Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for all you Tesla MY owners: I've read a fair amount of posts with people buying the MYP with 21", then spending more money switching those out for 19" or 20". I'm curious why? (not rhetorical question). I'm looking into the Performance now and absolutely love the look of the Ubers as well as the other upgrades (red calipers, spoiler, better brakes, etc.). To me, the $5K is worth the premium (vs when it was $10K last year)....

Is it really just to get better range/efficiency? I can't imagine it's because of the acceleration with the Performance because you can just buy the AB with the LR for $2K more. Or does it have to do with the current wait time for the LR?

Appreciate your feedback.

Price the Long Range Model Y with the optional 20" Induction wheels ($2000 additional) and also add the cost of the optional acceleration boost (AB) upgrade that you can choose to purchase for $2000 only after delivery of a Long Range Model Y (also Long Range Model 3). The final cost is almost as much as the price of the Performance Model Y that features more power, faster acceleration, staggered wheels with all-season tires, performance brakes and suspension, spoiler,aluminum foot pedal covers and the projector beam LED headlights.

Because everyone pleases do what they want lol
I personally love the look of the 21s. My “daily” is a BMW M4 with KW coil overs and 20” HREs and it’s a little stiff 😂.
So I’m used to the harshness
19C92F99-EDD2-4793-85E1-B797F16B5E2F.jpeg

Thx for your feedbacks. I agree on those reasons, but why not just get the LR with the appropriate wheels/tires in place and spend less money? Is it really the long wait time?

Have the recently released Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 eliminated some of the concerns about tires?
Absolutely.. I was planning to swap my 21s for 20s and all-season tires until Tesla starting equipping MYP's with Michelin All Seasons - which my car arrived with. After that was solved, I quit looking. The ride is no more harsh or firm than a BMW with sport pkg imo; maybe a tad softer tbh.

I switched from 21's to 19's and saw the following differences:

- 20-30 miles of range added
- faster acceleration (went from 3.8s to 3.5s 0-60 using Dragy)
- quieter, more comfortable ride
- much cheaper tire maintenance (more selection, cheaper overall, and ability to rotate)
- more unique (aftermarket wheels make the car stand out as more and more MYPs are on the road)

PXL_20211129_232213760.jpg

Is it really just to get better range/efficiency? I can't imagine it's because of the acceleration with the Performance because you can just buy the AB with the LR for $2K more. Or does it have to do with the current wait time for the LR?

The stock 21" wheels are extremely heavy and noticeably affect range and speed. I personally saw a 5-10% increase in range and close to a half second increase in acceleration just going down to 19"s. Many guys who track their Y's go down to 18's for maximum performance. The main reasons to keep the 21"s are aesthetics and less sidewall flex during cornering.

Last edited:

- much cheaper tire maintenance (more selection, cheaper overall, and ability to rotate)
- more unique (aftermarket wheels make the car stand out as more and more MYPs are on the road)

View attachment 761407
Hi norazi, Curious what rims are those? T Sportline?

Price the Long Range Model Y with the optional 20" Induction wheels ($2000 additional) and also add the cost of the optional acceleration boost (AB) upgrade that you can choose to purchase for $2000 only after delivery of a Long Range Model Y (also Long Range Model 3). The final cost is almost as much as the price of the Performance Model Y that features more power, faster acceleration, staggered wheels with all-season tires, performance brakes and suspension, spoiler,aluminum foot pedal covers and the projector beam LED headlights.
I seen that today. I was able to do the Ghost upgrade and wanted to see how much I saved over the performance price. It was only $3.000 difference. It appears to be a no brainer to purchase the MYP over the MYLR.

Stock rims, especially the 21s are HEAVY. Lighter = faster/more efficient
Rim Protection IF you go with a thinner wheel(though smaller rims benefit either way)
More comfortable ride, smaller and or lighter rims help as would better tires and even more so a coilover kit.

If it was today and i wanted to spend 60k, vs the 50k i did last year, I would get the P, sell rims and tires, get light 20s(around1600 for a set), good tires, and coilover kit. Puts you closer to the 70k realm though, especially with the coilover kit and installs etc.

I couldnt just 10k more last year, So i went LR for 49,990, 1500 install rebate, 4500 cvrp rebate, 2k Accel boost, MPP coilovers delivered today :)

View attachment 761407

The stock 21" wheels are extremely heavy and noticeably affect range and speed. I personally saw a 5-10% increase in range and close to a half second increase in acceleration just going down to 19"s. Many guys who track their Y's go down to 18's for maximum performance. The main reasons to keep the 21"s are aesthetics and less sidewall flex during cornering.

Need some more pics of this from a few other angles if possible. I keep going back and forth between the TSS 19" or 20" wheels from them. I have the same color MYP on order.

I think the response on this is due to a couple things:

1) Up until very recently the MYP came with summer performance tires. Anyone living in a climate that dips below 45F needs to have a different set of tires for when its colder. Summer tires rubber compound becomes very hard in the colder temps. When that happens they are unsafe and prone to damage like chipping.

With the above said very recently Tesla started shipping MYP with all season tires so this is no longer an issue.

2) ride comfort is significantly improved with 19” wheels/tires

3) range should improve slightly

4) 21s are easier to curb and damage on poorly maintained roads.

5) and some prefer the “sleeper” look

6) Last but not least the tires were staggered (at least before they started installing the AS) so they couldn’t be rotated. Also, the 21” tires are more expensive.

There may be other reasons but the primary reasons i see the most are the summer tires and ride comfort.

I think the response on this is due to a couple things:

1) Up until very recently the MYP came with summer performance tires. Anyone living in a climate that dips below 45F needs to have a different set of tires for when its colder. Summer tires rubber compound becomes very hard in the colder temps. When that happens they are unsafe and prone to damage like chipping.

With the above said very recently Tesla started shipping MYP with all season tires so this is no longer an issue.

2) ride comfort is significantly improved with 19” wheels/tires

3) range should improve slightly

4) 21s are easier to curb and damage on poorly maintained roads.

5) and some prefer the “sleeper” look

6) Last but not least the tires were staggered (at least before they started installing the AS) so they couldn’t be rotated. Also, the 21” tires are more expensive.

There may be other reasons but the primary reasons i see the most are the summer tires and ride comfort.
The 21" wheels are much heavier; you take a big hit in efficicency over the lighter 20" and 19" wheels.