Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I have managed to accelerate out of a problem..,

When I had a model three, I was driving down the road through an intersection where are the two opposing sides were required to stop because they had stop signs. Someone ran one of the stop signs and was going to T-bone me. The only thing I could do was step on the gas and floor it. amazingly that resulted in the guy missing me by about 6 inches.

So it actually is possible to accelerate yourself out of a problem…. It just depends what the problem is.

You're supposed to try to avoid collisions entirely, not just avoid one and get into another.
And pressing on the accelerator does not?
A bit a naive to think that the default position would be to press on the accelerator

Supposed to avoid collisions?. That's like stating the sun rises in the east. Of course we all should avoid collision, but the theory that it is best done with the accelerator rather than with other means is not one that most reasonable people will support.

Try saying to people on an US interstate multivehicle pileup that they should just accelerate.....

I've actually avoided lots of accidents by braking.

Reactions: Pianewman
I think the point is is that you have to do whatever it takes in a given situation… That might be accelerating, and it might be breaking.

Had I slammed on the brakes. The guy would’ve T-boned me and I probably would’ve been dead.
I agree. This method of accident avoidance should be left to skilled, experienced drivers, though. I can't quote numbers, but I'd offer that the percentage of accidents that can be avoided by accelerating is extremely low...but still significant. The additional speed also needs to be accounted for, or you're just complicating the situation.

If our culture actually taught realistic driver's education, with skills that are common in the ECU (the Netherlands have traditionally required wet pavement skid recovery!) I'd be more supportive of discussing accident avoidance employing acceleration.

I live near a private university, with many students driving high-powered, or top-heavy SUV "Daddy" gifts. It's terrifying anywhere near the campus, for obvious reasons.

GBMaryland: "I still maintain that Tesla removing the option to turn down the area. Aggressiveness of regenerative braking is an F you to the customers."

I agree with you. I'm wondering if maintaining a single regeneration setting is required to qualify for the EPA efficiency rating? Could Tesla have been quietly busted by the EPA for the variable regen? If you modify regen, efficiency suffers ...just a thought...

I disagree, though, with your assertion that it's too aggressive in its current iteration. Various updates have softened it into what I consider to be a manageable, perfect balance. My passengers comment on how smooth the drivetrain is, with no bobble-head action of gear shifting. I'm a total one-pedal driver, virtually zero mechanical brake use in 36k miles. My MYLR doesn't even know what brake dust is!!!

YMMV.

GBMaryland: "I still maintain that Tesla removing the option to turn down the area. Aggressiveness of regenerative braking is an F you to the customers."

I agree with you. I'm wondering if maintaining a single regeneration setting is required to qualify for the EPA efficiency rating? Could Tesla have been quietly busted by the EPA for the variable regen? If you modify regen, efficiency suffers ...just a thought...

I disagree, though, with your assertion that it's too aggressive in its current iteration. Various updates have softened it into what I consider to be a manageable, perfect balance. My passengers comment on how smooth the drivetrain is, with no bobble-head action of gear shifting. I'm a total one-pedal driver, virtually zero mechanical brake use in 36k miles. My MYLR doesn't even know what brake dust is!!!

YMMV.
Regardless of the strength of regeneration one can always feather the accelerator rather than releasing it all at once.

My problem with regen is that it is not abrupt when canceling cruise control or auto pilot. I am used to EV's where if I click off the cruise control at 70 mph and I am in one pedal driving mode I need to put my foot on the accelerator before I click off the cruise unless I want max regen immediately. I wish that Tesla handled regen the same way. The more control over the car I have the happier I am. I like the option to choose my regen level based on the position of my right foot on the accelerator, not have it slowly ramped in when I drop out of AP.

Keith

PS: Several (most?) EV's on the road have user selectable levels of regen, Tesla choosing to not have selectable regen is not a regulatory issue.

Reactions: Pianewman
Ok what happens in the MY when AP is turned off before the driver presses on the accelerator pedal.
From a stopped position? It depends on whether the Pedals and Driving settings are set to Hold, Creep or Roll (Creep and Roll only apply to speeds under ~4 mph.)

Hold - The Tesla Model Y remains stopped until you apply your foot to the accelerator pedal.

Creep - The Tesla Model Y begins to roll forward or roll in reverse as would a conventional ICE vehicle with an automatic transmission.

Roll - The Tesla Model Y will roll freely as would a convention ICE vehicle when in Neutral.

• Informative
Reactions: Quickst
Ok what happens in the MY when AP is turned off before the driver presses on the accelerator pedal.

When driving in a Tesla if you just turn off autopilot it slowly ramps in regen rather than going to full regen. If you are manually driving the car and remove your foot from the accelerator you get 100% of available regen right away with no delay or slow ramp up of the regen strength. In my other EV clicking off the cruise control reacts exactly the same as if when driving manually I lifted my foot completely off of the accelerator, regen is instantly at 100% of available strength. In that car if you don't want to rapidly slow down when you come out of cruise control, you put your foot on the accelerator first and THEN hit the cancel.

Keith

Reactions: Quickst
Ok this may not be representative but twice recently acceleration has help me , once a car nearly sideswiped me as it had turned across on coming traffic and suddenly drove into my lane. The other time was at a turning circle when an idiot suddenly decided to start off before I had cleared the front of his car. As to regenerated braking I would happily have more but it should be adjustable.

I still maintain that Tesla removing the option to turn down the area. Aggressiveness of regenerative braking is an F you to the customers.
I agree that quite a bit of Tesla ownership is being at peace with getting the middle finger from them on a regular basis, and removing this setting is an example of that. IMHO though, its primary use was for a new driver that needs to be able to drive the car immediately without having to worry about not having adjusted to regen yet.

In the case of your OP though, refusal to learn to drive the car the way it was designed to be driven is your choice. You have no cause to be mad at Tesla for your choices, particularly given how little it takes to adapt to this. Any significant change in vehicle requires adapting - switching from a Ford or a Honda to a Mercedes for example. They react very differently. MB's have drastically different accelerator responsiveness feel, it takes a bit to get used to it.

I'm glad you found those aftermarket buttons and they've solved the problem for you. You are losing range when you reduce regen though.

Oh, and by the way... You did buy a 500HP muscle car. Well, 425HP anyway.

Reactions: DanDi58
In the case of your OP though, refusal to learn to drive the car the way it was designed to be driven is your choice. You have no cause to be mad at Tesla for your choices, particularly given how little it takes to adapt to this. Any significant change in vehicle requires adapting - switching from a Ford or a Honda to a Mercedes for example. They react very differently. MB's have drastically different accelerator responsiveness feel, it takes a bit to get used to it.
Well, that’s an incorrect statement.

The cars once had it, and it was taken away.

It’s not a matter of driving a car as it was designed, it‘s a matter of Tesla removing a feature…

…and doing a crap job of notifying the return customer base that they did.