Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP - Parked at airport 5 days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What makes the 12V battery go dead if you still have plenty of SOC in the main battery pack?

FYI my car stored in CA now (will return in another week, curious to see if my 12V wil be dead; have battery charger):

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 5.40.43 PM.png

The 12V battery can fail, i.e. have at least 1 bad cell out of the 6 cells that make up a 12V battery. Assuming a fully charged 12V battery measures 12.6V (they actually vary a bit depending on the type of 12V battery) and you have a dead cell that is 12.6V less 2.1V = 10.5V. Anytime the voltage of a 12V battery measures under 11.5V it is pretty much dead.

12V batteries fail due to physical damage, age, load, temperature and excessive vibration. Tesla vehicles seem to use up 12V batteries every 2 years. The biggest factor in most cases is the electrical load applied to the battery. Of course Arizona summer heat is famous for shortening the life of 12V starter batteries in ICE vehicles too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Just returned from 10 days parked in the PHX long term garage. Charge was down only 3 miles. This is with sentry mode turned off.

I did have an experience earlier this year with sentry mode on and it dropped about 20% in 3 days. So it appears there should be no concerns as long as you turn sentry off even in the heat.

I've read the other posts about turning off Sentry and Cabin Overheat to preserve battery while parked at an airport. Why not simply 'Power Off'? Would that not turn off everything and have the car consume less energy? Or do those other services still run somehow, even with power off?

I don't know how you keep it in power off state. I was stuck behind a rock slide once and wanted to turn off the screen so I could sleep. Every time I moved in the seat it powered back up! So just getting out of the car would exit power off state. I guess you could set the mode with a stick if the door closing doesn't triigger it.

You don't really need to turn off any of those that you did for only 5 day parking. if you charge the car to almost 100%, it will take about 1-2 months to loose all the charge. Winter temperature will decrease the charge faster though.
Summon standby and sentry mode are capable of hitting the battery hard over five days.

The other ones he shut off, he should have left on.