Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP and MYLR suspension, ground clearance differences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read several threads regarding the suspension and ground clearance differences between the P and LR, even fender measurements, but none directly answered my questions.

Tesla's order page shows that the P has "lowered suspension" and obviously 21" wheels/tires when compared to the LR with its 19" set up.

--Do the P and LR in fact have different struts (spring/absorber) combinations? As I understand it, when years ago manufactures started going with larger wheels and smaller sidewalls, they needed to actually *soften* the damping so that the suspension can do more of the work as opposed to relying on the sidewalls to absorb the shocks. In the case of of P vs LR, are the P's struts both lower and stiffer when compared to LR?

--If above is yes, what is the actual difference in ground clearance?

--Though I might agree that less wheel gap and a lower rake look better, ground clearance is equally important for me. If a MYP is fitted with 19" Geminis, will it have the same actual ground clearance as a MYLR? Or, will the MYP will still be lower because of the struts (if above is yes)? Will the calipers fit?

--Along the same lines, will a MYP ride similarly as a MYLR if fitted with 19", or will it still be stiffer because of the struts? Or, will it actually ride softer because the MYP struts are actually more softer sprung (see above) to accommodate the 21" setup?

I am aware of the performance boost for MYLRs, but I wish there was an option to increase the power, but not at the expense of ground clearance or ride.

I'd appreciate your input.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
I read several threads regarding the suspension and ground clearance differences between the P and LR, even fender measurements, but none directly answered my questions.

Tesla's order page shows that the P has "lowered suspension" and obviously 21" wheels/tires when compared to the LR with its 19" set up.

--Do the P and LR in fact have different struts (spring/absorber) combinations? As I understand it, when years ago manufactures started going with larger wheels and smaller sidewalls, they needed to actually *soften* the damping so that the suspension can do more of the work as opposed to relying on the sidewalls to absorb the shocks. In the case of of P vs LR, are the P's struts both lower and stiffer when compared to LR?

--If above is yes, what is the actual difference in ground clearance?

--Though I might agree that less wheel gap and a lower rake look better, ground clearance is equally important for me. If a MYP is fitted with 19" Geminis, will it have the same actual ground clearance as a MYLR? Or, will the MYP will still be lower because of the struts (if above is yes)? Will the calipers fit?

--Along the same lines, will a MYP ride similarly as a MYLR if fitted with 19", or will it still be stiffer because of the struts? Or, will it actually ride softer because the MYP struts are actually more softer sprung (see above) to accommodate the 21" setup?

I am aware of the performance boost for MYLRs, but I wish there was an option to increase the power, but not at the expense of ground clearance or ride.

I'd appreciate your input.
I have a 2022 MYP and a 2020 MYLR, and was curious about the ground clearance, as I heard the MYP was lower. While this might not be the best test, I measured the ground clearance to the lowest point of the body wheel well (not the mud flaps) from a flat concrete floor with the cars side by side. Both cars have their stock tires (19" Geminis for the MYLR and staggered 21" Michelin A/S for the MYP), with 42 PSI all around. The fronts were 6.0 inches for both cars, but the rears were 5.5 inches for the MYLR and 5.0 inches for the MYP. I have not measured the clearance on the MYP with 19 inch Geminis.

Using Pirelli snows on the 19 inch Geminis, the MYP suspension was a bit softer, but not as forgiving as the MYLR. We have some pretty rough roads here in Saint John, NB, Canada, and pot-hole dodge is a common sport.

Reactions: DrGriz
I have a 2022 MYP and a 2020 MYLR, and was curious about the ground clearance, as I heard the MYP was lower. While this might not be the best test, I measured the ground clearance to the lowest point of the body wheel well (not the mud flaps) from a flat concrete floor with the cars side by side. Both cars have their stock tires (19" Geminis for the MYLR and staggered 21" Michelin A/S for the MYP), with 42 PSI all around. The fronts were 6.0 inches for both cars, but the rears were 5.5 inches for the MYLR and 5.0 inches for the MYP. I have not measured the clearance on the MYP with 19 inch Geminis.

Using Pirelli snows on the 19 inch Geminis, the MYP suspension was a bit softer, but not as forgiving as the MYLR. We have some pretty rough roads here in Saint John, NB, Canada, and pot-hole dodge is a common sport.
Thank you for sharing that information. When I did a search within TMC, nothing useful showed up. When I did a Google search, several forum posts came up. For about a year there appeared to be agreement that the difference was 1.1 inches. Then a well known user who had used that measurement changed his mind and said it was 1 cm.

Your actual measurements are very valuable to know.

Thank you for sharing that information. When I did a search within TMC, nothing useful showed up. When I did a Google search, several forum posts came up. For about a year there appeared to be agreement that the difference was 1.1 inches. Then a well known user who had used that measurement changed his mind and said it was 1 cm.

I looked at all of those threads, and, unfortunately, not a one of them answered OP's basic question about the difference in ground clearance, all else aside.

I guess my account is too new to "like" a post. Thank you for this. Same for me, I haven't been able to find the specific answers.

Thank you. It makes me wonder more about the suspension differences between MYP and MYLR. It's good to know that even with 19s, MYP is not as compliant as the MYLR. Though I have not looked at the tire sizes to see if there is a height difference, I read that the staggered setup makes the rear tire/wheels slightly taller.

I read that too. I know measurements can vary a lot. I wish Tesla is publishes more specific information about the suspensions...

The diameter of the Performance Model Y 255/35R-21 front tire is 28"; the diameter of the 275/35R-21 rear tire is 28.6". If the front suspension height is 6" and the rear suspension height is 5.5" then the front and rear will have 6.0"/6.1" ground clearance with the OE staggered wheels and tires; essentially the same.

The height spec for the Long Range Model Y with either the 19" wheels (255/45R-19) or 20" wheels (255/40R-20) is 6.6"; the tire diameter is the same 28" for each.

0.6 inches = 1.524 centimeters; this is the assumed difference in ground clearance between the Long Range Model Y (6.6") and the Performance Model Y (6.0"/6.1")

0.1 inches = 0.254 centimeters or 2.54 millimeters

1/32 inch = 0.079 centimeters

2/32 inch = 0.156 centimeters (typically you would rotate the tires front to back (where applicable) when the front to rear tire tread depth varies by more than 2/32")

3/32 inch = 0.238 centimeters

Tire Size Comparison

The diameter of the Performance Model Y 255/35R-21 front tire is 28"; the diameter of the 275/35R-21 rear tire is 28.6". If the front suspension height is 6" and the rear suspension height is 5.5" then the front and rear will have 6.0"/6.1" ground clearance with the OE staggered wheels and tires; essentially the same.

The height spec for the Long Range Model Y with either the 19" wheels (255/45R-19) or 20" wheels (255/40R-20) is 6.6"; the tire diameter is the same 28" for each.

0.6 inches = 1.524 centimeters; this is the assumed difference in ground clearance between the Long Range Model Y (6.6") and the Performance Model Y (6.0"/6.1")

0.1 inches = 0.254 centimeters or 2.54 millimeters

1/32 inch = 0.079 centimeters

2/32 inch = 0.156 centimeters (typically you would rotate the tires front to back (where applicable) when the front to rear tire tread depth varies by more than 2/32")

3/32 inch = 0.238 centimeters

Tire Size Comparison
Thanks for the great info. So theoretically, there should be ~0.5 inches difference in clearance front and back. It is interesting that @HaltonY found different actual clearances between his MYP and MYLR, specifically same clearance for the front and 5.0 vs 5.5 inches for the rear. For those of us who have real world concerns about getting high centered, those numbers can make a difference (and there are all sorts of ways to address that). Thanks again.