Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP actually lower?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been looking at specs for both the model y long range and performance and have not been able to identify the ground clearance number for the model y performance as 6.6 inches is the only stated number.

Is the MYP actually lower? If so what is the ground clearance?

I don’t have the exact measurements but here are pictures for comparison.

You can compare the gap at the front.

Front wheel/tire diameter is the same for both models at 711mm. My rears are a little taller at 726mm so not as perfect for comparison.

Attachments

• DBC545E4-F725-4EDF-9566-61231FDA9FC9.jpeg
    DBC545E4-F725-4EDF-9566-61231FDA9FC9.jpeg
    605.5 KB · Views: 1,289
  • D1BE8190-8CE7-498E-A79A-AB95DC17733D.jpeg
    D1BE8190-8CE7-498E-A79A-AB95DC17733D.jpeg
    795.4 KB · Views: 1,516
Last edited:
I have been looking at specs for both the model y long range and performance and have not been able to identify the ground clearance number for the model y performance as 6.6 inches is the only stated number.

Is the MYP actually lower? If so what is the ground clearance?
The stock ground clearance of the Performance Model Y is 0.5" lower than the Long Range Model Y. The stock Long Range Model Y's ground clearance is 6.6"

Source: Tesla Model Y Features and Specs

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. Am I missing something as the ground clearance from the source you shared showed 6.6 for both models.

where are you getting the half inch difference?

From the launch; found this quote from MotorTrend "The Performance Upgrade Package is a no-cost option that lowers the suspension, adds 21-inch wheels and summer tires, and performance brakes and increases top speed to 155 mph (note: Tesla acknowledges that the PUP reduces range from 315 to 280 but does not provide revised EPA numbers for this package)."

Tesla Model Y Long Range vs. Performance: Which Electric SUV Is the Better Buy?

Here is a page that shows that the ground clearance of the Performance Model Y is 5.51".

Tesla Model Y Performance AWD Technical Specs, Dimensions

When the Performance Model Y was initially released you could select the performance upgrade package (PUP) at no extra charge or stay with the standard Model Y wheels, suspension and brakes. The ground clearance only lowered if you have the PUP; now all Performance Model Y include the PUP.

My recollection is that the difference was 0.5" lower; now I think the Performance Model Y with PUP may actually be ~1 inch lower than the ground clearance of the Long Range Model Y (6.6").

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruffles and cgell
It is actually lower. Haven't actually measure but when I was picking up my car, it was next to a LR model and I couldn't see over the lR but could see over (barely) above my MYP. It's about an inch or so difference I believe.

It is actually lower. Haven't actually measure but when I was picking up my car, it was next to a LR model and I couldn't see over the lR but could see over (barely) above my MYP. It's about an inch or so difference I believe.

Interesting, because higher ground clearance seems to be a selling point for a lot of people but it seems that Tesla is not saying which of the models has a 6.6 in ground clearance.

Thanks for the response. Am I missing something as the ground clearance from the source you shared showed 6.6 for both models.

where are you getting the half inch difference?
I don’t know how such things work, but could it be that the performance has lowered suspension (bringing it down) but still has the same ground clearance due to having larger wheels (bringing it back up)?

From the launch; found this quote from MotorTrend "The Performance Upgrade Package is a no-cost option that lowers the suspension, adds 21-inch wheels and summer tires, and performance brakes and increases top speed to 155 mph (note: Tesla acknowledges that the PUP reduces range from 315 to 280 but does not provide revised EPA numbers for this package)."

Tesla Model Y Long Range vs. Performance: Which Electric SUV Is the Better Buy?

Here is a page that shows that the ground clearance of the Performance Model Y is 5.51".

Tesla Model Y Performance AWD Technical Specs, Dimensions

When the Performance Model Y was initially released you could select the performance upgrade package (PUP) at no extra charge or stay with the standard Model Y wheels, suspension and brakes. The ground clearance only lowered if you have the PUP; now all Performance Model Y include the PUP.

My recollection is that the difference was 0.5" lower; now I think the Performance Model Y with PUP may actually be ~1 inch lower than the ground clearance of the Long Range Model Y (6.6").
The ground clearance of a performance y is lower than a pre yoke model s?