Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP: Is it still worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the reduction of the price Model Y LR by $1000 and increase in price of MYP by the same amount, the price difference between Model Y Performance and the Model Y LR is now $12000. I have a MYP on order and was planning on taking delivery by March end.
My question to existing owners: is $12k worth the premium? Even with acceleration boost added on the LR, the price difference is $10k. I am unable to figure out the thought process of Tesla here. they have reduced prices across the range except for MYP.

Totally subjective.

We have 2 Performance models now. I thought I'd end up ordering another one, but after driving both the LR and P back to back, I didn't feel like the difference was that great in real world driving. LR with 20" is a little sharper in transitions than the Geminis, but rides better than the MYP, so I went that way. For our use case, 35 series tires and lowered suspension are not ideal. The price change is just a bonus for me.

But I'm sure the MYP will be good for many others.

Its $12k difference now, but for us New Yorkers its $16k. LR have the $2k EV incentives but MYP don't, because of the 1k bump and it passed the $60k base price to qualify. For my case, i ordered last month and the difference was $10k. Minus $2k 20" wheel and $2k boost,
which ended up the real difference is $6k. Its a no brainer for me now that i know if i ordered the car today. I would have to pay $10k extra for the same car.
Btw, i read that the boost package will be more noticeable above 70% charge. So it's not really at the same level as the MYP in terms of speed. In other word, its like paying 12k for a fully loaded options for an ICE car. Which i always do and ok with it.

Totally subjective.

I thought I'd end up ordering another one, but after driving both the LR and P back to back, I didn't feel like the difference was that great in real world driving.

Completely in agreement with this statement. It's all subjective and only matters what YOU want.

Some people are happy with getting the LR and boost option and (now) saving $10k over the MYP. Others want the MYP because it's a Performance model and comes with a few extra goodies, including the track pack and suspension to go with it. However, it's a matter of what you ultimately want and what's best going to suit you. If you can, test drive a LR and MYP back to back to get a better feel of what's going to suit your needs better.

Me personally, I'm completely content with the LR Y with or without the boost option, and saving $10-12k is just a bonus. That said, if I had the extra cash & means to get a MYP, then I would certainly buy one and enjoy it to its fullest.

Personally, I want the MYP coz I don't want any regrets later on. However, I have not been able to test drive one, so all I know is that it will be a tad faster than a Model Y LR with acceleration boost and few goodies thrown in. I am trying to gauge if thats worth 12k.
12k can also fetch me a full body wrap, new wheels and lowering suspension, so there are some decisions to be made here.

With the reduction of the price Model Y LR by $1000 and increase in price of MYP by the same amount, the price difference between Model Y Performance and the Model Y LR is now $12000. I have a MYP on order and was planning on taking delivery by March end.
My question to existing owners: is $12k worth the premium? Even with acceleration boost added on the LR, the price difference is $10k. I am unable to figure out the thought process of Tesla here. they have reduced prices across the range except for MYP.

Got an early 2020 MYP as our family car.
I was going to replace my high-mileage (84K mile) 2 year old LR AWD M3 with a second MYP but opted for a 7 seater LR AWD Y instead.

I figure - use the 11K difference to get:
$3K for 3rd row seats
$3K coilover suspension for LR AWD
$3K coilover suspension for MYP
$2K acceleration boost for LR AWD (maybe)

To me, this seems to be a better use of the $11K.