Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP 2021 range: ~190 miles on a 90%-charge. Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find my model y performance eats a lot of miles being idle or off for some reason. Probably loses around 10 to 20 miles daily.
I drove 160 total miles and charged the car twice so far. Supercharged it once from 40 percent to 80 percent, and once again from 45 percent to 75 percent. Is this considered normal? I feel likes I should be getting around 200 miles before I have to charge at least...
If you don’t want that, turn off cabin overheat protection and Sentry Mode. In Glendale you might regret losing the overheat protection, but no AC would help a bit (though it can still burn plenty of miles).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I find my model y performance eats a lot of miles being idle or off for some reason. Probably loses around 10 to 20 miles daily.
I drove 160 total miles and charged the car twice so far. Supercharged it once from 40 percent to 80 percent, and once again from 45 percent to 75 percent. Is this considered normal? I feel likes I should be getting around 200 miles before I have to charge at least...
I have the exact same thing in my new 2021 Model Y Performance. I swear my 42 kWh BMW i3S battery provided longer range ;) LOL Honestly, there is absolutely NO way I can get the Tesla promised range. But, besides from the Taycan I have yet to own an EV that really gets promised range. The Taycan actually gets over. But my two i3 and two I-Pace never got the promised range. I guess still better than going to the gas station!

It's apparent, Deutsch, you have owned quite a few cars. Of those, how many achieved the "posted MPG's" on the sticker of the car?

I'm quite happy, after my 7,500 miles, that I achieve 87% (based on my TeslaFi numbers) of the "stickered" range and I know I can do better if I slowed down. My gas cars were at 60% of the stickered MGP ranges....

I'm coming up on two weeks in my MYP. I'm averaging 286 Wh/Mi overall and am hitting that number pretty much on a daily basis as well. Just eyeballing the battery % and mileage, I seem to be getting something like low 2.xx miles per 1% of battery (theoretically not much over 200 miles for 100% charge).

I drive with the AC on but where I live it hasn't been higher than 75F the last couple of weeks, so I don't think the AC had to work too hard. I have not taken the battery below 42% yet, but I feel like I won't see 200+ miles of range unless I take the battery down to dangerously low levels.

I do wish the actual range is closer to the advertised range, but I knew that wasn't going to be the case, so it doesn't really bother me. Hopefully the winter range degradation won't be too bad for my range needs.

Reactions: DMateo
I'm coming up on two weeks in my MYP. I'm averaging 286 Wh/Mi overall and am hitting that number pretty much on a daily basis as well. Just eyeballing the battery % and mileage, I seem to be getting something like low 2.xx miles per 1% of battery (theoretically not much over 200 miles for 100% charge).

I drive with the AC on but where I live it hasn't been higher than 75F the last couple of weeks, so I don't think the AC had to work too hard. I have not taken the battery below 42% yet, but I feel like I won't see 200+ miles of range unless I take the battery down to dangerously low levels.

I do wish the actual range is closer to the advertised range, but I knew that wasn't going to be the case, so it doesn't really bother me. Hopefully the winter range degradation won't be too bad for my range needs.
Yeah, I live in Florida and for my 31 mile commute to the office, am getting a 13% reduction in charge each time I go in, or about 26% round trip.

Not that impressive.

Reactions: Deutsch100
. I'm averaging 286 Wh/Mi overall and am hitting that number pretty much on a daily basis as well. Just eyeballing the battery % and mileage, I seem to be getting something like low 2.xx miles per 1% of battery (theoretically not much over 200 miles for 100% charge).

At 286Wh/mi indicated, from 100%-0% (I’m assuming your new car has an undegraded battery for this), you’ll get:

80.7kWh*0.99*0.955/286Wh/mi= 267 miles.

For 90% to 10% you’ll get 214 miles.

These numbers will go down by about 10% as capacity loss hits in a year or two.

Reactions: Big Earl and gx9901
I have the exact same thing in my new 2021 Model Y Performance. I swear my 42 kWh BMW i3S battery provided longer range ;) LOL Honestly, there is absolutely NO way I can get the Tesla promised range. But, besides from the Taycan I have yet to own an EV that really gets promised range. The Taycan actually gets over. But my two i3 and two I-Pace never got the promised range. I guess still better than going to the gas station!
I figured it out. I normally drive slow with my previous cars, but I have a heavy foot with my Tesla. So the choice is to drive slow with my car to get the range that I want or drive theway I want and get less range.

Minnesota winter is not going to be kind to your range, especially if you make multiple short trips over the course of the day, like running weekend errands or doing holiday shopping. Plan accordingly and you’ll be fine; it’s only a problem when it catches you by surprise.

Another quick sanity check is to verify your brake rotors are cold, then go on a 10 minute drive and avoid using the friction brakes. Then stop and check the rotor temperatures on all four wheels. If the rotor on one wheel is warmer than the others, there may be poorly adjusted calipers causing poor range. Range will improve after adjusting the brakes.

It's apparent, Deutsch, you have owned quite a few cars. Of those, how many achieved the "posted MPG's" on the sticker of the car?

I'm quite happy, after my 7,500 miles, that I achieve 87% (based on my TeslaFi numbers) of the "stickered" range and I know I can do better if I slowed down. My gas cars were at 60% of the stickered MGP ranges....
This is true! Besides from my many MBZ and BMW diesels that got over the top amazing mpg (higher than advertised), most, if not all of my gassers got below the advertised mpg!

I don't have a very long commute (20ish minutes across town), but I see a pretty dramatic difference in my Wh/mi depending on whether I turn on climate to cool the interior ahead of time while I'm still plugged in or not. Whether the accelerator pedal hits the floor also seems to have a pretty strong impact.

Minnesota winter is not going to be kind to your range, especially if you make multiple short trips over the course of the day, like running weekend errands or doing holiday shopping. Plan accordingly and you’ll be fine; it’s only a problem when it catches you by surprise.
Yeah, I'm bracing for that. A friend who have driven a Model X for a few years told me the range decreases by 30% or so in the winter, but maybe it's a little better for the Y since it has a heat pump. I guess we'll see. I don't foresee any real issues unless the range is decreased by like 50% (in which case I should probably visit the Tesla SC) given my typical daily usage.

I will be switching out to a set of 19" winter wheels that should be much lighter than the Uberturbines, so maybe that will help offset a little bit of the lost battery capacity during the winter.

Yeah, I'm bracing for that. A friend who have driven a Model X for a few years told me the range decreases by 30% or so in the winter, but maybe it's a little better for the Y since it has a heat pump. I guess we'll see. I don't foresee any real issues unless the range is decreased by like 50% (in which case I should probably visit the Tesla SC) given my typical daily usage.

I will be switching out to a set of 19" winter wheels that should be much lighter than the Uberturbines, so maybe that will help offset a little bit of the lost battery capacity during the winter.

If you get a polar vortex and temps drop well below zero, 50% range loss wouldn't be unexpected, even with the heat pump.

Reactions: gx9901
Oh, I didn't realize they promised range. The range they offer is under certain narrow circumstances, and city driving is not one of those.

IMHO, I think running the AC lowers the range the most, well besides having a heavy lead foot. Crazy thing is that in my previous cars, I would always drive with the windows open, but with my MYP, I mostly drive with the AC to enjoy the serene/calmness of the interior. My previous cars were all performance cars so I liked the exhaust note so the windows were open, but not with the Tesla. I wonder what my range would be if I drove with the windows open vs. running the AC. Would it negate each other as the windows open would have more drag? Thoughts?

IMHO, I think running the AC lowers the range the most, well besides having a heavy lead foot. Crazy thing is that in my previous cars, I would always drive with the windows open, but with my MYP, I mostly drive with the AC to enjoy the serene/calmness of the interior. My previous cars were all performance cars so I liked the exhaust note so the windows were open, but not with the Tesla. I wonder what my range would be if I drove with the windows open vs. running the AC. Would it negate each other as the windows open would have more drag? Thoughts?

It would depending heavily on the actual weather conditions since the AC power varies based on temperature and humidity.

For best efficiency in nice weather, I'll open two windows about an inch on the highway. That provides adequate airflow without the drag of the windows being fully open.

I've been driving with no AC today (weather in low to mid-70s) to see how much difference it makes. After about 50 miles so far, I'm getting almost 3 miles for every 1% of charge (~255 Wh/Mi). Normally I seem to get around low 2 miles per 1% of charge with AC on (286 Wh/Mi), so it does seem like a significant difference.