Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are about to make our summer vacation trip with our son in the backseat of our new MYP, 40 miles out into the trip he started throwing up in the backseat.

I realize that there were a couple of issues at play: my wife was getting a headache from being in the car with its rough deceleration and my son had some sort of virus that led him to have really severe postnasal drip which got complicated by vomiting as he got carsick.

What really confused me was that in the MYP there is no way to turn off regenerative braking.

It literally makes no sense. My M3LR, that I traded in, had the ability to turn regenerative braking to a low setting.

Effectively, if you can’t turn on chill mode, and you can’t turn down regenerative braking, your MYP is kind of useless for passengers As there can continuously be stopped short and then push back into their seat. Certainly it appears to be more of an issue if you can’t turn the harshness of regenerative breaking off…

Anybody else notice as an issue?

and what idiot at Tesla decided this was a good idea?

Like others have said, you will need to practice how to feather the accelerator, I had my 21 M3 SR at max regen and same in my 22 MYP, I haven’t notice an difference and I can still roll to a smooth stop if I time it. Chill mode could help too. But to your point yes I think Tesla should give us the option to turn it off if we want to.

What really confused me was that in the MYP there is no way to turn off regenerative braking.

It literally makes no sense. My M3LR, that I traded in, had the ability to turn regenerative braking to a low setting.
Regen adjustment was removed almost two years ago. There are aftermarket buttons (SEXY) that can be programmed to adjust regen, if you feel you need to do that.

That said: with a bit of practice on the regen pedal, eventually (hopefully) you'll realize that there's no need for a regen setting. I had a near-identical initial experience with my '20 MYLR, when learning how to drive it: lots of rapid/unexpected hard-decelerations and lots of unhappy passenger reactions. A few weeks later, I got the hang of it (and I never used the regen setting). Now driving '22 MYP and '22 M3P, with near-identical deceleration dynamic.

One of my favorite things about the Y is how smooth both the acceleration and deceleration are. As everyone has said, with regen braking, it’s about how quickly / how much you release the pedal. Just release the pedal less / slower. Same with acceleration - you don’t need to use chill mode to avoid hard acceleration. Just don’t smash the accelerator.
Effectively, if you can’t turn on chill mode, and you can’t turn down regenerative braking, your MYP is kind of useless for passengers As there can continuously be stopped short and then push back into their seat.
If your passengers are “continuously stopped short and then push back into their seat” then you really need to adjust how you drive. Correctly using the pedal will full prevent the issue, even without chill mode or low regen. Calling people at Tesla idiots because of your driving style is a bit much. Your kid threw up because you’re driving while he’s sick and not using the pedal correctly.

Drive like you have a FULL GLASS of water in the dash. That was the tip the late great Jackie Stewart gave when a reporter asked him how he was so relaxed after driving with him on the motorway outside London at triple digits speeds. The reporter didn’t realize how fast he was driving as Jackie. blocked the speedo for the ride.

I have always remembered that bit of advice. SMOOTH is FAST.

Reactions: jonzcfo
You need to learn to feather the pedal. Ease off gently; you probably never really got used to one pedal regen with it set to low in your M3.
It was never set to low in my M3 as a matter of routine. It was turned off when I had others in the car…

The issue really is that the amount of drag on the car with region breaking which you can’t adjust is significant. And specifically when you have auto pilot enabled it’s not nice to your passengers.

Truthfully I have no real interest in trying to learn to drive the car differently… There were settings in the model three to deal with this and suddenly they’re nonexistent other cars. Honestly there isn’t seem to be any good reason for them not to exist.

I did pick up the S3XY buttons and install them, MASSIVE difference. You can configure the car just like you could the model three as needed.

Drive like you have a FULL GLASS of water in the dash. That was the tip the late great Jackie Stewart gave when a reporter asked him how he was so relaxed after driving with him on the motorway outside London at triple digits speeds. The reporter didn’t realize how fast he was driving as Jackie. blocked the speedo for the ride.

Just to reiterate: that’s not fun and it’s extremely inconvenient.

If I wanted to deal with that kind of crap I would go out and bought a 500HP muscle car!

Driving a car around like I have a open cup of coffee and I’m trying not to spill is not my idea of fun. Especially given that the ability to use regenerative breaking or set it to low existed in my prior Tesla and it was still there when I traded it in (with up-to-date firmware).

S3XY buttons does resolve that issue. (However they are a serious security vulnerability.)

If you want to coast, you can’t let off the throttle abruptly like you do in a gas car. Until you try to learn it, you and your passengers are going to get knocked around like you’re hitting the brakes every time you let your foot off the accelerator. The “zero” or coasting spot is like a quarter of an inch down, and everything above that is regen.

Just look at the thin little bar above the speedometer to help you calibrate your ankle for how much regen and acceleration you’re applying at any given time. It becomes second nature to EV and Tesla owners very quickly once you allow yourself to admit it’s not the car’s fault.

You don’t have to drive around like an actual cup of coffee is on the dash. You don’t even think about it once you know the pedal, and you can drive in any way you want, and will feel natural after a day.

A Tesla MYP is the wrong car for anyone who gets motion sickness. Between the acceleration, a suspension that makes a go kart look like a Lexus and phantom braking that has passengers swaying like anemones in the surf Dramamine should come with the car.

Have you tried putting it in chill mode? That makes the acceleration easier to manage and makes it easier to feather the accelerator like people have mentioned.

As somebody else said, you can disable regen but it requires a third party tool that sends CAN bus messages (I think) to tweak the regen settings which are not exposed in the Tesla UI.

It was never set to low in my M3 as a matter of routine. It was turned off when I had others in the car…

You cant "turn off" regen breaking in a model 3 either, regardless of the year. In older ones like mine (2018) and presumably your old one, there is a low regen setting, but there is no OFF, so you were not turning it 'OFF".

I will preface that with "no way I have ever seen or read about without third party tools" at least. If there is a way to turn regen OFF, let me know exactly how to do it in a step by step format so I can find it in my 2018 model 3.

Just to reiterate: that’s not fun and it’s extremely inconvenient.

If I wanted to deal with that kind of crap I would go out and bought a 500HP muscle car!

Driving a car around like I have a open cup of coffee and I’m trying not to spill is not my idea of fun. Especially given that the ability to use regenerative breaking or set it to low existed in my prior Tesla and it was still there when I traded it in (with up-to-date firmware).

S3XY buttons does resolve that issue. (However they are a serious security vulnerability.)
You didn’t buy a 500hp muscle car, but you bought a 456hp electric vehicle which are known for one pedal driving…

When I test drove a MYLR, I didn't like the standard (full) regenerative braking and placed regen on Low. After ordering the car, I learned that Tesla did away with the Low setting and was upset. However, after receiving the car and learning how to drive one-pedal, I now understood where Tesla was coming from. Max regen increases efficiency, thus increasing range. It also reduces wear on brake pads and rotors.

That was the mantra for my riding group back in my sport-bike-riding days. Stood us in good stead in the canyons and mountains. Smoothness is the differentiator, whether in the air or on land and on four wheels or two.

Reactions: shoemakj