Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Summer Tires & Chains/Autosock Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have experience using chains or autosocks on the MYP 21" summer tires?

I am planning on going to Yosemite in December and was wondering if i could get by using the 21" summer tires with Tesla sold chains &/or an autosock, assuming conditions aren't horrendous.

I know most people who live in cold climates have another set of winter tires that they use, but I live in Southern California where I could run on summer tires all year long, and it would not really make sense to spend $3K on another set of tires just for this trip.

Interesting question. As a Minnesotan that has lived in California and made the trek from the Bay Area to Tahoe numerous times I think the chains/autosock would be well worth having along. The summers alone will be a recipe for disaster if conditions are even slightly slick.

Fun story... when I first moved out to the Bay and was making my first trip to Tahoe, I had a Civic with all seasons. I got stopped near Truckee and told to put on chains (which I didn't have). I showed the officer my Minnesota license and he waved me on through. :p

Reactions: BitJam