Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP moving rear tyres to the front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...and putting 295's on the rear.

I was watching this video on youtube:

With a Model Y P, he has taken the 275 wide tyres off the rear rims and installed them at the front (replacing the 255's). Then purchased a set of 295wide and put those on the rear rims.

This appears to offer better rim protection, slightly better ride, and frankly looks better than the current stretched configuration. All for the cost of 2 tyres, which is significantly cheaper than changing wheels.

Any thoughts on the option? I'm assuming a slight range loss due to the extra 20mm width on each tyre.

The width of the MYP 21" OE front wheels is 9.5", OE 21" rear wheels are 10.5". The 275s may be too wide to properly fit the front wheels.
That tire will fit just fine on a 9.5" wheel. A 275/35/21 should mount fine on wheels from about 9" wide to about 11" wide. The better question is whether the Y has sufficient clearance for the increased width and height of the tire (it seemed OK in the video, but I didn't see the wheels turned to lock) .

The other issue is what changing to those tire sizes will do to the accuracy of your speedometer and to the overall efficiency of the car. In the front you are moving from a 28" diameter tire to a 28.6" diameter tire. In the rear you are moving from a 28.6" diameter tire to a 29.1" diameter tire. The car will probably read a mile to a mile and a half slower than it is actually going. The increased contact patch of the tires and less aerodynamic profile of the tire and wheel will have some efficiency penalty, but it might be negligible. I'm curious to hear feedback from anyone that tries it.

I did this on my MYP. Here in Sweden we get the Pirelli P Zero on the 21". So a few weeks after getting the car I ordered some P Zero 295/35 and swapped. I´m really happy with the outcome. Now I´m not that afraid anymore of trashing the rims. The consumption has increased a bit, I can´t say exactly how much though. The road noise was slightly higher in the beginning and I was actually a bit bothered about it but after driving around 1500 km it seems to be lower. Either the new tires have been worn in or I have got used to the noise. But I really think it looks sooo much better when it´s not stretched.

Here´s some after pictures:

Back
IMG_8109.jpg

Front
IMG_8159.jpg

• Love
Reactions: VegasMYP
I did this 2 days after I picked up the ride. Imo the car looks and feels better on the road.

Some might wait for the original set to wear our before they make the change. I figured I could get around 600 cdn back for the 2 fronts which are basically brand new.

Reactions: Onshore
I did this on my MYP. Here in Sweden we get the Pirelli P Zero on the 21". So a few weeks after getting the car I ordered some P Zero 295/35 and swapped. I´m really happy with the outcome. Now I´m not that afraid anymore of trashing the rims. The consumption has increased a bit, I can´t say exactly how much though. The road noise was slightly higher in the beginning and I was actually a bit bothered about it but after driving around 1500 km it seems to be lower. Either the new tires have been worn in or I have got used to the noise. But I really think it looks sooo much better when it´s not stretched.

Here´s some after pictures:

Back
View attachment 836032

Front
View attachment 836033
Hello, I know this is a while ago but what P zero's did you go for? There are many different OEM versions to choose from.
Thanks.