Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP low pitch drone road noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

H4V0C

MYP MSM|Blk Mar 8 DD
Jan 16, 2022
Tampa, FL
I have an MYP for an overnight test drive and curious if others also hear a low pitch drone when driving? It's noticeable from apx 20mph and up. No one would accuse me of having good hearing, so I'm a bit concerned that this is so noticable. It's not extremely loud like a subwoofer, but the pitch of the drone makes it nauseating and deafening. If you've ever put one window down in a car at highway speed, and you get that loud low pitch buffeting sound, that's the closest thing I can relate this to. It's not nearly as loud as that, and it's constant (not buffeting). My daily driver is a Raptor so it's not like I'm coming from a quiet luxury car.

Not sure if I should see if they have a different MYP too test drive or try the MYLR? I have a MYP on order so I'd really like to know if this is normal and if so, has anybody found a solution (ie changing tires)? Aside from the noise, I Iove the car and I'm not turned off by the slightly rough ride from the 21s.

Are you sure all the windows are all the way up? It could also be road or wind noise that you're just not familiar with because you typically have engine noise covering it.

I'd definitely ask for another loaner and tell them your experience. There may be something wrong with their loaner car.

MYP’s ultra low profile tires are known to add low rumble since they pick up road noise more than 20 and 19 inch tires. Many MYP owners switch to smaller tires with more sidewall to increase ride comfort and decrease road noise a bit. All model y models are a bit noisey due to the more sport oriented suspension and there is not too much (any?) sound deadening material in rear of model y. a few people on this forum have added their own sound deadening material to rear wheel wells and other areas of trunk.
That being said the road material and quality makes an enormous contribution (most) in model Y models due to the suspension and noise/vibration characteristics. Newer roads constructed of a mix of rubber and asphalt I think, result in a smooth quiet ride. Older road constructions of greyer looking asphalt can bring out a constant rumble. The there is the dreaded patchwork roads which mix all sorts of materials which are horrid to drive over.

Reactions: H4V0C
I have an MYP for an overnight test drive and curious if others also hear a low pitch drone when driving? It's noticeable from apx 20mph and up. No one would accuse me of having good hearing, so I'm a bit concerned that this is so noticable. It's not extremely loud like a subwoofer, but the pitch of the drone makes it nauseating and deafening. If you've ever put one window down in a car at highway speed, and you get that loud low pitch buffeting sound, that's the closest thing I can relate this to. It's not nearly as loud as that, and it's constant (not buffeting). My daily driver is a Raptor so it's not like I'm coming from a quiet luxury car.

Not sure if I should see if they have a different MYP too test drive or try the MYLR? I have a MYP on order so I'd really like to know if this is normal and if so, has anybody found a solution (ie changing tires)? Aside from the noise, I Iove the car and I'm not turned off by the slightly rough ride from the 21s.

Check out the ear pain pressure thread

Two things, constant low freq noise comes from the top of the rear wheel well. There is a thick layer of foam insulation on it, but I don't think it's enough. After adding sound deadening material ontop of the metal but below the foam (it's way easier than it sounds), there was a noticeable improvement.

Also you might want to adjust your hatch stops and make sure they make FIRM contact.

If none of these remedy your issue of feeling nauseated, you might want to put 5/16" OD vinyl tubing in the rear hatch gasket seal to firm it up. The combo of all above essentially eliminated all low-frequency sound in my cabin.