Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Summer Tires & Chains/Autosock Question

Does anyone have experience using chains or autosocks on the MYP 21" summer tires?

I am planning on going to Yosemite in December and was wondering if i could get by using the 21" summer tires with Tesla sold chains &/or an autosock, assuming conditions aren't horrendous.

I know most people who live in cold climates have another set of winter tires that they use, but I live in Southern California where I could run on summer tires all year long, and it would not really make sense to spend $3K on another set of tires just for this trip.

Interesting question. As a Minnesotan that has lived in California and made the trek from the Bay Area to Tahoe numerous times I think the chains/autosock would be well worth having along. The summers alone will be a recipe for disaster if conditions are even slightly slick.

Fun story... when I first moved out to the Bay and was making my first trip to Tahoe, I had a Civic with all seasons. I got stopped near Truckee and told to put on chains (which I didn't have). I showed the officer my Minnesota license and he waved me on through. :p

Reactions: BitJam

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC