Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Estimated delivery date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this in another thread, but We picked up my wifes Model YP two days ago. She went to costco to get groceries (she goes 1-2 times a month there for groceries) and inside everyone was talking about gas prices when she was in the check out line.

She told me, she was standing in the line with a big smile on her face, thinking "ha ha ha, I never have to do that @%Q (fill. gas tank) again!" (lol).

For the first time ever in our lives together (married at 18), we do not have an ICE vehicle. I have my 2018 model 3P and she has her new Model YP. I made just under 12k selling her 2019 X3 earlier this week. We bought it off lease, end of 2021 when its lease expired because I wasnt ready to do anything.

First time ever for me buying a BMW off lease, because they were normally under water, but I knew this one wouldnt be.

I didnt care about "austin build" or "4680 batteries", for myself. I actually wanted "the battery I know, that has been tested, and is fully understood at this point". Probably because I have the same battery in my model 3P and know about it, etc.
I'm with you, I'll take new chip, wipers, headlight etc. Battery is not a deal breaker at this point. I was shopping for a electric work truck, its just hard to justify the costs & wait times right now. Might be one more ICE work truck until the supply catches up. I'll still have to fill up the old VW but I was chatting with another VW friend about possibly doing a tesla conversation when the engine blows.

Reactions: advocate8
I posted this in another thread, but We picked up my wifes Model YP two days ago. She went to costco to get groceries (she goes 1-2 times a month there for groceries) and inside everyone was talking about gas prices when she was in the check out line.

She told me, she was standing in the line with a big smile on her face, thinking "ha ha ha, I never have to do that @%Q (fill. gas tank) again!" (lol).

For the first time ever in our lives together (married at 18), we do not have an ICE vehicle. I have my 2018 model 3P and she has her new Model YP. I made just under 12k selling her 2019 X3 earlier this week. We bought it off lease, end of 2021 when its lease expired because I wasnt ready to do anything.

First time ever for me buying a BMW off lease, because they were normally under water, but I knew this one wouldnt be.

I didnt care about "austin build" or "4680 batteries", for myself. I actually wanted "the battery I know, that has been tested, and is fully understood at this point". Probably because I have the same battery in my model 3P and know about it, etc.

Nothing is free. You still have to charge your EVs which is not free. Gas saving is not much. you pay more for insurance, tax, tires, etc. Unless you keep your EVs more than 10 years, the savings are negligible. But at least it will make you feel better. =)

ok well, no...its not wrong. at all.

the cost per mile is DRASTICALLY lower for Teslas. A full charge on a supercharger is about $12-$18 depending. that same distance in a gas car would cost $70-$80 right now for an average EPA rated 20MPG car.

This.

Exactly how I feel. I'd LOVE a 4680 after I know what it offers factually and once the bugs are out. I Also have/had the same in my M3P and it worked perfectly fine. I just hope my MYP makes that M3P Buzzing/electric noise when I put down the acceleration pedal.

I think I am done with the waiting game.
Now estimate is that there enough 4180s for about 30,000 vehicles this year. Boring old colors and another $1,000 raise price!
May look at Ioniq 5 to keep until CYBRTRK comes in.

By the numbers
Ioniq 5
$43650
- $500. Military discount
$43150 X 0.06 = $2500 tax

$45650 - $7500 tax credit (end of year)

Out the door $38,150
No brainer
Or
4WD
$46,150

Will consider a white one and have it wrapped in my favorite color.

Model YP $70,000

Speed is not worth $30k

Or would you recommend taking delivery on the MYP Blue/White (on hold) and selling it after a few months?

Last edited:
Understood… was just using my real numbers to undermine the assertion there’s no savings…tvv BBC ate less than 25 percent.
Also in 22000 mins and two years zero maintenance zero repairs.
IT is more complicated then just how much charging cost vs gas. Have to include the difference in cost of what vehicle you are moving from or comparing. For example I have a 2007 Toyota Tundra that is paid off. Yes it cost more in gas to drive it and oil changes etc. If I were making a pure financial decision could never justify the Tesla. Since I am not making a pure financial decision I am ordering a Y. This is is extreme example but cost of the Tesla over another a factor has to be considered.

Nothing is free. You still have to charge your EVs which is not free. Gas saving is not much. you pay more for insurance, tax, tires, etc. Unless you keep your EVs more than 10 years, the savings are negligible. But at least it will make you feel better. =)

Who said anything about "free"? perhaps you could point out where I said that? For me, insurance is exactly the same cost (so no, its not more) and gas saving is about 40-50% and yes I have calculated it. I also have solar, which obviously isnt free, but is a known cost per kWh vs the ever rising utility rates.

"I never have to fill up with gas again" doesnt mean anyone said "its free".

Your statements may be correct for you, but please do not project them onto me since they are not accurate for me. Seems like you are projecting something from another argument somewhere else.

I think I am done with the waiting game.
Now estimate is that there enough 4180s for about 30,000 vehicles this year. Boring old colors and another $1,000 raise price!
May look at Ioniq 5 to keep until CYBRTRK comes in.

By the numbers
Ioniq 5
$43650
- $500. Military discount
$43150 X 0.06 = $2500 tax

$45650 - $7500 tax credit (end of year)

Out the door $38,150
No brainer
Or
4WD
$46,150

Will consider a white one and have it wrapped in my favorite color.

Model YP $70,000

Speed is not worth $30k

Or would you recommend taking delivery on the MYP Blue/White (on hold) and selling it after a few months?
Can you get the Ioniq for MSRP? Did a quick search and looks like there may be one in my area but I would be surprised if it could be bought at MSRP.

Who said anything about "free"? perhaps you could point out where I said that? For me, insurance is exactly the same cost (so no, its not more) and gas saving is about 40-50% and yes I have calculated it. I also have solar, which obviously isnt free, but is a known cost per kWh vs the ever rising utility rates.

Your statements may be correct for you, but please do not project them onto me since they are not accurate for me. Seems like you are projecting something from another argument somewhere else.
Let me explain.
I said "free" in terms of you still have to pay to charge,
I am making my statements based on my personal experience, so no pushing/projecting argument here.
You said "gas savings is about 40-50%" but can you explain 40-50% out of what?
Currently installing solar system is losing money meaning you pay or borrow money to install and it takes about 8-10 years before you make net profit assuming your solar cells/panels/other systems still work (most solar cells/panels fail/degrade before advertised 25 years life)

Here is fun facts:
My Mazda CX-5 AWD gets 25, 31 mpg (city, highway) and had zero maintenance outside warranty work for 3 years other than oil changes ($36 per year), 44 k miles with original tires and battery. and I paid $33k OTD, I pay about $650 per year for auto insurance.
CX-5 has 13 gallon gas tank. Current regular in my area is $4.25, so that's $55 every two to three weeks (depending on travel distance that month)
My gas mileage does not change due to weather and did not have any panel gap, ear pain, phantom braking, did not have to get the PPF, extra mud flaps, etc no extra cost other than the vehicle cost.

So, when you compare my CX-5 with my MYP (on order) and my brother's MYP (current), I can't say EV's saving me money,

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Mateo83

My experience is insurance is more expensive. In addition tesla are more expensive to repair should it be damaged

You may wish to recalculate. Screenshot_20220311-174124_Flipboard.jpg

Well it all depends on your ICE vehicle and cost of electricity. my example is simple X5 (20 MPG with prem gas @$4.5) and Model 3 paying 0.04 Cents KWH (off peak). So wife drive 15K a year, X5 would be $3.4K per year for gas VS. $213 in Electricity and I assume 10% loss in charging efficiency. So for us $3.2K a year plus instant acceleration is kind of nice.
If gas keeps going up, its a no brainer.

Reactions: advocate8
Well it all depends on your ICE vehicle and cost of electricity. my example is simple X5 (20 MPG with prem gas @$4.5) and Model 3 paying 0.04 Cents KWH (off peak). So wife drive 15K a year, X5 would be $3.4K per year for gas VS. $213 in Electricity and I assume 10% loss in charging efficiency. So for us $3.2K a year plus instant acceleration is kind of nice.
Curious if you’re factoring in your transmission fees and such for your electric. $.04 seems really low

Still $33k vs. $70k-$80k. initial gap can’t be covered by electricity savings vs gas price.