charge Stop - took a brief 25 minute stop at a low capacity destination charger - was a big mistake. Never to repeat
On return trip the better route planner kicked in and took me to a supercharger. I charged to about 65% as it indicated I would reach home safely, but by the time I reached, having driven about 70 miles, I was only left with 12 miles on the battery.

Disappointed. Hope I can improve this with some additional tire pressure but otherwise nothing was out of the ordinary and if this is what Tesla will perform at, then yes, DISAPPOINTED. :(

• Funny
Reactions: Dennisis
Upvote 0
It sounds to me like you haven't fully researched what an EV is all about. It isn't a Tesla problem. 130-180 mile drives with a quick SC pause. (For me, never expecting or trying for "295 odd miles,")

I'm surprised that, at 27k miles, you haven't already figured out that "295 odd miles" on the screen isn't even close...it's more like 235-240 miles, especially driving 65-70mph, with the elevation changes you would encounter in rural NC.

Raleigh-Charlotte looks to me like a perfectly beautiful drive in an EV, with a brief Supercharger stop in the middle.

Reactions: Dennisis and 804son
Upvote 0
Rated Range is alot like EPA ratings for ICE vehicles. You would only see those ideal ratings driving at very slow speeds in absolutely ideal conditions. ICE vehicles typically have longer ranges, and there are gas stations on every corner. With a BEV it requires a bit more planning, thankfully Tesla has an excellent built in trip planner. I usally apply plan for about a 15% - 20% buffer at arrival or next supercharger stop. a little extra charge percentage goes a long way to have a more enjoyable trip. Using the heat or a/c as much as desired, extra side trips, etc...

Upvote 0
The range indicator at the top of the screen is completely inaccurate and represents 100% ideal conditions based on the inflated EPA rating, not estimated range based on current or historical driving. Basically it will never hit that number in the real world. You can realistically expect a maximum of 80-85% of that number in real world driving.

Charlotte is higher elevation than Raleigh so there’s some range loss there. Plus weather and headwinds or cross winds, HVAC settings, etc. Based on your numbers, 295 mi indicated range at 100% would realistically be about 237 mi in ideal conditions, then factoring elevation change and other real world factors, an extrapolated range of ~208 isn’t that out of the question.

Long trips should **always** be entered into the navigation even if you know where you’re going. That will give you the most accurate estimate of arrival charge and plan out any necessary charging stops so you won’t get caught out with a dead battery before your destination. Lowering your speed by 5-10 mph will make a big difference too.

Arriving with 12mi is expected because the navigation is programmed to get you to the destination without running out of charge, which it did. Tesla assumes you will be able to charge at your destination. If that is not true then you need to add maybe 10-15% more charge than the screen suggests to give yourself more buffer at your destination.

Last edited:
Reactions: 804son
Upvote 0
OMG! So much education in so little time... appreciate this.

Yes, I did expect EV to perform under the indicated range levels. My post was basically to make sure I wasn't making any foolish mistake/s. Looks like I am getting what I asked for. All good... my Florida trip of 2500 miles was a pleasant one, though more frequent stops for SC that delayed the overall timelines. Perhaps yesterday I was too frustrated to think clearly. Had a Diwali celebration we were hosting and I did not want to be labeled "the late host". But I understand now - don't expect more than the car can/ will produce. :)

Have a great day folks!

Upvote 0
MandarBarve: HAHAHA! AND...your Florida trip was FLAT, the only advantage being driving south (down) you would get better mileage than driving North (up). (I know some people that still think this is true...)

Glad we could edumicate you a bit.

Upvote 0
OMG! So much education in so little time... appreciate this.

Yes, I did expect EV to perform under the indicated range levels. My post was basically to make sure I wasn't making any foolish mistake/s. Looks like I am getting what I asked for. All good... my Florida trip of 2500 miles was a pleasant one, though more frequent stops for SC that delayed the overall timelines. Perhaps yesterday I was too frustrated to think clearly. Had a Diwali celebration we were hosting and I did not want to be labeled "the late host". But I understand now - don't expect more than the car can/ will produce. :)

Have a great day folks!

Your model Y is rolling around on the equivalent of about 3-3.5 gallons of gas worth of energy. This means that things like having a bunch of extra bodies, running the heat, a bunch of luggage, and speed will have a proportionally bigger apparent impact, because the cars are able to go so far on so relatively little amount of energy compared to an ICE vehicle.

If you put 3.5 gallons of gas in your ICE vehicle and drove it with the same expectation, that might help you ground / center what your EV is doing. People dont generally get EPA range on their gas car either but dont care. They then load up their EV with stuff, drive 70+ MPH and expect to get much farther than that will go.

Upvote 0
Yeah - one thing to be said about the speed - I do end up driving north of 70MPH very often. the damn car is so quiet - before I know I am hitting high notes. But yes, the journey was just me in the car, no luggage or extras. I did run the heat as it was rather cold early in the AM. But I guess with all these factored in, an SC stop every 2 hours makes sense. No more destination chargers..

Upvote 0
A reasonable rule of thumb for the Model Y is that you get the rated range at around 50 mph. Every 10 mph above reduces range by 30 miles. (Conversely, every 10 mph below gains you 30 miles, up to a maximum around 30 mph -- you'll be able to hit 400+ miles if you drive a constant 30).

The figures you quoted are reasonable if you drove a good amount at 75 mph.

Upvote 0