Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the problem is is that it doesn’t show up as registered per se… part of the whole thing is that the keys that are newly registered don’t show up in the inventory. That may mean that even the newly registered key might not use the pin.

Reactions: miracj
I think the problem is is that it doesn’t show up as registered per se… part of the whole thing is that the keys that are newly registered don’t show up in the inventory. That may mean that even the newly registered key might not use the pin.
Hopefully, that is not the case. But unless it's a hardware-based problem, I suspect software could easily defend this.

Reactions: GBMaryland
Based upon the article dates and the links, this problem seems to be identified in June 2022.

A simple solution is to require a PIN or master password every time a new access device is registered.
He started poking around Tesla's weak BT implementation a few years ago. These are both pointed out and linked in the Ars article.

https://trifinite.org/Downloads/20220518_tempa_presentation_csw22_public.pdf
Slide 28 - "known limitation" of the Phone Key Feature", which is hogwash, it's an implementation decision by Tesla.

TLDR - Tesla are doing nothing to protect or harden this comms channel, something that is easily done by a competent developer(s).

If you have a complaint and want things to change, then look first to your own behavior and actions. I'll tell you the same thing I tell my 5 year old son... If a solution exists and you choose to be stubborn, then you have no one to blame but yourself for whatever happens...
Not everyone is adept at the feathering required to tame the car's vigorous regen. Coming from an older LEAF, I always wished for more regen, but DAMN! It is shockingly strong. I will probably adapt but I don't see the point of castigating people who find the existing setup less than ideal. I don't see a problem with wanting (or implementing) an adjustible regeneration setting. My ideal would be a "trim wheel" as used in aircraft.

Reactions: sleepydoc
There's nothing wrong with wanting adjustable regen settings - in fact, I do want that setting as well and it probably isn't too difficult to implement. I've commented before that they should include more settings or even have a slider bar. I also understand not everyone has the same physical abilities. It isn't about the inability to do something but the willingness to try.
Wanting product improvements and constructive criticism is great and should be encouraged. But there's a right way to do things and a wrong way. OP's stubborn and adamant refusal to even attempt to adapt to the car's driving characteristics and anger that the car didn't fit his specific driving preference is what I found aggravating and entitled.

OP's stubborn and adamant refusal to even attempt to adapt to the car's driving characteristics and anger that the car didn't fit his specific driving preference is what I found aggravating and entitled.

Give me an effing break.

As stated: The OP had a M3LR with the ability to reduce the regen

There is no reasonable person on gods green earth that would expect a regen breaking setting to suddenly disappear.

There is also no reason that anyone should need to adapt to the driving characteristics of regen breaking when it can easily be controlled through a software implementation. This vehicle is not a Camaro or any sort of internal combustion vehicle that has a set driving characteristic that you really can’t change.

The fact that you don’t like the fact that I am annoyed that I would have to concentrate on feathering the gas pedal to achieve functionality that existed on the vehicle previously, but for some reason it was removed from the GUI, makes me want to let my child vomit all over you.

Yeah, I’m angry… Why wouldn’t I be? Tesla just decides one day to remove a setting in a “luxury” vehicle because they feel like it… and in the process screw anyone who is older, has poor circulation, are disabled, has Parkinsons, spouse gets motion headaches, etc…

(Add to that that they seemingly change the GUI in such a manner as to make it difficult to find controls because the labels for the sub menus don’t make sense for the settings that are contained within them…)

Reality check - you might not like it but the fact is that the feature is no longer there so you'll have to either cope with it, move on, or deal with the consequences (child vomit).

Like I said before, I too wish they would bring back the option to adjust regen - I see no good reason why it should have been removed in the first place. But the fact is that it doesn't exist at this moment in time - so what are you gonna do about it? I guess to be fair, posting your grievances on this forum is a start so I'll give you that. But life isn't fair. Refusing to cope with it and refusing to accept the consequences is on you. If you're mad that Tesla is changing software on you, then go sell the car and move on. Buying a car knowing the software will update/change can be a double edged sword. Not everyone is going to be happy with every incremental change. This is the nature of the beast, again, life's not fair. Sorry if my words are harsh.

@GBMaryland have you looked at this? S3XY Buttons

It'a a bit DIY but it'll allow you to change the regen braking behavior
You bet… That was the very first thing I did upon getting back and cleaning the vomit comet.

Unfortunately, for some people, including one of my close friends, who just purchased a model Y that is an Austin unit… S3XY buttons are not currently an option for vehicles coming out of Austin.

FWIW:

I scanned the message above where he mentions incremental changes blah blah blah… it’s one thing to make an incremental change to improve a system, it’s another thing entirely to remove core functionality.

You bet… That was the very first thing I did upon getting back and cleaning the vomit comet.

Unfortunately, for some people, including one of my close friends, who just purchased a model Y that is an Austin unit… S3XY buttons are not currently an option for vehicles coming out of Austin.

FWIW:

I scanned the message above where he mentions incremental changes blah blah blah… it’s one thing to make an incremental change to improve a system, it’s another thing entirely to remove core functionality.
Tesla's software update model can definitely be a double edged sword. It allows them to update and improve cars after they've been sold but there's also no guarantee that the updates will be improvements. I also think that the ability to push out an update/bug fix encourages sloppy programming an quality control because they know they can fix it later.

Reactions: GBMaryland
sleepydoc: "...double-edged sword,,," for sure. Many have complained that a recent software update SOFTENED (reduced) the aggressive nature of the regen, while the OP feels the "one size fits all" is too aggressive.

I agree that Tesla should return the adjustability of the regen to, "...as it was in the beginning..."

if you're about to get slammed by a vehicle that's ricocheted off the divider or off of another car and you need 100% power to get out of that situation
Very few people will have the ability to discern in the moment that more power is needed in an emergency situation. Might as well roll the dice - more power or braking. And the videos you suggest does not suggest that a non chill mode would have resulted in a different outcome. The above comment also suggests that cars with less power are more prone to accidents. The opposite is likely to be true.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc
STS-134 said:
"if you're about to get slammed by a vehicle that's ricocheted off the divider or off of another car and you need 100% power to get out of that situation"

Seriously? I thought that's what good brakes were for? WAY too many videos of drivers attempting to outrun an accident, instead of just...uhh...slowing down/stopping. Going even faster creates your own safety hazard, possibly involving others.

STS-134 said:
"if you're about to get slammed by a vehicle that's ricocheted off the divider or off of another car and you need 100% power to get out of that situation"

Seriously? I thought that's what good brakes were for? WAY too many videos of drivers attempting to outrun an accident, instead of just...uhh...slowing down/stopping. Going even faster creates your own safety hazard, possibly involving others.
Let's say you have the best brakes in the world. You can absolutely SLAM on the brakes and avoid most collisions. Great. You can stop -- only to have the person behind you slam into you.

You're supposed to try to avoid collisions entirely, not just avoid one and get into another.