Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP 21" Square Wheel Setup - 275 vs 255 wide tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the setup I'm thinking of, curious to get everyone's feedback. Essentially I'm running factory tires but swapping out the rear wheels to match the square fronts.

Wheels: Square 21s uberturbine 9.5" set up all around (fronts x 4)
Front tires: 255/35
Rear tires: 275/35 (on 9.5 wheel)

Do you think I might as well get 275s all around? i'm shopping new tires anyway. Am I taking any hits on range or handling with the wider front?

I’m interested to see if anyone else has done a square set up like that! 21x9.5 all around of oem wheels
I have done it, seems fine, just make sure to go into the menu and click squared and not staggered. The fronts in the rear looks similarly flush. I just bought a 2nd full set to try it, I haven't tried the rears in the front as well yet....this summer I will.

Someone did a 275 all around when he swapped his wheels with a neighbor. I think it should be fine, the rims load rating is 2k on each rim. There are lots of people who are doing square set up on 18/19/20’s with 255 wheel setups.

The load rating on both the 21" Uberturbines and the 20" Inductions is only 750kg / 1650lbs. You can tell from the GAWR rating on the stickers:

Used-2022-Tesla-ModelY-Performance-ID5724123065-aHR0cDovL2ltYWdlcy51bml0c2ludmVudG9yeS5jb20vdXBsb2Fkcy9waG90b3MvMC8yMDIyLTEwLTA3LzM0LTEwMDQ4NjY0LTYzNDExY2VkNjk3MmQuanBn

275 on the rear and 255 in the front will no longer be a square setup. You don't want to go 275 on the front, because it will make steering worse, and you'll lose efficiency. If your doing 9..5 all around, just do 255 all around so you can rotate tires. Make sure the 255 tire is 'XL' rated. Right now i'm trying 255/45/20s on my MYP and seeing how it does.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
275 on the rear and 255 in the front will no longer be a square setup. You don't want to go 275 on the front, because it will make steering worse, and you'll lose efficiency. If your doing 9..5 all around, just do 255 all around so you can rotate tires. Make sure the 255 tire is 'XL' rated. Right now i'm trying 255/45/20s on my MYP and seeing how it does.
which wheel setting did you select on the screen with the 45 ratio 20s?

The load rating on both the 21" Uberturbines and the 20" Inductions is only 750kg / 1650lbs. You can tell from the GAWR rating on the stickers:

Used-2022-Tesla-ModelY-Performance-ID5724123065-aHR0cDovL2ltYWdlcy51bml0c2ludmVudG9yeS5jb20vdXBsb2Fkcy9waG90b3MvMC8yMDIyLTEwLTA3LzM0LTEwMDQ4NjY0LTYzNDExY2VkNjk3MmQuanBn

If you look closely at that sticker, the front axle is only rated for 3004 lbs, 1500 lbs per wheel... so no, you are not rated for 1650 all around. The rear wheels are rated for 1650 though. I don't have pictures of my old uberturbines handy, so I can't verify load rating on the wheels themselves, just going by what the picture you posted says.

Keith

If you look closely at that sticker, the front axle is only rated for 3004 lbs, 1500 lbs per wheel... so no, you are not rated for 1650 all around. The rear wheels are rated for 1650 though. I don't have pictures of my old uberturbines handy, so I can't verify load rating on the wheels themselves, just going by what the picture you posted says.

Keith
Here's the thing, the GAWR is for the axle, it doesn't claim the wheel itself is rated for 3004.

Cause the only thing that sticker really says is that the front wheels have to have a MINIMUM load rating of 1500 (per wheel) to properly support the front axle. It's probably one step higher even.

Here's the thing, the GAWR is for the axle, it doesn't claim the wheel itself is rated for 3004.

Cause the only thing that sticker really says is that the front wheels have to have a MINIMUM load rating of 1500 (per wheel) to properly support the front axle. It's probably one step higher even.

Pretty sure the MYLR has different GVWR and GAWR ratings, and the only real difference between the MYLR and MYP that would affect these ratings is the OEM wheels and tires.

Can someone with a MYLR post up pictures of their sticker for comparison? It would be great if we could get MYLR with the 19" wheels and with the 20" wheels to compare to the MYP with the 21" wheels.

Keith

Pretty sure the MYLR has different GVWR and GAWR ratings, and the only real difference between the MYLR and MYP that would affect these ratings is the OEM wheels and tires.

Can someone with a MYLR post up pictures of their sticker for comparison? It would be great if we could get MYLR with the 19" wheels and with the 20" wheels to compare to the MYP with the 21" wheels.

Keith
If the Chinese owner's manual is to be believed to be about the same, then all trim versions are about the same. The manual lists "TPMLM" (Technically Permissible Maximum Laden Mass) and the one for the MYP, more or less coincide with GAWR in the previously posted image.

To me, it would make more sense that the number is literally based on what the axle can handle, because that is the last piece before touching the ground that isn't easily swappable. Wheels and tires then have to match or exceed that to work properly.

Sure, some folks have upped the pressure in tires to support more weight. But the suspension (and axle) have to also support it before they break.

That said, I'll check my sister's MYLR later, assuming I remember, to see what their sticker says.

My MYP winter setup is 275/40R20 square and I verified that it almost has the same diameter with the OEM setup. I have zero experience rubbing whatsoever and I've used this setup for 6 whole months last winter.

Mind you, I'm using aftermarket wheels and Nokia R5 EV tires.

My MYP winter setup is 275/40R20 square and I verified that it almost has the same diameter with the OEM setup. I have zero experience rubbing whatsoever and I've used this setup for 6 whole months last winter.

Mind you, I'm using aftermarket wheels and Nokia R5 EV tires.
While that’s true for the rear on MYP, all of the different size MY wheels that come from Tesla only match the front of the MYP. You size is about 2/3” bigger in diameter than those front wheels.

IMG_0786.jpeg

So apparently, my MYP is different… the ‘23 rear is higher than the ‘22.

Now, here’s my sister’s…

IMG_0785.jpeg

I was thinking the MYP was heavier axle than the MYLR, but apparently not… despite the total GVWR being heavier, weird.