Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Subframe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s been a while since posting. We relocated from CA to WA over the summer. We took our March 2021 MYP on a road trip up here. This particular MYP had severe alignment issues at delivery. The steering wheel angle was off 5 degrees. It was at the Burlingame SC for two weeks trying to figure out the alignment. Th SC said it may require a new subframe. However, after escalating to the factory they figured out a way to do an election steering angle adjustment. After that service I would period hear popping, creaking and clunking from the front end when turning. I brought the vehicle back to the SC, but they could not replicate. Fast forward to November 8 I now have creaking all the time when turning. The SC in Bellevue said it was a bad weld on one of the subframe bolts. The MYP is still in service at the SC as of Nov 23 with no ETA. The issue is supposedly subframe delivery.

Is there anything I can do about this?

More history: we previously had two Model Xs. The first 2017 was also in service for over a month for what was originally phantom sensor readings. Then 6 months later had to be dragged out of the garage because it wouldnt turn on. The other Model X also had MCU replacements and complete door failures (where they wouldn’t even open).

I continue to get no update updates from Tesla Bellevue Service Center. I escalated to the manager and the current path forward is to order another subframe to see which one comes first.

I realized the lemon law would be doing Tesla a favor. My Model Y has PPF and all options include FSD. It was originally ordered back in November 2020 but delayed to March 2021 (for when I thought we’d return to the office.) There have been several price hikes for FSD and base price since then. Tesla could easily put my car back on the market with only 5000 miles. If I had to re-order at the current price then I‘d be at a loss. I just don’t see Tesla adjusting the sell price and crediting me for PPF.

You accepted delivery with the steering that messed up?
Not possible to test drive with COVID-19 procedure. The MYP was delivered to my address, parked on the street, and Tesla was gone before they notified me the car was there. The current policy at delivery centers is to sign the paper work and then Tesla will unlock. So exterior inspection only and whatever interior you can see through the windows.

Come to think of it, even the old factory deliveries in Fremont didn’t allow test drives. You just pulled right out of the warehouse. You did get a clean car and good lighting to visually inspect the car though.

Reactions: na5m
It’s been a while since posting. We relocated from CA to WA over the summer. We took our March 2021 MYP on a road trip up here. This particular MYP had severe alignment issues at delivery. The steering wheel angle was off 5 degrees. It was at the Burlingame SC for two weeks trying to figure out the alignment. Th SC said it may require a new subframe. However, after escalating to the factory they figured out a way to do an election steering angle adjustment. After that service I would period hear popping, creaking and clunking from the front end when turning. I brought the vehicle back to the SC, but they could not replicate. Fast forward to November 8 I now have creaking all the time when turning. The SC in Bellevue said it was a bad weld on one of the subframe bolts. The MYP is still in service at the SC as of Nov 23 with no ETA. The issue is supposedly subframe delivery.

Is there anything I can do about this?

More history: we previously had two Model Xs. The first 2017 was also in service for over a month for what was originally phantom sensor readings. Then 6 months later had to be dragged out of the garage because it wouldnt turn on. The other Model X also had MCU replacements and complete door failures (where they wouldn’t even open).

When did you report to Tesla that the steering wheel angle was off? Did you wait beyond the initial 100 miles period that Tesla requires for delivery issues?

Not possible to test drive with COVID-19 procedure. The MYP was delivered to my address, parked on the street, and Tesla was gone before they notified me the car was there. The current policy at delivery centers is to sign the paper work and then Tesla will unlock. So exterior inspection only and whatever interior you can see through the windows.

Come to think of it, even the old factory deliveries in Fremont didn’t allow test drives. You just pulled right out of the warehouse. You did get a clean car and good lighting to visually inspect the car though.
This has been true with Tesla since...forever. It's up to the consumer to report issues after driving away. This is identical to any other auto/truck manufacturer, except of course everyone BUT Tesla requires pymt in full prior to any driving of the vehicle.

When did you report to Tesla that the steering wheel angle was off? Did you wait beyond the initial 100 miles period that Tesla requires for delivery issues?
I reported the alignment and a chip with poor touch up within 100 miles through the app service. I left the chip / touch up alone since my PPF guy could fix that when the time came. I originally brought the car to Palo Alto Service Center for the alignment, which they only did an alignment and sent me on my way. I scheduled another service appointment with Burlingame since Palo Alto said everything was fine (although the steering wheel was five degrees off center, the car drove straight).

Reactions: Pianewman
Have you tried another SC? Are you/they absolutely certain there's an issue with the subframe? I don't understand how the steering wheel being off by 5 deg is any indication of a subframe issue.
Does the car track straight? In 5k miles, are the front tires evenly worn?

Have you tried another SC? Are you/they absolutely certain there's an issue with the subframe? I don't understand how the steering wheel being off by 5 deg is any indication of a subframe issue.
Does the car track straight? In 5k miles, are the front tires evenly worn?

Bellevue is the 3rd SC. The first SC in Palo Alto corrected the alignment to get the car tracking straight, but the steering wheel angle stayed 5 degrees off center. Burlingame acknowledged the steering wheel angle was a an issue and eventually corrected it with and electronic adjustment. However, Burlingame was the first SC to mention the subframe may need to be replaced although they didn’t. Bellevue acknowledged the clunking, popping and creaking noise that had progressively gotten worse to occurring over every speed bump or left turn. Bellevue‘s diagnosis was a bad weld on a mounting point on the subframe.

Honestly, I never checked the tires so there could be uneven wear.

The SC received the subframe today and was able to complete the repair. The service invoice noted the cause of the noise was the suspension bolts were not properly torqued because the welds on the subframe were misaligned.

What’s frustrating is the Burlingame back in June said the checked the torque for the suspension. Either they said they checked it and didn’t or it loosened over time. This could have been a dangerous situation given I was turned away Burlingame after I complained about popping noises.