Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

myMY Fremont Delivery Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After an exhausting wait of 9 days (sarcasm) from order to delivery, I got the email and text to say that the MY we ordered was ready. I selected a factory direct pickup hoping to squeeze a bit more experience from the whole pomp and circumstance of ordering a Tesla. More on this later.

The ordering process was insanely easy. The financing was equally as easy. I went through Tesla and ended up with 2.49% at 72 months with basically the tax+fees as downpayment. I never got an approved email, just happened to check my account a few hours after credit app and there were my terms from US Bank. Painless and seamless - no need to worry about bringing a check or whatever. Insurance through GEICO at $467 ($500k limits, $500 comp/collision)

Like I said in previous posts, I had never been as anxious as I was today. I blame this internet thing for spreading anxiety. I had placed my order for a Pearl White Model Y LR AWD with the base 19s as I had already sourced takeoff 21" Uberturbines from a local here. I figured I could use the Geminis for longer road trips whenever I needed the extra range. Black interior. VIN assigned a few days after order. 15xxx turned out to be 6/20 production. 15 miles on ODO. 57% charge at delivery.

First off, I got lost finding the exact location of vehicle delivery. On my way there, we saw tons of loaded up trailers with cars ready to go. They are cranking them out folks. When I finally got there, it was really nothing more than a parking lot with other cars and a small coned off section for vehicle deliveries. It was touchless so nobody was there.

Before I hit accept, I did a twice over all the body lines. It seemed fine, nothing worth pointing out anyway. Body lines seem fine and although dirty, the paint seemed okay. I finally hit accept and opened the doors from my phone. Everything seemed to work fine. Trunk opens and closes fine, the seats drop fine, didn't notice anything. Which I guess is a good thing for Tesla?

Took the long way home and it was just a blast to drive. I test drove the Performance version a while back so I kind of knew what to expect. I'm a car guy, so the acceleration just made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I pulled the Tesla in the garage and within 5 minutes the neighborhood kids on their bikes started noticing..."is that a Model Y? wow, my dad wants one of those!" These kids couldn't have been more than 10 years old!

Now that I was in the comfort of my garage in the shade, I start going through the Tesla with a somewhat fine tooth comb. Here is what I found on mines:

MAJOR ISSUES
-None

RELATIVELY MINOR BUT ENOUGH TO WARRANT MOBILE VISIT
-Wire harness unhooked and hanging from passenger front wheel well (anyone know what this is?)
-Front pax door difficult to close shut (easy when rear door is open)
-Front trunk misaligned - front body line disappears when looking from front at car level (although hard to tell when standing at normal height)

ANNOYANCES
-Random plastic film still attached
-Grease stains inside of glass roof
-Tape and fingerprints on rear glass
-Paint is ok, except for frunk underside.
-Generally dirty body
-Fingerprints on interior trim
-Hard to find mobile connector. Had to call Tesla rep from store to help me find it. It wasn't in hidden trunk.

It's just so annoying that after dropping $60k on a car, you pickup your car and it has stains and tape and smudge that can so easily be fixed before delivery. I'd even pay an extra $100 "delivery fee" to have my car hand washed and interior cleaned. I mean, imagine I just charged a client a couple grand to draft up some business documents. I hand it over with coffee stains and donut crumbs. smh It's sad that I set my bar low for Tesla. While the fit and finish left more to be desired, the driving experience and tech in this car is amazing. And so far, those two things work just fine.

Lastly just wanted to comment on the Fremont Factory Direct Delivery experience. It was so anticlimactic for us. We get there and it's a small section of Teslas ready for delivery with a smattering of random cars mixed in. It was 95 degrees out. The car was dirty. My app had glitches. I was sweating bullets. I couldn't find the mobile connector. And I was distracted by some blonde pickup up her M3.

I mean, I basically saved Elon $1,200 by not having to truck the car somewhere. At least make the experience more enjoyable you know? Take some of that savings and invest in a proper air conditioned delivery center. Extend the nearby sales floor. Maybe even encourage Fremont pickups by contracting with Enterprise to offer like 50% one-way car rentals for out of towners. And have a dedicated Enterprise car return center there. Then the new owners can make the trek back home in their Tesla.

Oh well. Still happy with the Tesla though. Wish I bought stock last year. Take care folks.

RELATIVELY MINOR BUT ENOUGH TO WARRANT MOBILE VISIT
-Wire harness unhooked and hanging from passenger front wheel well (anyone know what this is?)
I have this too (6/30 delivery; VIN 23xxx); looks like it was originally taped up in there but the tape came loose. I retaped it and added it to my service appointment in a couple of weeks. The connector on the end of the wire bundle is capped off so it’s unclear if it’s supposed to be hooked to anything or not.

Most seem to think that plug is for the low speed pedestrian warning sound. NTSB says that only some 10% or something of production cars get the audio warning thing. I haven't seen a picture of the pedestrian warning device yet.