Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP on new Michelin All Seasons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dirtman16

White TM3 LR RWD; Red MYP 11/30 OD
Jun 14, 2019
Madison, AL
I'm patiently waiting for my model y performance to be delivered in late January, and I have been excited to see the switch over to the all-season tires on the performance model.

Is there anyone who has gotten these already and can speak to the ride quality on the new tire selection? This was really my only hesitation and going for the performance model, and I know tires can make a big difference on this metric.

The 21" AS4 tires coming on the MYP now are built to a T0 spec, which means they've been tweaked from the generic AS4 tire for Tesla. So all comparisons with other versions/sizes of AS4 tires should be considered in that light.

I suspect they added the foam and adjusted the compound for reduced rolling resistance but that's solely my speculation.

The 21" AS4 tires coming on the MYP now are built to a T0 spec, which means they've been tweaked from the generic AS4 tire for Tesla. So all comparisons with other versions/sizes of AS4 tires should be considered in that light.

I suspect they added the foam and adjusted the compound for reduced rolling resistance but that's solely my speculation.

Yeah, the new factory 21” Michelin’s do have an “ACOUSTIC” logo on them, which should mean there is foam in them.

Reactions: Zoomit
I took delivery of my 2021 Model Y Performance in November and it came with the Pirelli summer 21” tires. I had an order for the OEM Michelin Pilot A/S 4 OEM sizes but both front and rear were back ordered ~60 days so after a bit of searching I found a place in Florida (Rims Outlet) that has stock of the OEM Michelins. I paid $1430 for all 4 tires, and with free shipping, they arrived to Philadelphia in 3 days via Fedex. They’re the 255/35/21 and 275/35/21 Michelins and they do have the Tesla spec foam on the inside. I’m selling the OEM summer tires on eBay.

Reactions: CrownDad
I took delivery of my 2021 Model Y Performance in November and it came with the Pirelli summer 21” tires. I had an order for the OEM Michelin Pilot A/S 4 OEM sizes but both front and rear were back ordered ~60 days so after a bit of searching I found a place in Florida (Rims Outlet) that has stock of the OEM Michelins. I paid $1430 for all 4 tires, and with free shipping, they arrived to Philadelphia in 3 days via Fedex. They’re the 255/35/21 and 275/35/21 Michelins and they do have the Tesla spec foam on the inside. I’m selling the OEM summer tires on eBay.
Huge thanks on this. Was able to order the 295/35/21 from them and already got a tracking number while tire rack is still showing a 1/8/22 estimated availability.

Im not really worried about the Tesla spec foam this time around, just wanted to get tires to make sure I’m covered if it ever gets cold. Luckily global warming has given me some leeway. Will go for the Tesla foam after these wear out whme hopefully theyre more readily available

PS i didnt see the 255’s listed on their site (i didnt need them anyway, already have the 265’s in my garage)

Huge thanks on this. Was able to order the 295/35/21 from them and already got a tracking number while tire rack is still showing a 1/8/22 estimated availability.

Im not really worried about the Tesla spec foam this time around, just wanted to get tires to make sure I’m covered if it ever gets cold. Luckily global warming has given me some leeway. Will go for the Tesla foam after these wear out whme hopefully theyre more readily available

PS i didnt see the 255’s listed on their site (i didnt need them anyway, already have the 265’s in my garage)

I just received 1 of my 295/35/21. Ordered Sunday, shipped Monday, arrived in Delaware Tuesday. Great shipping and price was close enough to TireRack. Buy with confidence

Not sure why they ever got separated by fedex, but just waiting on the other tire to arrive. Scheduled an appt to get them installed Thursday, big relief

Op, mine came with Michelins recently, and since I have not driven MYP with Pirelli, I cannot compare the two.
But I can tell you that the ride quality on my MYP is almost identical as my MYLR with 20’’ Induction Wheels.
Although I am in Socal, and Pirelli's would have been fine, but I was worried about the ride quality being harsh, and I'm glad it came with Michelins.

Reactions: Dirtman16
An interesting note is the Michelin AS4 has a treadwear rating of 540 vs the Pirelli’s 280. Michelin has a 45k mile warranty on their AS4 vs no treadwear warranty for the Pirelli. That’s a huge difference. Finally, the AS4 tires are 1-2lbs lighter than the Pirellis. So I think these Michelins have a real potential to make the Model Y Performance a more friendly daily driver in hot or cold climates.

Reactions: OutofPocket