Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP 21" Ride Comfort vs Subaru WRX (and swapping 21" fronts for 21" rears for square set)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove only the M3LR and MYLR. Can't find a performance to test. I'm sure the performance will feel better than the LR. I am very curious to feel how it pulls at speed. My test drive vehicles were speed limited to 85mph. I am very curious to feel the performance 60 - 100.
Very little difference at highway speeds between M3LR and M3P. I did those test drives a few days apart and couldn't really tell the difference at all on the highway. Either felt comparable to my P85, which is good enough for me, but if you're after big highway pull look at the new yoke Model S. Even the MSLR will easily outpull M3P on the highway from what I've read. (I haven't driven a yoke car yet.)

MS is a very different kind of car of course. Great cruiser, but too big to really feel at home in the twisties IMO, even if it actually turns pretty well for what it is. And dat yoke...a yoke *could* be sporty, but the more I've read about how Tesla implemented it, the more it sounds like a cruiser bruiser. The steering ratio isn't fast like 3/Y, and the yoke itself is actually huge, not small & sporty. Again great for cruising, not great for twisty back roads. Or city maneuvering. (Disclaimer: Talking out of my butt here, haven't driven a yoke MS yet as mentioned. But I'm fairly confident these impressions will hold up once I do.)

Btw at low speeds the M3P vs M3LR difference was very apparent even several days apart, e.g. punching it after turning onto a straight onramp. I assume the same is true of MYP vs MYLR.

Very little difference at highway speeds between M3LR and M3P. I did those test drives a few days apart and couldn't really tell the difference at all on the highway. Either felt comparable to my P85, which is good enough for me, but if you're after big highway pull look at the new yoke Model S. Even the MSLR will easily outpull M3P on the highway from what I've read. (I haven't driven a yoke car yet.)

MS is a very different kind of car of course. Great cruiser, but too big to really feel at home in the twisties IMO, even if it actually turns pretty well for what it is. And dat yoke...a yoke *could* be sporty, but the more I've read about how Tesla implemented it, the more it sounds like a cruiser bruiser. The steering ratio isn't fast like 3/Y, and the yoke itself is actually huge, not small & sporty. Again great for cruising, not great for twisty back roads. Or city maneuvering. (Disclaimer: Talking out of my butt here, haven't driven a yoke MS yet as mentioned. But I'm fairly confident these impressions will hold up once I do.)

Btw at low speeds the M3P vs M3LR difference was very apparent even several days apart, e.g. punching it after turning onto a straight onramp. I assume the same is true of MYP vs MYLR.
Yea,.I've got two kids and likely to have anothet one to two on the way. The MYP was just the more practical car. Don't get me wrong, under the right circumstances, I'd be driving the plaid plus. As it is now, I'm 0-60 in 5.1 seconds with perfect shifting, and that's not a consistent thing for me. Going to 3.5 seconds every time in the MYP is gonna be fantastic. So many people have these nice cars, and so very few drive them the way they are capable of being driven.

Reactions: tm1v2
Yea,.I've got two kids and likely to have anothet one to two on the way. The MYP was just the more practical car. Don't get me wrong, under the right circumstances, I'd be driving the plaid plus. As it is now, I'm 0-60 in 5.1 seconds with perfect shifting, and that's not a consistent thing for me. Going to 3.5 seconds every time in the MYP is gonna be fantastic. So many people have these nice cars, and so very few drive them the way they are capable of being driven.
I dunno I suppose that's not how I see it. The Performance models are stupid fast and to be frank really unsafe in the hands of novices. Thank goodness for all of Tesla's safety nannies because w/o them there would be a lot more ppl wrapping themselves around poles. That said, after a while you get used to it and really there is no need to stomp on it all the time, there's nothing to prove. You're only wearing your expensive tires out faster.

Last edited:
thats funny i kind of think of it different... so many people drive these cars fast just cause they'll smoke any ICE on the street.. but the real race for me is driving for range / effiency.. any joe can stomp on the constant torque accelerator and smoke the BMW's of the world ... it doesnt take skill to drive these cars fast but it does to drive it efficient

I dunno I suppose that's not how I see it. The Performance models are stupid fast and to be frank really unsafe in the hands of novices. Thank goodness for all of Tesla's safety nannies because w/o them there would be a lot more ppl wrapping themselves around poles. That said, after a while you get used to it and really there is no need to stomp on it all the time, there's nothing to prove. You're only wearing your expensive tires out faster.
thats funny i kind of think of it different... so many people drive these cars fast just cause they'll smoke any ICE on the street.. but the real race for me is driving for range / effiency.. any joe can stomp on the constant torque accelerator and smoke the BMW's of the world ... it doesnt take skill to drive these cars fast but it does to drive it efficient
See, I'm not as mature as you guys. I love feeling acceleration and feeling my car stuck to the road. I'm always trying to beat my personal times to and from my As and Bs. Never chased milage, just the time it takes to complete a trip.

I'm 35, I'll grow up in my 40s. A little bit. Maybe.

See, I'm not as mature as you guys. I love feeling acceleration and feeling my car stuck to the road. I'm always trying to beat my personal times to and from my As and Bs. Never chased milage, just the time it takes to complete a trip.

I'm 35, I'll grow up in my 40s. A little bit. Maybe.
You’re still trying to beat your best.. except it’s not time it’s wh/mi

I'm not sold on FSD. Seems more gimmicky right now. Maybe when it can actually drive on city streets.
I think you have that right. I didn't buy FSD. Even with the new "beta" slowly rolling out, it looks very very far from anything I would find truly useful. I'd pay a few bucks for it as a novelty, but that's all.

Not sure I'll have any use for chill mode. The pecan seems responsive enough to moderate acceleration.
I've read that chill mode is really helpful in the snow, where full power is useless anyways. Haven't driven M3P in the snow yet, and probably won't till at least another year, but it is something I'm looking forward to with my first AWD car since my Subarus.

I think you have that right. I didn't buy FSD. Even with the new "beta" slowly rolling out, it looks very very far from anything I would find truly useful. I'd pay a few bucks for it as a novelty, but that's all.

I've read that chill mode is really helpful in the snow, where full power is useless anyways. Haven't driven M3P in the snow yet, and probably won't till at least another year, but it is something I'm looking forward to with my first AWD car since my Subarus.
The regenerative braking seems like it could be a little dangerous in the snow. I've read some people talking about how they've had to accelerate to regain control when the regenerative braking put them a little sideways. Should be able to disable regenerative braking in the settings as part of a much needed snow mode.

The regenerative braking seems like it could be a little dangerous in the snow. I've read some people talking about how they've had to accelerate to regain control when the regenerative braking put them a little sideways. Should be able to disable regenerative braking in the settings as part of a much needed snow mode.
You can turn it down or off in settings no? Or at least you can in my S. Haven't checked for that in my 3 yet. I've never once wanted to turn it down though...in fact I wish it was even more firm and responsive to lift-off regen. Some of the new non-Tesla EVs do it even better IMO.

I think once you're used to one-pedal driving, you'll naturally just not lift all the way when you don't want the regen braking. But I've only done minimal snow driving in my RWD S.

You can turn it down or off in settings no? Or at least you can in my S. Haven't checked for that in my 3 yet. I've never once wanted to turn it down though...in fact I wish it was even more firm and responsive to lift-off regen. Some of the new non-Tesla EVs do it even better IMO.

I think once you're used to one-pedal driving, you'll naturally just not lift all the way when you don't want the regen braking. But I've only done minimal snow driving in my RWD S.
ive done quite a bit of snow driving in my RWD S... i usually put regen on low but sometimes i just throttle that accelerator pedal to not let it regen.. i had summer tires during one early year snowfall and had regen on full and about lost the backend on a hard regen... with winter tires on ive never had the regen be a problem even on hard regens in the snow

Do a test drive! Plan out your route in advance to include all the bumpy, uneven, and twisty roads you want.

Years ago I had a 2010 STI Special Edition with mild suspension mods - aftermarket sway bars and lots of Group-N mounts & bushings. In the summer I ran the stock 245/40R18 tire size on the stock 18x8.5 wheels. Sold that car many years ago, haven't had anything like it since, but it'll always be firmly in my mind.

You will certainly feel any bumps in an MYP. The MYLR I test drove recently (I forget which wheels) felt way overly busy. To me it was unnecessary and out of character in a crossover to feel every bit of road texture and jostle around for much of it. Between that and the highway wind noise, I actually rejected the Model Y outright from my car purchase decision.

Now, I've definitely gotten older and softer and fatter since owning that STI. I'm probably more sensitive to ride quality than I used to be, and I'm not saying the MYLR was *worse* riding than my STI - it's been too many years to give a direct comparison. But the MYLR ride quality (I didn't test a MYP) was easily the worst of every vehicle I tested in this recent car search. I didn't push the MYLR as hard as I did some cars I tested - the MYLR just didn't call to me that way, and also traffic was picking up (poor test drive timing) - but I don't think it has the handling payoff for its ride quality that my STI had.

TL;DR though is test drive! Only you can tell if you'll like it or not. I will say the Model Y seating is very roomy and comfortable front & back, and visibility is straight up excellent, it was best of everything we tested in both regards. I really liked the Y just sitting in it, but was disappointed in the refinement as soon as I got underway.
I have both MYLR and MYP and love both. But in terms of jostling road feedback the MYP has stiffer and lower suspension and is a performance minded vehicle. If you put 19s you’ll soften the ride. The 21s will rattle on busy streets but look great. The 19s IMO won’t look as good. You truly can’t have it all. Uberturbine look best IMO. But I put 19s on my P and ran 3.25 0-60 runs. The 21s are 3.6-3.8.

The LR with accelerated boost option is probably fast enough and at some point I’d likely sell P over LR but the cars are both amazing. You can also pull M3P Uberturbine and put 245/45/20 on the Y to meet load or 255/40/20. I tested Tsportlines and don’t like the mod look. But if you’re asking about stiffnesss you’ll probably be best sell MYP and order LR. Fortunately these cars appreciate so you can put 5-7k miles on it and sell close or at retail. I bought MYP for 67.5k and at 6,000 miles sold for 67k. I bought LR for 58.5k and at 6,000 miles sold 60k. These P and LR are my 4th and 5th tesla. Nothing compares. Just know to soften the ride and keep performance you’ll have to reduce wheel size to 19 or 20s

Hi, I ordered a MYP and I'm hoping to take delivery in the next one to two months. I currently drive a 2015 Subaru WRX and I'm curious about the ride quality difference in going from the WRX to the MYP.

The 2015 WRX is on 17" wheels and has been wearing Michelin Pilot Sport 4s and also the AS3 and AS4. The ride in my WRX is pretty good for what I'd expect to feel in a car that provides good feedback of the road.

I've read lots of people talk about the 21" on the MYP being a bit rough, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience going from a WRX or STI that can tell me how it compares. I like feeling the bumps, makes me feel safer knowing the conditions of the road.

I have already ordered the 19" 9.5 Replica R241 wheels for a set of Hakkapellita winter tires, and I'm wondering if I'm just going to stick with those rims and get some AS4s or maybe a good summer tire that fits the 19" set. From what I've read, the handling improves with a square set of wheels, and I'm all about that.

I also wondering if anyone has done a square set of wheels with the 21" and just swapped them with someone else. If everyone did this, you'd have 50% of all MYP with the larger set from the back and 50% with the smaller set from the front driving around. Does this even make sense to consider? Let me know your thoughts.

Also, WTT front set of stock/OEM 21” wheels and tires for your rear set giving us both a square set of wheels. Does anyone know if the backs fit the front and vice versa? I've been wondering this for awhile.
I’ll trade ya my rears for your fronts. Mine are perfect condition with about 1k miles on them before storing away for the winter.

I’ll trade ya my rears for your fronts. Mine are perfect condition with about 1k miles on them before storing away for the winter.
I' ve gotta do some more research on how this will impact handling, but I'm definitely interested. It looks like you're in Seattle though. Might be a bit expensive to ship wheels across the country to New York.