Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Truthfully I have no real interest in trying to learn to drive the car differently…

If you have a complaint and want things to change, then look first to your own behavior and actions. I'll tell you the same thing I tell my 5 year old son... If a solution exists and you choose to be stubborn, then you have no one to blame but yourself for whatever happens...

This is a very good point. In Europe, they are having a similar issue with plug-in hybrids (and I suspect the same here). The government has found that people aren't really plugging them in, so the claimed fuel and emissions savings aren't happening irl. So, many countries are eliminating any incentives for purchasing plug-in hybrids. Kyle Conner at Out of Spec reviews just did a video specifically on this issue in Germany, where companies can reimburse their executives for gas costs but not charging costs, so the ones that drive hybrids as company cars tend to never plug them in.
When I had my 2016 Chevy Volt, I averaged 7000 miles electric and 5000 miles gas each year. But now I own a Tesla MYLR, and it's all electric. But it is surprising that people wouldn't plug their hybrid cars in!

The OP has clearly stated he does not WANT to adjust his driving style. Combined with the possibility that he just CAN'T make the adjustment, I still think he simply bought the wrong car.
My wife refuses to even try, and that's mostly because she just doesn't want to, or need to, so "why bother?".
There are multiple factors at play.

However one of them, and it’s very important to me, is that the feature existed on my prior Tesla M3 and doesn’t exist on the MY.

I can’t imagine why anyone would make the assumption they would take that setting away?!

…and yes, I do have nerve damage.

There are multiple factors at play.

However one of them, and it’s very important to me, is that the feature existed on my prior Tesla M3 and doesn’t exist on the MY.

I can’t imagine why anyone would make the assumption they would take that setting away?!

…and yes, I do have nerve damage.
Sadly, across ALL manufacturers, it's dangerous to make the assumption that the new car you buy has ALL of the features of the one you test drove. Changes occur all...the...time...

Reactions: sleepydoc
Sadly, across ALL manufacturers, it's dangerous to make the assumption that the new car you buy has ALL of the features of the one you test drove. Changes occur all...the...time...
It’s actually somewhat worse with Tesla - most manufacturers only make changes once a year. Tesla does so almost continuously. That’s good if it’s a feature you want but if it’s removing something you want it’s not so good. It’s also a bit frustrating because the features that are present when you order your car may be quite different from those on the car you receive several months later.

My MYLR from 2020 does have the option to reduce regenerative braking which is interesting because this is strictly a software feature, not a hardware one.

Among other things it’s helpful in slippery winter conditions. I’d be annoyed if I got a new Tesla without it.

It’s actually somewhat worse with Tesla - most manufacturers only make changes once a year. Tesla does so almost continuously. That’s good if it’s a feature you want but if it’s removing something you want it’s not so good. It’s also a bit frustrating because the features that are present when you order your car may be quite different from those on the car you receive several months later.

My MYLR from 2020 does have the option to reduce regenerative braking which is interesting because this is strictly a software feature, not a hardware one.

Among other things it’s helpful in slippery winter conditions. I’d be annoyed if I got a new Tesla without it.
I guess "somewhat worse" is partially true. My experience with VAG is there were continual changes within the same model year, catching buyers and salespeople offguard.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
I wasn't aware that VW did that. Tesla is very stingy with model features and specs on their web site. Compared to most manufacturers that list things like “body colored handles” as a ’feature,’ Tesla’s got next to nothing. I’m sure that’s intentional since it also gives them more flexibility to change features without being obligated to adhere to a list on a web site.

Back to the original topic, I tried turning chill mode on and off while I was driving this evening and it definitely makes it much easier to control the acceleration.

So my original point was that being able to set regenerative braking to a lower threshold along with enabling chill mode allows the model Y to drive like a normal vehicle…

A.k.a.: it doesn’t make your passengers want to throw up or get massive headaches because they’re not enjoying the ride.

The concept that anyone should have to pay attention to the throttle to the point where they have to tiptoe around whether the car is going to regenerative break or not is completely ludicrous. It is poor Customer Service on Tesla‘s part to have turned off the ability to lower the threshold for regenerative braking.

as was pointed out those of us who are older do not wanna have to keep playing with the throttle all the time because eventually it’s very uncomfortable. That might be enjoyable for those of you under 50 but eventually you too will suffer from stiff joints, etc.

I don’t know about anybody else, but I didn’t buy the auto pilot and full self driving so that the car could beat the *sugar* out of the passengers.

It is a completely different experience once you install the S3XY buttons and are able again to set the threshold for regenerative braking.

What I’d resent is that I have to go to an aftermarket solution to be able to take care of a simple control that was present and is suddenly missing. Certainly, as was pointed out, Tesla‘s sales people have no idea what changes from one model to the next and can’t fill you in even if you want them to.

The nature of those kind of vulnerabilities that have already bypassed security is that they can probably be used bypass other aspects of security.

it doesn’t sound serious until it’s used to commit something that is much more serious.

For example, if you have a pin on the glovebox, the buttons by-pass that. It’s likely that if that device can be used to program other functionality, it can be used to by-pass other security enabled functions.
That sounds like a choice to enable a button to open the glove box and opt for convenience over security, not an intrinsic vulnerability in the SEXY buttons.

The nature of those kind of vulnerabilities that have already bypassed security is that they can probably be used bypass other aspects of security.

it doesn’t sound serious until it’s used to commit something that is much more serious.
There are a lot bigger things to worry about than your glove box... I mean a $6 Wonder Bar will get your glove box open, or even a screwdriver and they have to get in your vehicle to begin with.

Reactions: 804son