Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP - Parked at airport 5 days

Canefan456

Sep 26, 2020
Atlanta
I just returned from a trip where I had to leave my car at the airport from Sunday to Thursday. Obviously, I was concerned about phantom drain and having enough battery to make it home. Here's what I did:

Charged to 100% prior to leaving for the airport.

Turned off sentry, summon, security alarm (set pin to drive just in case), wifi, cabin overheat protection, and unplugged my USB drive. Basically everything.

Checked car thru app only once per day for peace of mind.

Arrived at the parking lot with 87% charge and returned to the car 5 days later with 86% remaining. Obviously very happy with this. Did I need to turn off everything that I did?... Who knows but it's good to know that phantom drain wasn't really an issue.

Last edited:

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
I just returned from a trip where I had to leave my car at the airport from Sunday to Thursday. Obviously, I was concerned about phantom drain and having enough battery to make it home. Here's what I did:

Charged to 100% prior to leaving for the airport.

Turned off sentry, summon, security alarm (set pin to drive just in case), wifi, and unplugged my USB drive.

Checked car thru app only once per day for peace of mind.

Arrived at the parking lot with 87% charge and returned to the car 5 days later with 86% remaining. Obviously very happy with this. Did I need to turn off everything that I did?... Who knows but it's good to know that phantom drain wasn't really an issue.
Turning off Sentry Mode and Summon definitely reduced the power drain. I don't think you needed to disable the alarm system or remove the USB drive. In the warmer months know that if you have Cabin Overheat Protection turned on this will only remain active for 12 hours after you park the Tesla. You can set Cabin Overheat Protection to only run the fan and not use the AC. To reset the 12 hour clock you would need to remotely unlock, then lock the Tesla vehicle.

psquare

Jun 22, 2020
Montreal
This is good to know because I was wondering the same thing. The airport is about 30 minutes away and I wanted to know how bad the phantom drain was. In my case I would be leaving it for 14 days or more. So if I arrive with around 90% that should be more than enough. What about in cold weather?

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
This is good to know because I was wondering the same thing. The airport is about 30 minutes away and I wanted to know how bad the phantom drain was. In my case I would be leaving it for 14 days or more. So if I arrive with around 90% that should be more than enough. What about in cold weather?
Just park the vehicle with 50% to 90% state of charge (SOC.) Turn off Sentry Mode and Summon. Don't keep checking on the Tesla via the phone app as every time you do this wakes up the Tesla, uses more power. Expect to lose 1 to 2 % of battery charge per day. Unlike Cabin Overheat Protection the Tesla vehicle will not automatically warm the battery unless the vehicle is plugged in and charging. You can precondition the Tesla vehicle using the app when you return.

Reactions: psquare

Canefan456

Sep 26, 2020
Atlanta
Just park the vehicle with 50% to 90% state of charge (SOC.) Turn off Sentry Mode and Summon. Don't keep checking on the Tesla via the phone app as every time you do this wakes up the Tesla, uses more power. Expect to lose 1 to 2 % of battery charge per day. Unlike Cabin Overheat Protection the Tesla vehicle will not automatically warm the battery unless the vehicle is plugged in and charging. You can precondition the Tesla vehicle using the app when you return.
By turning off everything in my OP, I lost 1% total over 5 days not 1-2% per day.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe and psquare

Gaige

Dec 11, 2020
SF Bay Area
We left our MYLR in a friend's garage from August until November where we couldn't plug it in, we were traveling on a train trip across the country.

It started at 75% (based on driving to get there)

Checked in on it pretty much weekly and saw very slow drain.

When we got back in November it was at 55%.

With everything I know now, I would have tried harder to have it plugged in somehow and wheels supported with tire blocks to prevent flat spots from forming.. but was impressed with little phantom drain and wouldn't be afraid to leave it for longer periods again.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC