Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP 2021 range: ~190 miles on a 90%-charge. Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning on my way to work and home, it was MUCH cooler than it has been for months and months. Normally my 36 mile round trip (30% city streets, 70% freeway) takes usually 12-14% battery. Today using A/C, but being so much cooler.... not as much as normal; the round trip used 10% battery!

I've been driving with no AC today (weather in low to mid-70s) to see how much difference it makes. After about 50 miles so far, I'm getting almost 3 miles for every 1% of charge (~255 Wh/Mi). Normally I seem to get around low 2 miles per 1% of charge with AC on (286 Wh/Mi), so it does seem like a significant difference.
Good to hear! did you keep the windows closed?

I don’t think it ever wears off😀
The acceleration on the MYP is like a box of cookies. At first, it tastes awesome when you put it in your mouth (TWSS), but you feel immediately guilty after eating 1, then eating the whole box. Then going back to the store and buying the whole rack. Then eating the whole rack of cookies...and not sharing with your kids while your wife gets mad at you. mmmmm cookies....

I don’t think it ever wears off😀

The acceleration on the MYP is like a box of cookies. At first, it tastes awesome when you put it in your mouth (TWSS), but you feel immediately guilty after eating 1, then eating the whole box. Then going back to the store and buying the whole rack. Then eating the whole rack of cookies...and not sharing with your kids while your wife gets mad at you. mmmmm cookies....
I actually haven't floored my MYP that many times since taking delivery two weeks ago, but I just love knowing that most of the time I'm in the fastest car in my general vicinity. It helps that in MN there generally aren't that many high performance cars driving around on the streets. 😄

I actually haven't floored my MYP that many times since taking delivery two weeks ago, but I just love knowing that most of the time I'm in the fastest car in my general vicinity. It helps that in MN there generally aren't that many high performance cars driving around on the streets. 😄
You need to do it more. I had a performance car that was actually probably faster, but so loud and ostentatious that I couldn't really utilize the power unless on the track. Once I was on the track, then I would fear of blowing my engine at that point.

You need to floor your MY more. That instant torque is nice, BUT the kicker is like a second or two into it where your tummy feels like you are on a rollercoaster. Thats what gets me. I giggle like a school girl. teehee

200.gif

You need to do it more. I had a performance car that was actually probably faster, but so loud and ostentatious that I couldn't really utilize the power unless on the track. Once I was on the track, then I would fear of blowing my engine at that point.

You need to floor your MY more. That instant torque is nice, BUT the kicker is like a second or two into it where your tummy feels like you are on a rollercoaster. Thats what gets me. I giggle like a school girl. teehee

200.gif
Funny...I caught myself yesterday driving more gently because I wanted to improve my efficiency (currently sitting at 343wh). Then I remembered that it only costs me .09 cents per kw to charge compared to paying $4.89/gal of gas and resumed having fun.

I know I'll need new tires much sooner than if it took it easy, but I planned on switching to all-season rubber before snowboard season anyway.

200.gif
Yeah, I definitely need to drive it more like a maniac, LOL! I find myself instinctively trying to maximize efficiency, even though there’s really no need to do so for me in daily drives. In time I’ll train myself to floor the MYP more often….;)

It all comes down to accessory use.. In NYC without AC or Heat, you should get rated range. Heat or AC will kill your range in city traffic..
I average close to rated range with my MYLR while people in my area get 74% efficiency. I don't drive slower but despite being in Florida, I rarely use the AC.
This confirms that I drive the same speed as others and have a 24% higher consumption.. So, AC use, will take about 24+% off your range if about half of your driving is in the city. I have a very high tolerance for heat.. Doesn't bother me.. 24 years in Florida..
View attachment 707082
What app is this?

Wanted to share a recent road trip with the group as it relates to MYP range.

My MYP is about 2 months old with roughly 3,000mi on the clock. Tires were changed from the stock P-Zeros to Michelin Pilot All Seasons.

This was a round trip on a single charge from the Bay Area, up to Rocklin, CA, and back. Total round trip distance was 235mi and I pulled into the garage with 9% battery remaining.

I’d guess 210 miles were on the interstate, with an average cruise speed set to 68-7mph.

4 passengers (2 adults and 2 kids) were in the car and we had the AC set to 70* the whole trip. Outside temps ranged from 70* in the morning up to about 90* during the return trip in the afternoon.

Overall, I was very impressed with the range. I figure had I run it down to 0mi remaining, I should have seen close to 260mi from a single charge.

FWIW - I was trying to make this round trip on a single charge and was intentional when it came to keeping acceleration in check. Other than that, nothing else was done to help the range (e.g. draft a semi).

Hope this helps!

B592817F-4DC9-4E84-9969-0BBA3453414A.jpeg

Just finished a 1553 mile trip from central Washington to the Salt Lake City area with a 2020 MYP Stealth (non PUP). The car averaged 320 Wh/mi with most speeds 65 to 80 and hitting the Superchargers 16 times in 4 states . Left the house with 100% and did a 208 mile leg arriving at the first Supercharger with 17%. Total cost of Supercharging was $193.95, which surprised me. That computed to a EPAge 31.22 MPG using an average gas price of $3.90 / Gal. Taking the numbers a bit further, using the cars trip power usage of 497 kWh, the cost at the Superchargers averaged to $0.39 / kWh. Cost on the wall at home is $0.03 kWh. So, on a trip using Superchargers, I've got a screaming machine that gets 31 MPG and has a range of less than 200 miles at freeway speeds. Did the same trip with a M3/SR 2 years ago, in the cold, and I had a nail biter leg of 130 miles. Gotta love them for their power and the cheap costs of running them around town using home charging.

Just finished a 1553 mile trip from central Washington to the Salt Lake City area with a 2020 MYP Stealth (non PUP). The car averaged 320 Wh/mi with most speeds 65 to 80 and hitting the Superchargers 16 times in 4 states . Left the house with 100% and did a 208 mile leg arriving at the first Supercharger with 17%. Total cost of Supercharging was $193.95, which surprised me. That computed to a EPAge 31.22 MPG using an average gas price of $3.90 / Gal. Taking the numbers a bit further, using the cars trip power usage of 497 kWh, the cost at the Superchargers averaged to $0.39 / kWh. Cost on the wall at home is $0.03 kWh. So, on a trip using Superchargers, I've got a screaming machine that gets 31 MPG and has a range of less than 200 miles at freeway speeds. Did the same trip with a M3/SR 2 years ago, in the cold, and I had a nail biter leg of 130 miles. Gotta love them for their power and the cheap costs of running them around town using home charging.
I started reading this thread last week and started to take note of the energy screen and my driving habits. A couple of things became very clear, if you drive reasonably with little AC and phone charging you will get close the range expected.

If not, you won’t. Simple stuff.