Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP PUP uber turbines to 19” TSV with DWS06+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks MYNeat. It will be nice to have your data to compare to mine. Are you logging data via teslafi? Also would you mind putting one of your TSV/dws wheels on a scale? I’m going to weigh mine next week to make sure they’re not made out of lead…

Current efficiency after more miles on the TSV/DWS.

View attachment 710373
View attachment 710374
So clearly not based on much data but on a 23 mile loop of mixed highway and local roads, I saw a 8% increase in consumption according to my car’s standard on-screen trip recorder (272 v 252 Wh/mi). I posted additional impressions below. I plan to run this 23mi loop periodically to collect more data. I ran the same loop yesterday with a model YLR with geminis, which recoded 243 Wh/mi. (Unfortunately I don’t intend to run the Ubers again - if at all - until spring.)

Looks pretty good! Thanks for the photo & review. I get mine on Tuesday so
will post my progress sometime after that. I don't like the white center cap so I’m going to replace with some all black ones. The efficiency loss is annoying. I would have expected the opposite actually. Keep us posted on what you’re seeing?
Seems like tires make much more difference than wheel size/weight, especially when cruising on the highway.

The wheels look good. Thanks for the update

View attachment 711521
Installed 19” TSV satin gray, conti extreme contact DWS06+ today.
Initial impressions:
1. I highly doubt the uber lug nuts were torqued properly. Was way too easy to loosen.
2. Appearance: While clearly not as aggressive as the ubers, the looks of which I really like, these are pretty nice too. The 19” TSVs do not appear swallowed up by the wheel well or too small for the MY, as I had feared. I believe most would not even notice if I didn’t mention it.
3. The aftermarket Tesla logo center caps (mentioned above) match and fit well. Although, right out of the box, they needed some touch up paint along outer edges. Tsportline TSV touchup paint matched perfectly.
4. Comfort: On a relatively short test run (which I ran yesterday on ubers) of a mix of local roads and highway, my initial impressions are these are at least marginally more comfortable, especially over potholes or similar sized road imperfections, including entering a slightly raised driveway apron from road. Highway comfort felt similar; possibly a bit more rebound over uneven surfaces and marginally softer. Could easily just be in my head. My guess is that a more-spirited drive may reveal some degradation in handling/steering capabilities.
5. Noise: Hard to tell if there was any change here. On an iPhone app I downloaded, the 2 runs matched an average sound level of 66dB. These aren’t T0 tires so I was concerned these would be louder. Any increase in tire noise if any isn’t obvious — at least not on the first run. This said, tire noise dampening technology is likely not a matter of reducing maximum or avg sound levels in the car as it is improving the quality of sound. Nothing obvious yet to note here. Although I may have heard a little more thumping /drone on the highway stretch. Again, could be in my head.
6. Efficiency. This was not a controlled study and the drive was only 23 miles. But I did register a 10% loss in efficiency: 252 vs 272 Wh/mi. I intend to keep an eye on this. I would have been surprised by this result but for what I have read from others on this forum.
What is your tire size?

Put on my 19 TSV's today. Here are some pic's of the before and after...

The before - 21" Tesla Uber's

IMG_9460.jpeg

Front - 19 inch T-Sportline TSV (Satin Black) / Back - 21 Inch Uberturbine

IMG_9461.jpeg

Zoomed in view of the T-sport 19" TSV's
IMG_9463.jpeg

IMG_9458.jpeg

It got a bit dark after installing the rear so I'll take a picture of both of them tomorrow and update this post. I went for a drive to compare the two and I can't say I feel much of a difference in general. The big road bumps definitely feel more "padded" now though. I also got about 6 miles added to my charge capacity after changing to the 19 inch "Gemini" wheel settings. I think they look alright, the 20's might have looked better but I'm in Chicago so the roads suck and the winter's are brutal so these are probably the better choice.

Last edited:
Put on my 19 TSV's today. Here are some pic's of the before and after...

The before - 21" Tesla Uber's

View attachment 712994

Front - 19 inch T-Sportline TSV (Satin Black) / Back - 21 Inch Uberturbine

View attachment 712987

Zoomed in view of the T-sport 19" TSV's
View attachment 712997

View attachment 712998
It got a bit dark after installing the rear so I'll take a picture of both of them tomorrow and update this post. I went for a drive to compare the two and I can't say I feel much of a difference in general. The big road bumps definitely feel more "padded" now though. I also got about 6 miles added to my charge capacity after changing to the 19 inch "Gemini" wheel settings. I think they look alright, the 20's might have looked better but I'm in Chicago so the roads suck and the winter's are brutal so these are probably the better choice.
Looks great. A friend’s reaction was that the 19” wheels and taller sidewalls look “more natural”. To each their own.

Fully agree on comfort: A more-padded firm sport suspension. The more I drive with these 19”TSVs, the clearer this becomes.

Just to clear things up - wheels themselves have a very small impact on range. Given the 19's and 21's have a similar design from an aerodynamic standpoint, I wouldn't expect to see any measurable difference.

In stark contrast, TIRES make a massive difference in range. The Continental's refered to in this thread are not an efficient tire. Tire choice is critical here if your concern is range.

There’s almost ~100lb difference between the TSspoortline wheels and the ÜTs. That definitely comes into play as well
As far as range is concerned? No, not really, almost not at all. More weight = more momentum. Once you are moving it makes no difference.

Also not even close to 100lbs. T Sportline wheels are heavy, 31.5lbs each. More like ~40lbs when factoring in tire weight.

Reactions: MYNeat
This thread is about the 8.5” wheel, either way. You’re wrong. Do some research on EV range and weight.
Wow. It's almost like I haven't spent the last six years of my life working in engineering with electric vehicles.

How about we look at the facts, which you clearly like to ignore.

First of all, the Model Y 21" Uberturbine front wheel and tire assembly is 66.6lbs each. The rear is 70.8lbs each. I literally weighed mine (brand-new) two weeks ago, so I am confident in these weights.

The 19x8.5" TSV is 29.55lbs. The 255/45/19R Continental DWS06 is 27lbs per Tire Rack. Add in the weight of the TPMS Sensor and the average wheel weights (1lb) and your total assembly is roughly 57.55lbs. So, you are saving 9.05lbs per front assembly and 13.25lbs per rear assembly. For a net total savings of 44.6lbs. Which is, again, nowhere near the "100lbs" you claimed.

Reducing rotational weight can help with improving acceleration, all else being equal. However, it has nearly no impact on range. This is because, once moving, the amount of energy required to keep the lower rotational weight rotating is offset by the increase in momentum/inertia. Therefore, unless you are planning to accelerate and decelerate rapidly and continuously while driving, which would be in contrast to the way 99% of people drive, it makes no real-world difference.

Additionally, while it may take slightly less energy to get the vehicle up to speed, it also results in less energy being recaptured during regenerative braking, and more friction losses from the conventional braking system.

Do you really think that Tesla would have overlooked wheel weight if it made a difference? There's a reason why they focus on the aerodynamic profile on the wheel, while basically completely ignoring the weight of the wheel. Tesla's wheels are very heavy. If they could increase range by 5% by putting on a wheel that is 20% lighter of course they would have already done that a long time ago. They're not dumb.

Of course, any company selling aftermarket Tesla wheels is going to tell you that it makes a big difference in range, they're literally incentivized to sell you wheels, that's their business.

In conclusion, you might in ideal circumstances notice a 1% improvement in range with these lighter wheels. Because, at the end of the day, you are saving almost precisely 1% of the overall weight of the vehicle. I will stress, again, that tire selection is far and away the most important factor in determining range when it comes to wheel and tire selection. To be clear, I am not saying that the weight makes NO difference, but it is very close to nothing, and would not impact real-world usability in any way.

The 18" Michelin MXM4 on the Model 3 was an incredibly efficient tire, though fairly poor in every other measurable regard.

Here is a decent article on the subject: Wheel Weight – Does it Matter? – All EV Info

@Knightshade - feel free to add your input.

Finally was able to get a photo with both 19 inch Satin Black TSV's on the car. I quite like them! Hope this helps someone with their decision. View attachment 713905
View attachment 713906
I ordered the TSSs instead of TSVs but went with the satin 19s too. My car isn’t white, it will MSM (when it comes). But how do you like the satin in person? From the pics it’s the look I’m going for.

View attachment 711521
Installed 19” TSV satin gray, conti extreme contact DWS06+ today.
Initial impressions:
1. I highly doubt the uber lug nuts were torqued properly. Was way too easy to loosen.
2. Appearance: While clearly not as aggressive as the ubers, the looks of which I really like, these are pretty nice too. The 19” TSVs do not appear swallowed up by the wheel well or too small for the MY, as I had feared. I believe most would not even notice if I didn’t mention it.
3. The aftermarket Tesla logo center caps (mentioned above) match and fit well. Although, right out of the box, they needed some touch up paint along outer edges. Tsportline TSV touchup paint matched perfectly.
4. Comfort: On a relatively short test run (which I ran yesterday on ubers) of a mix of local roads and highway, my initial impressions are these are at least marginally more comfortable, especially over potholes or similar sized road imperfections, including entering a slightly raised driveway apron from road. Highway comfort felt similar; possibly a bit more rebound over uneven surfaces and marginally softer. Could easily just be in my head. My guess is that a more-spirited drive may reveal some degradation in handling/steering capabilities.
5. Noise: Hard to tell if there was any change here. On an iPhone app I downloaded, the 2 runs matched an average sound level of 66dB. These aren’t T0 tires so I was concerned these would be louder. Any increase in tire noise if any isn’t obvious — at least not on the first run. This said, tire noise dampening technology is likely not a matter of reducing maximum or avg sound levels in the car as it is improving the quality of sound. Nothing obvious yet to note here. Although I may have heard a little more thumping /drone on the highway stretch. Again, could be in my head.
6. Efficiency. This was not a controlled study and the drive was only 23 miles. But I did register a 10% loss in efficiency: 252 vs 272 Wh/mi. I intend to keep an eye on this. I would have been surprised by this result but for what I have read from others on this forum.
Updated impressions (relative to ubers):

Comfort: Clearly less jarring over road imperfections. It’s now a nicely padded sport suspension. No longer need to creep over railroad tracks or similar road imperfections. Although still careful, I am no longer paranoid about potholes.

Efficiency: Unscientifically, this set up appears to exhibit pretty comparable efficiency to Ubers. Maybe the weight savings counterbalances increased rolling resistance.

Noise: Still do not notice any obvious difference with these non-T0 tires.

Seriously considering keeping these on year-round.

Updated impressions (relative to ubers):

Comfort: Clearly less jarring over road imperfections. It’s now a nicely padded sport suspension. No longer need to creep over railroad tracks or similar road imperfections. Although still careful, I am no longer paranoid about potholes.

Efficiency: Unscientifically, this set up appears to exhibit pretty comparable efficiency to Ubers. Maybe the weight savings counterbalances increased rolling resistance.

Noise: Still do not notice any obvious difference with these non-T0 tires.

Seriously considering keeping these on year-round.
I have a very similar opinion. The bumps on the 19’s are much better then the 21’s. I haven’t noticed much of a range difference either. I’m going to sell the Ubers, I think. Don’t think there is a need to switch back.

Reactions: MYNeat
First of all, the Model Y 21" Uberturbine front wheel and tire assembly is 66.6lbs each. The rear is 70.8lbs each. I literally weighed mine (brand-new) two weeks ago, so I am confident in these weights.

The 19x8.5" TSV is 29.55lbs. The 255/45/19R Continental DWS06 is 27lbs per Tire Rack. Add in the weight of the TPMS Sensor and the average wheel weights (1lb) and your total assembly is roughly 57.55lbs. So, you are saving 9.05lbs per front assembly and 13.25lbs per rear assembly.

You would think with the 19x8.5 TSV wheels and 19" tires, it should weigh quite a bit less than 21x9.5" TS5 wheel & 21" tire. Maybe it's because there's less material used on the TS5 wheels face compared to the TSV wheels, but my 21x9.5 TS5 with 265/35-21 Toyo Proxes Sport A/S tire & TPMS sensor weighed 57.0 lbs

For scale comparison/accuracy, my brand new Uberturbines (18 miles on the car when I removed them) weighed exactly 66.5 lbs and 70.5 lbs on the same scale.