Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP 2021 range: ~190 miles on a 90%-charge. Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging the phone?? How about turning the screen brightness down? Our MYP uses 225 kW/h around town and many of our freeways here on the left side are posted @ 80. More speed means more power. Simple.
I haven’t driven on too many long trips as of yet but I have taken a bunch of 50 mile drives and I’ve been varying my activities to determine what saps the range. AC and those fun hyper space style accelerations are the big drains but charging 2 phones & sentry mode saps it too. I have driven mostly 70-80mph on the highway during these trips and I don’t see that as a huge drain. I have a MYP and when I want to, I can get close to the expected range.

I feel like I understand how to preserve the range if need be and it’s given me that piece of mind as it relates to range.

I haven’t driven on too many long trips as of yet but I have taken a bunch of 50 mile drives and I’ve been varying my activities to determine what saps the range. AC and those fun hyper space style accelerations are the big drains but charging 2 phones & sentry mode saps it too. I have driven mostly 70-80mph on the highway during these trips and I don’t see that as a huge drain. I have a MYP and when I want to, I can get close to the expected range.

I feel like I understand how to preserve the range if need be and it’s given me that piece of mind as it relates to range.

An iPhone's battery capacity is about ten watt-hours. A Tesla Model 3's average efficiency is around 250 watt-hours per mile. Charging an iPhone from empty to full consumes the equivalent energy of driving about 200 feet, or two-thirds of a football field. It's inconsequential.

I’ve been varying my activities to determine what saps the range. AC and those fun hyper space style accelerations are the big drains
They can be ranked pretty easily:
1. Moving the car (speed/wind drag/towing)
2. Heat
3. A/C
The spacing is not equal there. Heat is still very significant and something to be careful of, but noticeably less than speed issues. And then A/C is much farther down--still noticeable, but not too big a deal.
Below that, all of the electronics, wipers, screen, stereo, etc, are all unnoticeable. I mean while driving--that's another thing talking about heavy idle vampire drains like sentry and summon standby modes.

Reactions: TwelveVoltMan