Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP square setup w/ 21s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting thread.

I just bought a set of takeoff Uberturbines, but the rear tires will need replacement soon. Is there any reason not to mount 265/35 or 275/35 on all four? Spec sheets that I’ve seen show that both sizes are safe on 9.5” and 10.5“ wheels. Do you lose something by having symmetrical rubber on staggered wheel widths?

Here's the setup I'm thinking of, curious to get everyone's feedback. Essentially I'm running factory tires but swapping out the rear wheels to match the square fronts.

Wheels: Square 21s uberturbine 9.5" set up all around (fronts)
Front tires: 255/35
Rear tires: 275/35 (on 9.5 wheel)

Do you think I might as well get 275s all around? i'm shopping new tires anyway. Am I taking any hits on range or handling with the wider front?

Here's the setup I'm thinking of, curious to get everyone's feedback. Essentially I'm running factory tires but swapping out the rear wheels to match the square fronts.

Wheels: Square 21s uberturbine 9.5" set up all around (fronts)
Front tires: 255/35
Rear tires: 275/35 (on 9.5 wheel)

Do you think I might as well get 275s all around? i'm shopping new tires anyway. Am I taking any hits on range or handling with the wider front?
Personally, if I had your suggested setup (21 x 9.5) on all four corners I would go with 275/35R21 all around.

Because I want the tire more flush with the outer rim lip, 255 vs 275 provides a slightly taller tire, overall more meaty. You will have more road noise, more flying debris kicked up by the tires (make sure you have front mud flaps), possible increased inner tire wear, slightly slower turn-in, and less understeer (front matches back vs staggered), but more grip.

Later I might go square setup, but for now I'm going with 275/35R21 on the 9.5" front and 295/35R21 on the 10.5" rear. I have the new tires already, getting them mounted soon.

Last edited:
Personally, if I had your suggested setup (21 x 9.5) on all four corners I would go with 275/35R21 all around.

Because I want the tire more flush with the outer rim lip, 255 vs 275 provides a slightly taller tire, overall more meaty. You will have more road noise, more flying debris kicked up by the tires (make sure you have front mud flaps), possible increased inner tire wear, slightly slower turn-in, and less understeer (front matches back vs staggered), but more grip.

Later I might go square setup, but for now I'm going with 275/35R21 on the 9.5" front and 295/35R21 on the 10.5" rear. I have the new tires already, getting them mounted soon.

Makes sense. Seems like I can go 275s in front without any issues with a few added benefits.
Will the 275/35 on fronts handle the potholes better than the stock 255/35? I assume it should in theory with the extra side wall. If so, I'll go with 275s all around.

I've been hearing a lot of dented front wheels with our roads in the bay area so any improvements from stock with help.