Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP 2023 - oem rims/bigger tires or custom wheels/oem size tires. Getting rid of the rims sticking out of the tire..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I’m trying to get rid of the 21” Uberturbine because of the rims that sticks out of the tyres.
1. I have the option to take the 275/35/R21 from the rears and put them in the front and buy 295/35/R21 for the rears. This is the 1st scenario.
2. The 2nd scenario: buy new rims 9.5J and 10.5J and keep the original 255/35/R21 and 275/35/R21. I don’t know if i buy the same 9.5 and 10.5 rims just like the original Uberturbines, it will not be the same thing and the new rims will stick out of the tyres?
Do you have any other scenario?
Thank you!

Good point, but with a bigger tire we have the aquaplanning problem and also the warranty problem if something goes wrong and also the insurance problem in case of an accident. That’s why i’m asking, maybe you know or you’ve heard something!
I honestly dont think going one size bigger is going to suddenly cause any hydroplaning issues. Almost ALL single-car accidents in the rain or adverse weather are related to drivers going way too fast and/or bald tires.. basically the driver/owner's fault and nothing else. And I say this as a person who daily drove a C6 Corvette all year round.. for 7 years. That's an extremely lightweight 3,000lb RWD sports car with extremely wide factory tires.. with much less sophisticated traction control versus any Tesla.

Good chance I'm going up a size on my Model Y when it's time to replace my factory Goodyears F1's that already have 30K miles on them. If anything I expect the Michelin Pilot AS4 or Continental DWS06+ to have much better wet/cold weather performance than the factory Goodyears ever did. I also expect to lose a few percent ranges.. as these tires are wider and stickier.

Drive smart. Drive safe. You'll be fine.

Last edited:
Search Raueal posting i changed completely to
AS Michelin 265/40/21 front andb295/40/21 rear

No rubbing I am glad as Chicago gets cold and snow

I am glad it came across that thread very detailed thread and review you will not regret it

Also Tires protect the rim looks amazing

Attachments

• 2DEE7FC5-ED82-4460-8CD3-375DB95C13BD.jpeg
    2DEE7FC5-ED82-4460-8CD3-375DB95C13BD.jpeg
    682.9 KB · Views: 335
  • DBC72DFB-D715-4CB3-AE74-929B858E5D04.jpeg
    DBC72DFB-D715-4CB3-AE74-929B858E5D04.jpeg
    585.9 KB · Views: 215
Perfect ride quality let just say it improves 50% ride quality going over them Chicago bumpy roads

Noise quite I think it better than OEM
My opinion but I have zero regrets best tires I have used in 25! year's
I was considering dropping down from my 21 uberturbines to some 19s but this might be cheerier to do if it’s giving you better ride quality. That’s my goal

I was considering dropping down from my 21 uberturbines to some 19s but this might be cheerier to do if it’s giving you better ride quality. That’s my goal
From stock perrilli Tires it's a huge improvement

People saying 19 inch Will be More comfortable than bigger tires but i wanted the 21 inch turbine look and improve my ride at the same time

If you not interested in looks only interested in ride then 19 inch 265/50/19 is max but do some more research

I can't say 265/50/19 will have any rubbing

I would stick with Michelin tires

From stock perrilli Tires it's a huge improvement

People saying 19 inch Will be More comfortable than bigger tires but i wanted the 21 inch turbine look and improve my ride at the same time

If you not interested in looks only interested in ride then 19 inch 265/50/19 is max but do some more research

I can't say 265/50/19 will have any rubbing

I would stick with Michelin tires
You had the p zero tires?

Search Raueal posting i changed completely to
AS Michelin 265/40/21 front andb295/40/21 rear

No rubbing I am glad as Chicago gets cold and snow

I am glad it came across that thread very detailed thread and review you will not regret it

Also Tires protect the rim looks amazing
I saw and i read that topic it's a great source of informations, thanks.
The difference is that in US you don't have the RIMS & TIRES problem. Here in Europe the law doesn't let you have different rims and tires that the ones specified in the car's registration documents. If we do put them, we can have a lot of future problems.
So, now that i realise that, my real question is Scenario 2: buy new rims 9.5J and 10.5J and keep the original 255/35/R21 and 275/35/R21. I don’t know if i buy the same 9.5 and 10.5 rims just like the original Uberturbines, it will not be the same thing and the new rims will stick out of the tires?
How can i figure this out?
It's the 21" uberturbines with a problem? Should i buy 9J for the fronts with OEM 255/35/R21 tires and 10J for the rears with OEM 275/35/R21?. And if i do this, should the ET be the same?

I respect that, but there will always be a better end-result from actually replacing the suspension components, than going from a 275 to a 295 tire in the exact same fitment. I doubt it's truly as drastic of an improvement as people say, and "50%" better is really shooting for the moon...
You’re right things are subjective. But the same could be said about the “new” suspension.

Reactions: saj070
Very expensive way to get a very minimal increase in ride quality.

Wait until more concrete info on the newer, more comfortable suspension components come out. It'll probably cost less to get those and *actually* improve the ride, than swapping incorrect sizes around the car.
Agree disagree . I needed new tires and Summer p zero are no good

So the questions came up are you looking for new tires and improved Ride or just suspension ride?

My answer was I tried to get the max with New AS Michelin tires going big for AS tires for cold weather and get a benefit from smoother ride

If you really want ride then need to spend$5k on MPP coil spring suspension that will be significant improvement

Will it be 100% again subjective right?

Bigger tires made a huge improvement in ride quality and safety and cold weather

Again we started with rims sticking out initial post and these tires has protection

Question ask about ride comfort and for me personally huge improvement 50% did it make air ride suspension ride then no.

Very expensive way to get a very minimal increase in ride quality.

Wait until more concrete info on the newer, more comfortable suspension components come out. It'll probably cost less to get those and *actually* improve the ride, than swapping incorrect sizes around the car.
Your tires are the only thing on your vehicle actually touching the ground. Not only will the car ride noticeably better with the bigger tires, but you also get more wheel protection when parking near curbs. I'd imagine many Model Y owners are interested in a smoother ride + less wheel scratches.

Also, these sizes are not incorrect. The width of the wheels is what determines tire sizes. And 275 & 295 are well within recommended tire sizes. Tesla uses stretched (undersized) tires because they are lighter and more aero efficient.. which increases overall EPA range and allows them to advertise the car "with over 300 miles of range". This of course means you will lose a small percentage of the EPA range going with the bigger tire setup but it will be well worth the gains in the comfort, looks & wheel protection. My quick guess is going with 275/295 setup.. EPA range will drop about 3-5%.. so more like 290 miles of EPA range with the bigger tire setup.

Last edited: