Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Range question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question about what sort of range MYP owners have where they are comfortable going w/out a charge. I know it all varies based on driving/temp etc. but about what milage do you typically expect to be able to go w/out having to worry?

Only put about 1000 miles and it was during the month of February. I’ve never gotten the charge below 40% so not sure what to expect. I charge to 80% which puts the range at 241 miles. Based on my driving where I don’t try to conform to what is more efficient (I drive the speeds I want to drive, I use the HVAC to the full extent, I floor it here and there), and a round trip work commute of 60 miles, the MYP says I’ve used up the equivalent of 70-75 miles of range. So again, for my commute of 60 miles I don’t worry about it at all. That said, during the summer I do drive on the weekends to a beach that is about 75 miles away and my assumption is between the trip, some local driving, traffic, sentry mode on, and I’m not sure if I have the confidence on an 80% charge, maybe not even a 100% charge. TBD and there are local charging stations down there (but will be an extra trip for me perhaps on a coffee run or something).

In winter on a 90% charge I don't want to go more than 100 miles (200 mile round trip) from home in "good" winter weather, bad weather not more than 70 miles from home (140 mile round trip). In Summer I wouldn't go more than 120 miles from home (240 mile round trip) in good weather or more than 100 miles from home (200 mile round trip) in bad weather. This is all based on level ground, highway speeds (80ish mph) and not having to charge away from home. If you drive slower you get much better range than I do :)

Keith

In winter on a 90% charge I don't want to go more than 100 miles (200 mile round trip) from home in "good" winter weather, bad weather not more than 70 miles from home (140 mile round trip). In Summer I wouldn't go more than 120 miles from home (240 mile round trip) in good weather or more than 100 miles from home (200 mile round trip) in bad weather. This is all based on level ground, highway speeds (80ish mph) and not having to charge away from home. If you drive slower you get much better range than I do :)

Keith

Thats kinda what I was figuring. Thanks!
where do you live? (For ”good” winter weather)

IME, range loss is much more noticable once temps drop below 25 degrees.

Good winter weather would be temps staying above 25-30.

I don't worry about range anxiety due to all the DCFC coming online. This summer we're going to see an exponential increase in the number of DCFC (and L2 destination chargers). Had to use a supercharger once due to miscalculation with cold weather range loss, and we were in and out in no time at 1000mi/hr charge rate.

You will just want to charge it up to 85-90%, and heat the cabin up before leaving home

Thats kinda what I was figuring. Thanks!
where do you live? (For ”good” winter weather)
For my area of the country "good" winter weather is high 20's to low 30's temp with low wind and not snowing with clear roads. The "Bad" winter weather is similar temperatures, but high winds and snow, with snow accumulation on the roads. On average we get the "no snow" combined with high winds more often than not. We don't get the "bad" winter weather often, but I am far enough from "snow country" that when we do get it (once or twice a winter) the local road crews are not very good at removal without destroying the roads they are trying to clear. They can't seem to handle the transition from the road to a bridge and back to the road without digging the blade into the surface causing damage.

Keith

I am calculating a 75-77 mph trip of 95 miles each way with a/c set on 71°. It’s 98° Outside. Worked out to .444 X 95 miles = 42.18% range used. Does my math work out for anyone else? Trying to get a divisor for say …. 156 mile trip would be 69.26% of battery used for similar usage speeds and outside temps.