Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP production vs MYLR production discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so I thought I would start this thread so that maybe someone “in the know” could clarify what is going on with tesla Y production currently (July 2022) and what are the supply chain issues.

If you read delivery threads, something very strange is going on. Everyone with a MYLR with an original EDD of July-Sept continues to get bumped till late October/November at the earliest. While this has been happening everyone who ordered a MYP on the other hand are getting notices of cars coming in as much as a month earlier than expected.

my guess (and this is only my guess) is that the basic production line is ramped up but there are not enough parts for the motors or something that is specific for the MYLR. As a result, I am guessing they are using the assembly Lines that were originally for the MYLR and using them to assemble the MYPs while they have the parts.

can anyone confirm wether something like this is happening or not? And if so, what is the component that is causing all this delay? Is it the 4680 pack? Motors? Control boards?

if this can be answered, it would be very educational for those frustrated with their EDDs continually getting pushed back.

BTW, I ended up switching to the MYP hoping to get an earlier delivery. 3 months might make a little difference in my trade to make up for the extra cost.

I cannot comment on production but based on your post I am a an outlier. I have a MYP order from May 1. Edd has been July 14-Aug 11. Until today my date slipped 2 months to now Sept 12- Oct 24th. I am not sure there is anything new going on other than It’s Tesla being Tesla. You would think with my new EDD I am in a long range.

Edit: I do understand that it is very possible this large slip on EDD is temporary, but then again I think there is too much emphasis put on MYP vs LR. LR production appears to be ramping up from best I can tell.

I cannot comment on production but based on your post I am a an outlier. I have a MYP order from May 1. Edd has been July 14-Aug 11. Until today my date slipped 2 months to now Sept 12- Oct 24th. I am not sure there is anything new going on other than It’s Tesla being Tesla. You would think with my new EDD I am in a long range
That’s BS, they are quoting on their website August-October for those ordering today.

Yep! Insane. I called the SA and said exactly that, I am going to place another order today for my wife. I have made no changes. He said it’s a bell curve for orders, sometimes you end up on either side of that curve. I think it’s possible my dates move back again and I guess my point of the message was that when the LR EDD dates move forward like they do, I would still be optimistic, my interpretation from what I have read or seen is that Texas is starting to ramp up, maybe that helps? The MYP is a better choice anyways Chomlee lol. You made a good decision.

The reason Tesla is prioritizing MYP deliveries over LR is because they're making more profit off MYP. They'd rather deliver the cars that make the most money first.
Not sure I agree with that. When I changed my order to MYP, the difference was 5k. The reason for that is because based on when I ordered my original MYLR (feb 28), that was the price difference. Now the difference is only 4k. Tesla makes a lot more profit off of a base LR model with Red paint and 20” wheels then they would a base MYP with white paint. a lot of reviewers were saying if you wanted the 20” wheels because you want a ”sporty” looking car, you might as well just get the performance model. Of course I don’t know the cost of the parts so its just my speculation.

having said that, it will be interesting in the next year or so when supply chain issues get relieved (and possibly too much supply of some components, if we would Ever see a price reduction of any cars (not just Tesla). Time will tell.

Not sure I agree with that. When I changed my order to MYP, the difference was 5k. The reason for that is because based on when I ordered my original MYLR, that was the price difference. Now the difference is only 4k. Tesla makes a lot more profit off of a base LR model with Red paint and 20” wheels then they would a base MYP with white paint. a lot of reviewers were saying if you wanted the 20” wheels because you want a ”sporty” looking car, you might as well just get the performance model. Of course I don’t know the cost of the parts so its just my speculation.

having said that, it will be interesting in the next year or so when supply chain issues get relieved (and possibly too much supply of some components, if we would Ever see a price reduction of any cars (not just Tesla). Time will tell.
I have never believed it was because of Margins. It’s simple demand, I think there are lot more people buying the long ranges that are not on these forums trying to game the system by upgrading to performance. There is just an huge amount of LR orders.