Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP square setup w/ 21s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was curious if running 4 of the rears are the rear wheels more tucked than the fronts? Meaning are the rears less flush than the fronts? Thanks.
You don't want to run 4 rears. It screws you on tires as 275/35 on the 10.5 barely leaves any clearance on the front upper knuckle. You are then forced to run the stock rear 275/35 with are extremely stretched. It's much better to run the front 9.5 all around. That way you have room for spacers and can run a variety of tires up to 285. Ideal size on a 9.5 is 275 and ideal size on 10.5 is 295.

Any issues with load ratings running 9.5 all around with stock tires?

Their load ratings are about 500ish lbs less than a staggered.
It's a non-issue for a variety of reasons. LR and P are the same/similar weights. Then the load rating of the tires is determined by the size, and what size is one going to use with this setup? It doesn't matter, if you usedd the OE size of 255 or the rear size of 275, or better yet going even wider which would increase the load rating more. The staggered setup doesn't get its higher rear tire load rating from being staggered, but as result of the wider rear tire, bear with the chicken or egg for a sec. That may sound odd, but it's not because its staggered. And it is staggered with wider rear tires not for more load rating, but to increase understeer thus maintaining a larger margin of safety. Thus if you go squared with the wider tires, you obviously have raised your load rating all around so it's a non-issue. And most importantly from a drivers perspective going square will reduce understeer and bring the car closer to neutral.

Reactions: coffeesipper3
It's a non-issue for a variety of reasons. LR and P are the same/similar weights. Then the load rating of the tires is determined by the size, and what size is one going to use with this setup? It doesn't matter, if you usedd the OE size of 255 or the rear size of 275, or better yet going even wider which would increase the load rating more. The staggered setup doesn't get its higher rear tire load rating from being staggered, but as result of the wider rear tire, bear with the chicken or egg for a sec. That may sound odd, but it's not because its staggered. And it is staggered with wider rear tires not for more load rating, but to increase understeer thus maintaining a larger margin of safety. Thus if you go squared with the wider tires, you obviously have raised your load rating all around so it's a non-issue. And most importantly from a drivers perspective going square will reduce understeer and bring the car closer to neutral.
Thx for your inputs. So you are saying that the load rating is actually 4x the lowest load rating instead of the sum of them all.

I bought another set of urberturines so I'm probably going to keep staggered till I run out my rears then switch to 7.5 all around so that I can rotate + get better priced tires.

Thx for your inputs. So you are saying that the load rating is actually 4x the lowest load rating instead of the sum of them all.

I bought another set of urberturines so I'm probably going to keep staggered till I run out my rears then switch to 7.5 all around so that I can rotate + get better priced tires.
No not 4x but a sum total. This is why the MYP has a higher load rating but as I wrote above it doesn't matter as they are the same cars. The increased load rating is from the wider rear tire. And again it won't matter in a squared setup cuz you'd be running a tire size similar to the rear of 275 or wider.

If you bought a second set with tires, I'd swap the 9.5 fronts on and have the 275 rear tires mounted on the 9.5 on all fours. You could be using the 275s to the fullest now.

Reactions: Doublea88
No not 4x but a sum total. This is why the MYP has a higher load rating but as I wrote above it doesn't matter as they are the same cars. The increased load rating is from the wider rear tire. And again it won't matter in a squared setup cuz you'd be running a tire size similar to the rear of 275 or wider.

If you bought a second set with tires, I'd swap the 9.5 fronts on and have the 275 rear tires mounted on the 9.5 on all fours. You could be using the 275s to the fullest now.
Is there a reason why you are suggesting 275s with the 9.5? So there is more tires around the 9.5s

Another option is just to mount the 275 with 10.5 on so I don't have to go to the tire shop...but I kinda do do have to go there anyways since the new set of uberturbines don't have sensors.

Is there a reason why you are suggesting 275s with the 9.5? So there is more tires around the 9.5s

Another option is just to mount the 275 with 10.5 on so I don't have to go to the tire shop...but I kinda do do have to go there anyways since the new set of uberturbines don't have sensors.
Read my posts above. You do not want to use 10.5 rears all around, the offset puts the wheel too close to the upper front knuckles so the only wide tire that will fit are 275/35, ie the rear tires. And if you google it, the ideal tire width for a 9.5 in wide rim is 275mm. However a 275 on 10.5 is already very stretched so it's like two steps forward and one back cuz you haven't fixed the overly stretched stock setup. And you cannot go narrower on tires so you are stuck with 275/35 all stop.

Now if you went with the 9.5 fronts all around, 275s would be ideal as mentioned giving a vertical sidewall and proper curb protection. You could even go to 285s, 295s would be a stretch so dunno about that.

Reactions: coffeesipper3
Read my posts above. You do not want to use 10.5 rears all around, the offset puts the wheel too close to the upper front knuckles so the only wide tire that will fit are 275/35, ie the rear tires. And if you google it, the ideal tire width for a 9.5 in wide rim is 275mm. However a 275 on 10.5 is already very stretched so it's like two steps forward and one back cuz you haven't fixed the overly stretched stock setup. And you cannot go narrower on tires so you are stuck with 275/35 all stop.

Now if you went with the 9.5 fronts all around, 275s would be ideal as mentioned giving a vertical sidewall and proper curb protection. You could even go to 285s, 295s would be a stretch so dunno about that.
Merry Christmas!

10.5 with stocks are already not recommended so wider tires won't be able to accommodate 10.5's around.

Reactions: thesmokingman
Here is the snippet of the size size equivalency table from Tires and Co.
  • Equivalency table​

Rim widthMinimum tire widthIdeal tire widthMaximum tire width
    7.5 Inches205 mm215 or 225 mm235 mm
    8.0 Inches215 mm225 or 235 mm245 mm
    8.5 Inches225 mm235 or 245 mm255 mm
    9.0 Inches235 mm245 or 255 mm265 mm
    9.5 Inches245 mm255 or 265 mm275 mm
    10.0 Inches255 mm265 or 275 mm285 mm
    10.5 Inches265 mm275 or 285 mm295 mm
Would try to avoid the 2 lower end sizes of the tire width in general for the rim width.

Last edited:
@thesmokingman @coffeesipper3

10" wheel with 275 also all-around works as well if you look at this post from @greatauror28 . It still provides protection as the wheel. 9.5" if you want more protection, but will look less sporty than the 10".
I thought MYP wheel widths were 9.5 / 10.5.

Anyways I ended up doing 9.5 with 255s all around to use it up first. It was the most economical since I didn't need to unmount the 255s for 275 on the 9.5.

Attaching a pic for those who want to see 9.5s with 255 all around.

Attachments

• IMG_6771.JPG
    IMG_6771.JPG
    633.1 KB · Views: 149

Anyways I ended up doing 9.5 with 255s all around to use it up first. It was the most economical since I didn't need to unmount the 255s for 275 on the 9.5.

Also if in SD I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend JBA speed shop - they have a touchless shop and they were a lot cheaper than discount tire.

Yes, that is correct for MYP using 9.5" and 10.5" wheels. It would of been better if they used 9" and 10" instead.

My question would be what is effect on the speedometer for using 255 in the rear?

Nice. You can then in your off time have them 275s unmounted and ready for you're ready to swap them on. Also you can run a 5mm spacer in the rear, there's enough thread for up to 8mm spacer iirc. That will bring the rear wheel to be closer to stock spacing. You can also optionally run a bolt on spacer for more etc etc.

Nice. You can then in your off time have them 275s unmounted and ready for you're ready to swap them on. Also you can run a 5mm spacer in the rear, there's enough thread for up to 8mm spacer iirc. That will bring the rear wheel to be closer to stock spacing. You can also optionally run a bolt on spacer for more etc etc.
So far I am okay with the way it looks so probably won't be doing that soon - may be when I notice the difference.

You don't want to run 4 rears. It screws you on tires as 275/35 on the 10.5 barely leaves any clearance on the front upper knuckle. You are then forced to run the stock rear 275/35 with are extremely stretched. It's much better to run the front 9.5 all around. That way you have room for spacers and can run a variety of tires up to 285. Ideal size on a 9.5 is 275 and ideal size on 10.5 is 295.
Curious if you’ve actually saw issues running 10.5’s on the front w/ a 275?

Someone in this very thread posted that it was close, but they had no rubbing with the stock 275/10.5’s up front.

Curious if you’ve seen otherwise since I’m interested in this setup

Curious if you’ve actually saw issues running 10.5’s on the front w/ a 275?

Someone in this very thread posted that it was close, but they had no rubbing with the stock 275/10.5’s up front.

Curious if you’ve seen otherwise since I’m interested in this setup
Yes, others have run 275 on 10.5s. 275/35 stock size fits with tight turning clearance. 275/40 on 10.5 rubs no matter what. There is roughly 3.8% height difference between the two sizes. You may be able to run 285/35, though maybe not as it's going to be tight width wise as the offset puts the wheels inner edge closer to the knuckle.

Yes, others have run 275 on 10.5s. 275/35 stock size fits with tight turning clearance. 275/40 on 10.5 rubs no matter what. There is roughly 3.8% height difference between the two sizes. You may be able to run 285/35, though maybe not as it's going to be tight width wise as the offset puts the wheels inner edge closer to the knuckle.
I guess I am confused. So the rear stock 10.5 (ubertines) on MYP are 275/35, which are safe up front? Where does the 275/40 come from then? Thanks for the help