Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR5 Winter wheels & tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Ordered a MYLR5 with the 19-inch wheels. I usually change over to winter tires in mid-November and would like to do so for the MYLR as well. While looking at wheel/tire packages (not on the Tesla site), I noticed that there are 18-inch wheels available for the MY. Does anyone have any experience in putting winter tires with 18-inch wheels on the MY? Is the tire circumference the same as the stock 19-inch all-seasons? Are there any downsides to using the 18-inch winter tire/wheel combo?

TIA...

I'm just about to order my MYLR and will need winter tyres (I'm in Canada) - unless delivery gets delayed past March time frame next year.

I've used different sizes on my other vehicles so cant see it being an issue though it may affect the range on screen I suppose.

Be interested to see what the people on here more in the know think too.

Upvote 0
If you are buying from one of the major online tire retailers such as Tire Rack their recommended wheel and tire package should fit with no issue.

The Model Y is a heavy vehicle, tires must meet the minimum load index. For the 19" wheel size Tesla specifies a tire load index of 104 (1984 lbs.). For the 20" wheels Tesla specifies a tire load index of 103 (1929 lbs.)

Understanding Tires Load Index VS Load Range

Upvote 0
255/50R18 tires are the same diameter (28") as the stock 19" tires and 20" tires. There are also other tire sizes that fit that are similar enough to 28" to be used.

This is great resource to understand tire sizes and find alternate size options:

Upvote 0