Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP - Parked at airport 5 days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just returned from a trip where I had to leave my car at the airport from Sunday to Thursday. Obviously, I was concerned about phantom drain and having enough battery to make it home. Here's what I did:

Charged to 100% prior to leaving for the airport.

Turned off sentry, summon, security alarm (set pin to drive just in case), wifi, cabin overheat protection, and unplugged my USB drive. Basically everything.

Checked car thru app only once per day for peace of mind.

Arrived at the parking lot with 87% charge and returned to the car 5 days later with 86% remaining. Obviously very happy with this. Did I need to turn off everything that I did?... Who knows but it's good to know that phantom drain wasn't really an issue.

Last edited:
I just returned from a trip where I had to leave my car at the airport from Sunday to Thursday. Obviously, I was concerned about phantom drain and having enough battery to make it home. Here's what I did:

Charged to 100% prior to leaving for the airport.

Turned off sentry, summon, security alarm (set pin to drive just in case), wifi, and unplugged my USB drive.

Checked car thru app only once per day for peace of mind.

Arrived at the parking lot with 87% charge and returned to the car 5 days later with 86% remaining. Obviously very happy with this. Did I need to turn off everything that I did?... Who knows but it's good to know that phantom drain wasn't really an issue.
Turning off Sentry Mode and Summon definitely reduced the power drain. I don't think you needed to disable the alarm system or remove the USB drive. In the warmer months know that if you have Cabin Overheat Protection turned on this will only remain active for 12 hours after you park the Tesla. You can set Cabin Overheat Protection to only run the fan and not use the AC. To reset the 12 hour clock you would need to remotely unlock, then lock the Tesla vehicle.

This is good to know because I was wondering the same thing. The airport is about 30 minutes away and I wanted to know how bad the phantom drain was. In my case I would be leaving it for 14 days or more. So if I arrive with around 90% that should be more than enough. What about in cold weather?

This is good to know because I was wondering the same thing. The airport is about 30 minutes away and I wanted to know how bad the phantom drain was. In my case I would be leaving it for 14 days or more. So if I arrive with around 90% that should be more than enough. What about in cold weather?
Just park the vehicle with 50% to 90% state of charge (SOC.) Turn off Sentry Mode and Summon. Don't keep checking on the Tesla via the phone app as every time you do this wakes up the Tesla, uses more power. Expect to lose 1 to 2 % of battery charge per day. Unlike Cabin Overheat Protection the Tesla vehicle will not automatically warm the battery unless the vehicle is plugged in and charging. You can precondition the Tesla vehicle using the app when you return.

Just park the vehicle with 50% to 90% state of charge (SOC.) Turn off Sentry Mode and Summon. Don't keep checking on the Tesla via the phone app as every time you do this wakes up the Tesla, uses more power. Expect to lose 1 to 2 % of battery charge per day. Unlike Cabin Overheat Protection the Tesla vehicle will not automatically warm the battery unless the vehicle is plugged in and charging. You can precondition the Tesla vehicle using the app when you return.
By turning off everything in my OP, I lost 1% total over 5 days not 1-2% per day.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe and psquare
We left our MYLR in a friend's garage from August until November where we couldn't plug it in, we were traveling on a train trip across the country.

It started at 75% (based on driving to get there)

Checked in on it pretty much weekly and saw very slow drain.

When we got back in November it was at 55%.

With everything I know now, I would have tried harder to have it plugged in somehow and wheels supported with tire blocks to prevent flat spots from forming.. but was impressed with little phantom drain and wouldn't be afraid to leave it for longer periods again.

The Tesla Model Y will enter sleep mode, conserve power, after a period if you park with Sentry Mode and Summon/Smart Summon (FSD features) turned off. That is all you need to do. Turning off the vehicle could shut down the LTE modem, this would make it difficult to wake up the vehicle. The BT would probably still be active so you could unlock the vehicle using the Key Card.

Last edited:
I've read the other posts about turning off Sentry and Cabin Overheat to preserve battery while parked at an airport. Why not simply 'Power Off'? Would that not turn off everything and have the car consume less energy? Or do those other services still run somehow, even with power off?
I would think it's impossible to lock the car from 'power off'. Never tried though.

Apart from that, it could be risky as (during normal sleep) the car would monitor e.g. battery temperature and 12V battery charge level and ensures those stay within normal margins.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I left my MY long range at the airport from Tuesday to the next Tuesday, turned off Sentry Mode, Summon, Cabin Overheat. When I left it was at 86% got back the following Tuesday was at 86%. Did not check in on ir with the app at all while away.
Was your MYP parked in a parking garage? Cabin Overheat Protection only remains active for 12 hours after you park. I always limit my use of the Tesla phone app whenever possible, whenever I am away on a trip, as every time you open the Tesla app this will wake up the Tesla vehicle and use some additional power.

Turning off Sentry Mode and Summon definitely reduced the power drain. I don't think you needed to disable the alarm system or remove the USB drive. In the warmer months know that if you have Cabin Overheat Protection turned on this will only remain active for 12 hours after you park the Tesla. You can set Cabin Overheat Protection to only run the fan and not use the AC. To reset the 12 hour clock you would need to remotely unlock, then lock the Tesla vehicle.

Just to reiterate... Cabin Overheat protection isn't for the car, it's for someone left in the car... by accident. The battery will take care of itself. I've noticed through TeslaFi that the car wakes up several times during the day at work especially during this hotspell we are having here, and the car isn't under shade, Cabin Over heat is not even on, the internal temp shows it dropped but the main reason is it's trying to keep the battery at a safe temperature.

Now losing 1 percent is fantastic and a great test! I wouldn't remove the USB disk in case I wanted to remotely turn on the Sentry just in case.

Tesla does not elaborate on why or when you might want to use Cabin Overheat Protection however 105F (40C), the temperature that activates the AC if Cabin Overheat Protection is set to On with AC, is not a safe temperature for people or pets for a prolonged period.

Cabin Overheat Protection

The climate control system can reduce the temperature of the cabin in extremely hot ambient conditions for a period of up to twelve hours after you exit Model Y. Settings:

• ON: The air conditioning operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 105° F (40° C).

• NO A/C: Only the fan operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 105° F (40° C). This option consumes less energy but the cabin temperature may exceed 105° F (40° C)

• OFF: Disable Cabin Overheat Protection.

NOTE: Cabin Overheat Protection operates only when the energy remaining in the Battery is above 20

Yes it was in covered parking garage.
At home, when parked in my garage, when the temperature is above 90F my Model Y sometimes wakes up during the day. I believe that the Model Y will circulate coolant through the battery pack and the radiator, run the radiator fan and even the AC compressor as needed to cool the battery. This uses some power but not as much power as Cabin Overheat Protection can use if the Tesla Model Y is parked in the sun.

Learned my lesson about turning off sentry mode. Parked at the airport garage and 2 days later charge was down 80 miles. Given the traffic in the garage, sentry mode must have been activating all the time. Remotely turned it off, and almost no drain the remaining 3 days.

With the 110+ temperatures here in Phoenix, my car's compressor goes on and off all afternoon parked in my garage. And only after I've taken a drive and returned. Cabin overheat is off. I'm guessing the battery cooling is kicking in.

I’m in Phoenix and just got back from an Alaska trip for 5 days. Got to covered parking at 89% but I left on sentry mode and parked further away from activity. Came back to 53% SOC and a dead 12v battery. The temps all week were actually only around 100, too.

Did the same thing in April for 5 days and had no issues. My 12v is right at almost 2yrs and Phoenix is rough on batteries so maybe it was just horrible luck. Worst part is waiting 6 hours for a towing company only for them to cancel on us. Waiting for mobile repair now to hopefully swap the 12v.

I have a huge distrust in airport parking an electric with no chargers available now though.