Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Ordered today and delivery soon, wait for 4680?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As title mentions, I ordered an MYP today (gray with black interior, no fsd, no hitch) and being given an estimate of Aug 16-20 already. Based on VIN it’s a Fremont car, is it worth it to wait for the 4680 cells/Austin made one? Any other benefits in an austin made one? Thanks

As title mentions, I ordered an MYP today (gray with black interior, no fsd, no hitch) and being given an estimate of Aug 16-20 already. Based on VIN it’s a Fremont car, is it worth it to wait for the 4680 cells/Austin made one? Any other benefits in an austin made one? Thanks
Currently, the only 4680-equipped Tesla has a range of 279 miles, while we were thinking about at least 500 miles to start.

That's because there is not enough cell production for more range.

It is being ramped up, but you'll be lucky if there will be enough by the end of this year.

Pros:
Lighter
More range (not now, but in theory)
Less noise due to single-piece cast

Cons:
Long wait (my guess is years for Performance)
Very difficult to replace the battery due to structural design as a part of a structure and not a separate removable pack (more labor means more costly).
Unproven: too new to know.

Last edited: