Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took the Ubers off, and sold them for 3k on FB Marketplace. Went with some 20" Inovit's from CARID. They are meant to be lightweight, and for SUV's.

Personally, they stand out from the masses of Tesla's on the roads and the ride is much better, and tires arent an arm and a leg.

IMG_0044.jpeg

Last edited:
Question for all you Tesla MY owners: I've read a fair amount of posts with people buying the MYP with 21", then spending more money switching those out for 19" or 20". I'm curious why? (not rhetorical question). I'm looking into the Performance now and absolutely love the look of the Ubers as well as the other upgrades (red calipers, spoiler, better brakes, etc.). To me, the $5K is worth the premium (vs when it was $10K last year)....

Is it really just to get better range/efficiency? I can't imagine it's because of the acceleration with the Performance because you can just buy the AB with the LR for $2K more. Or does it have to do with the current wait time for the LR?

Appreciate your feedback.
For me, primary reason was I could get the car more quickly (3month wait) rather than a MYLR (eta 8 month wait). There was also the prestige of having a rarer model y build. Although I live in Los Angeles where there are tons of EV cars of every brand on the road, I don’t see performance specs as much on city streets. Perhaps 6 sightings a day compared to 30 MYLR sightings a day.

Question for all you Tesla MY owners: I've read a fair amount of posts with people buying the MYP with 21", then spending more money switching those out for 19" or 20". I'm curious why? (not rhetorical question). I'm looking into the Performance now and absolutely love the look of the Ubers as well as the other upgrades (red calipers, spoiler, better brakes, etc.). To me, the $5K is worth the premium (vs when it was $10K last year)....

Is it really just to get better range/efficiency? I can't imagine it's because of the acceleration with the Performance because you can just buy the AB with the LR for $2K more. Or does it have to do with the current wait time for the LR?

I will answer why we are doing it. We have a MYP incoming. We ordered new wheels and tires.

1. Main reason is this will be the wife's DD so having a "square" set up allows us to rotate the tires and get A LOT more miles out of one set.
2. We will be getting the same tires Michelin Sport 4S All seasons so that is not a big difference.
3. Secondary reasons for doing this are; A) the ride will be a little nicer on 20", B) we do not care for the looks of the Uberturbines, C) we will save some weight at each corner and unsprung weight savings MAY get us a mile or two more. D) I also do not like the "tire stretch" look of the stock set up.
4. Lastly we paid $3K for a brand new set. We should be able to sell the stock set up for at worst $500 less than that so the delta is really $500 for new wheels and tires.

For all those reasons that is why we are doing it. Everyone likes pics so these are the wheels we are getting; Forgestar CFV5 in Anthracite.
wheel.jpg

Reactions: JaeTheDev

Range, ride harshness, winter weather, rim protection, ability to rotate tire set for improved wear, and strait line acceleration advantage. I have Gemini's on my MYP for winter on all season (cold weather but not much snow) and in the spring I will be getting some 18's with summer only tires.

Keith