Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Estimated delivery date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me explain.
I said "free" in terms of you still have to pay to charge,
I am making my statements based on my personal experience, so no pushing/projecting argument here.
You said "gas savings is about 40-50%" but can you explain 40-50% out of what?
Currently installing solar system is losing money meaning you pay or borrow money to install and it takes about 8-10 years before you make net profit assuming your solar cells/panels/other systems still work (most solar cells/panels fail/degrade before advertised 25 years life)

Here is fun facts:
My Mazda CX-5 AWD gets 25, 31 mpg (city, highway) and had zero maintenance outside warranty work for 3 years other than oil changes ($36 per year), 44 k miles with original tires and battery. and I paid $33k OTD, I pay about $650 per year for auto insurance.
CX-5 has 13 gallon gas tank. Current regular in my area is $4.25, so that's $55 every two to three weeks (depending on travel distance that month)
My gas mileage does not change due to weather and did not have any panel gap, ear pain, phantom braking, did not have to get the PPF, extra mud flaps, etc no extra cost other than the vehicle cost.

So, when you compare my CX-5 with my MYP (on order) and my brother's MYP (current), I can't say EV's saving me money,

I spent 2500 on gas driving my BMW 435 the year before I got my model 3P in 2018, and I spent about 1200 on electricity to power it in 2019. My tesla cost the same to insure as the BMW so insurance was a wash.

I am not going into the "solar is a losing proposition because it might not work longer than 8-10 years argument because thats a strawman, and also not what I have personally experienced (nor anyone else who is a regular in the tesla energy subforum).

Current regular unleaded in my area (the which is what matters when I am talking about my own experiences) is $5.45 a gallon, but regular unleaded doesnt matter to me, because BMWs want premium fuel, and right now that is $5.50 to $6.00.

Any calculations I did were in 2019 when gas prices were more normal. The higher it goes, the better I am doing, since my electricity prices are "stable" with solar providing the vast majority of my electricity.

So, your calculations show it doesnt work for you. Thats fine. I am not disputing that in the slightest. What I do dispute however is someone intimating that somehow it doesnt work for me.

The cars I drive are roughly the same price, for the vehicle, as I am not comparing a 60-70k tesla to a 30k vehicle, cause thats not what "I" was, or am driving.

My gas charge last month on my LS430(23mpg regular costco fuel) = $680 (I have my costco credit card for facts check)
I drive around 2500 miles a month. Along with maintenance(fuel change, transmission flush, brakes, etc) it’s becoming more of a burden to keep. I did my Kw calculations for the electricity in my area, (9centsk/w), it’ll end up costing me roughly 60-80 per month in electricity not including the 10 dollars off monthly from Duke energy for owning an EV.

One of my main issues was constantly going to the pump. I now can just charge at home and when I get to the office (I had a 14-50 installed). The amount of time wasted at costco waiting is enough to drive a normal person insane. It wasn’t too bed when fuel was 1.89/gallon. It hurts a bit more at 4.29/gallon.

… One of my main issues was constantly going to the pump. I now can just charge at home and when I get to the office (I had a 14-50 installed). The amount of time wasted at costco waiting is enough to drive a normal person insane. …

This is one of the things I’m looking forward too. I hate buying gas. I live in Central Texas, so it is either too hot or too cold to stand next to the pump. Then it seems like I always need gas when I’m in a hurry. It’ll be nice to always have the car be full when I get in it.

Reactions: Fairchild
NEWS FLASH~!

Decided to take the leap tonight to IONIC 5.

This waiting, 4180 perpetual mystery, color limitations, Giga Texas, Giga nowhere, reduced range, and the increased price among same-looking cars, has just gotten to me. Secrets, delays, secrets, promises, delays, more secrets. Enough consumer abuse.

The Ionic 5 is selling for thousands above MSRP ($10k in FL). I found a country dealer, who will give me an IONIC 5 Limited Dual Motor AWD with glass roof with power shades and all the toys for MSRP $54,810 with delivery in the next two weeks. Quiet, solid, and innovative for $15,000 less than the Model Y I have on HOLD. Not to mention the $7500 tax credit a the end of the year. That's $22,000 less than the YP. For me, a NO BRAINER.

When a dedicated Tesla owner (had six) and confirmed Hyundai hater, like myself, is making the leap, believe me, it is time for TESLA to take note and wake up. I am not alone. I am indeed a TESLA fan and will keep my stock, however, I will be riding in an Ionic until my CYBRTRK arrives (Only God knows when).
BTW, I don't think I will miss the farting seats, as I enjoy Android Carplay.

I will do an honest appraisal of likes and dislikes comparing the Ionic to the S, Y, 3, and X after about a month of ownership.

I still have an MYP Blue/White on HOLD and could decide to accept it at some point.
I saw one the freeway yesterday and it looked really nice. Congrats on beating the huge over charge from other dealers. 54,810 makes it reasonable. But it still does not make want to ditch my MYP. Maybe when they make the ioniq 5 GT model I might change my mind. I like my MYP how fast it and the firm ride. Hopefully the GT will has some of those characteristics and it could make me want to switch. By then Tesla will intro a MYPlaid. So the competition will just continue. But being there is competition I think teslas and all ev’s will all benefit I hope.

Last edited: