Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP 21' Michelin Pilot AS4 Sizing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Performance summer tires wear out quickly. Why not consider a grand touring all-season tire such as the Vredestein Quatrac Pro (available in 19" and 20" to fit the Tesla Model Y Gemini and Induction wheels.)
I mainly just wanted improved ride comfort / suspension. Do you think there is a noticeable difference in ride quality over bumps if I were to switch out my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 to another tire?

I mainly just wanted improved ride comfort / suspension. Do you think there is a noticeable difference in ride quality over bumps if I were to switch out my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 to another tire?
Perhaps. Have you tried experimenting with different tire pressure settings? Start with the recommended 42 PSI and then add or subtract 1 to 4 PSI until you find the setting that works best. I started with 40 PSI and ended up with 44 PSI being the air pressure setting I prefer with the 19" Gemini wheels and the OE Continental Procontact RX tires.

Perhaps. Have you tried experimenting with different tire pressure settings? Start with the recommended 42 PSI and then add or subtract 1 to 4 PSI until you find the setting that works best. I started with 40 PSI and ended up with 44 PSI being the air pressure setting I prefer with the 19" Gemini wheels and the OE Continental Procontact RX tires.
I think mine are at 42. I know some people said to try dropping to 38 psi but I also heard that might make the tires wear faster? I was also looking into coilovers but trying to go down the path of least resistance

what’s the best way of deflating the tires?
Start by having a good quality tire pressure gauge (will be accurate +/- 1 PSI). A quality tire pressure gauge can be analog or digital. (See TireRack.com or Amazon for a selection of tire pressure gauges. The gauge should read up to 60 PSI.) Also purchase an inexpensive tire tread gauge that reads tread depth in 32nds of an inch. The tire tread depth gauge will help determine if you tires are wearing evenly and can even inform you of uneven tire wear (inner and outer edge) that usually indicates that the vehicle's wheels need to be aligned.

It is quicker to release pressure from the tire than to add air to the tire. Every basic tire pressure gauge (the long pencil looking ones) has a nub on the back side of the part of the gauge that you press to the valve stem for releasing air from the tire. You can also use the clip part of a pen cap or any small clean piece of metal or plastic. Remove the valve stem cap (it unscrews, don't lose it) and depress the tip of the valve core that is inside the valve stem. You will hear air as it escapes from the tire. 4 short bursts should approximately equal 1 PSI (use the gauge to be sure.) Try and make all 4 tires the same (unless you are specifically setting the rear tires to a different pressure from the front tires.) It will be easier to add air to all 4 tires, i.e. start at 44 PSI and remove air 1 PSI each time, then drive the same route you normally drive for a day or so. Then remove an additional 1 PSI from each tire. Keep note of whether the ride changed over your normal route. If you like the way the vehicle rides, handles then you can stop adjusting the pressure and then stay with it for a while. (As the weather turns cooler the tires will generally lose 1 PSI for every 18F degree drop in outside air temperature. I always add a little extra air to the tires in the fall so I don't have to normally adjust the tire pressure again until spring.)

I would suggest that you do not go below 38 PSI as this is ~10% below the recommended 42 PSI tire pressure. (Under inflated tires wear more quickly on the outer edges of the tire. Underinflation can affect proper vehicle handling in emergency situations (the vehicle can become unstable and flip over - see Ford Explorer roll-over crashes). Under inflated tires heat up more and this can lead to tire failure (this is why the DOT mandated tire pressure monitoring systems in all vehicles.) Also, Extra Load (XL) rated tires (the tires used on the Tesla Model Y carry an XL rating) must be inflated to at least 41PSI to meet their XL rating.

To add air to the tire use a 12V tire inflator or drive to a close by service station with a self-service air station (preferably within 1 mile of where you park.) If you have to drive further than 1 mile then add an extra 2 pounds of pressure to the tires (you will bleed this extra air from the tires later.) Check the tire pressure when the vehicle has been stationary (not parked in the sun) for at least 3 hours. Early morning is a good time to check the tire pressure.

Last edited: