Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP for Digital Nomad Travel - Charging, Tires, Battery Degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Long time lurker and have not yet quite found the answers I'm looking for here regarding using a MYP as a long-term, cross-country travel vehicle.

Background: I bought a 2023 M3RWD (LFP) during the $7500 December offer. I love it. But two things are annoying me: the size and the range. After research, I realize most of the ranges of current MY and M3 offerings are really within a 50 mile range it seems, so mostly negligible right? For the size, I really miss having the extra trunk space, the higher seating position, which is easier for mom and dad to get in and out, and the ability to tow.

Now that I work remotely, I'd like to travel and work well... everywhere in the continuous states (maybe CAN and MEX too, but not worried about that right now).

I needed a new car anyway and would much prefer one that will last me somewhere in the range of 7+ years and has everything I want - in this case, AWD, extra space, tow capacity, SPEED, etc. I would be buying a 2022 MYLR or MYP (mainly because I would like the USS sensors, but also because I'm finding them for 50k on carmax right now).

SO, I wanted to ask this massive community of knowledge a few questions:

1. Has anyone in here been using their MYP/MYLR in this way?
2. Have you seen any significant in battery deg related to traveling like this?
3. MYP owners, did you add the 19" wheel kit and did it add any range?

It seems as though

Whoops hit post by mistake and now it won't let me edit. What I was going to end with was...

It seems as though the biggest downside to the MYP over the MYLR is the cost of tires and inefficiency of 21" wheels. What else am I missing?

Oh and also - if any MY owners that have done a lot of cross country traveling can share their best practices for charging and maintaining battery health while traveling, please do share!

Any and all help greatly appreciated!