Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP impressions coming from 2018 M3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a MYP the other day and coming from one of the first 2018 Model 3 LR dual motor (with premium interior), it's quite an upgrade.

pros - it heats up much better in the cabin (not just from the heated steering wheel, but that's also a plus). Normally I have my temp set at 70 in the model 3 but 67 in the model Y was plenty warm.
- the sound system is a marked improvement
- matrix headlights, although not the most adaptive on the market, is a marked improvement from the headlights from the model 3 (not matrix)
- incredible speed and acceleration (i did not get to really test the handling around corners since it was snowing and a trip to the body shop is not on my list of things to do)
- paint job was much better than what initially had on delivery in 2018
- body panel gaps (including the glass roof) were not an issue, and i ran my finger over the different transitions.
- michelin pilot all season tires - the ride was similar to my model 3. not noticeably harsher and there were parts of my drive home on highways under construction. this could be the benefit of the comfort suspension.

cons- loss of homelink built in, loss of lifetime free premium connectivity, loss of included charger, no coin tray in the center console (i was able to take the one from my model 3)
-absolute horrible trade in value ($28K, including FSD, 57k miles) - previous trade in value from tesla was $34k back in october. but realistically, all other websites/services were offering less than $28k
-the vehicle was kept outside so i did my inspection in 35 degree cold. i signed the paperwork inside, but still.... my Model 3 delivery was in their service bay and that was in september.......

to all who are taking delivery later on this month, i hope you're as pleased as I am, and for those who have stayed around to read until the end- here's bit of good info - I have released my reservation on a model Y LR with MATRIX headlights in the illiinois suburbs. White with induction wheels. no other options added. I kept it on my account just in case the MYP was unacceptable to me. I had already refused a VIN so it was my backup plan. I did an external inspection of this MYLR and there were no issues with body panel gaps/glass roof seams. I lost my $250 deposit but that's the price i paid for having a backup option for the end of the year