Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP tire replacement options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings!! Just ordered my MYP to replace my M3 (wife still has her M3, so we’re diversified now). I have searched and read and read, but still cannot understand what the options are to replace the tires with some that will work better across all 4 seasons.

Is it possible to do a square tire setup with the Über rims? Or do the rims themselves preclude that? If the latter, what other tires would be okay to go with on the Über rims that would proved more all-season-type performance?

Thanks for patience with these questions and for any info all y’all can share!!

The OE tires on the Performance Model Y are made of summer performance rubber compounds, should not be driven in temperatures below 40F.

If you have not done so check out TireRack.com. Search for tires for the 2021 Performance Model Y. TireRack will have the specs on all of the latest tire offerings for the PMY.

Many Model Y owners, both Performance Model Y and Long Range Model Y, purchase a second set of wheels and tires for winter. It is more convenient to swap wheels than to have to pay to have tires mounted twice a year. Many prefer to go with smaller wheel in winter (so an aftermarket 18", 19" or 20" wheel instead of 21" Uberturbine wheel.) This is a benefit in winter when having an extra half inch or inch of tire sidewall can make a difference when driving over a pothole.

Jcanoe, thank you very much for all of this information. I do have an additional question which may be dumb. However, the only dumb question really is the one not asked, so here goes.
Using the 21” Über rims that come with the MYP, do I still have to get the same two different tire sizes as OE? Or will the 21” rims accommodate other 21” tires, for example 255/35R21 front and rear? Thanks once again. This stuff is definitely not in my wheelhouse if you’ll pardon the pun.

Jcanoe, thank you very much for all of this information. I do have an additional question which may be dumb. However, the only dumb question really is the one not asked, so here goes.
Using the 21” Über rims that come with the MYP, do I still have to get the same two different tire sizes as OE? Or will the 21” rims accommodate other 21” tires, for example 255/35R21 front and rear? Thanks once again. This stuff is definitely not in my wheelhouse if you’ll pardon the pun.
Model Y owners have located, installed four 21" Uberturbine wheels of the same size however these need to be the rear 21" wheels and tires. The load index rating of the 21" front wheels and tires is too low to be used in the rear. The rear wheels and tires can be used front and rear.

TSportline sells aftermarket wheels for Tesla vehicles. TSportline has a wheel and tire guide for the Tesla Model Y with all of the specs:

The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide

Personally, my favorite tires to run for all 4 seasons, is the Continental DWS-06. I have them on all my cars.. Been using some iteration of them for the last 10 years, and have had zero problems with them, even in occasional deep snow (I live on a hill). I've also run every iteration of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S... Those I think have slightly better dry performance than the DWS, equal wet performance, but orders of magnitude worse in the snow than the DWS.

Reactions: TwelveVoltMan
Apologies, one additional question…. I came across a company called Tsportline. Is this a reputable company with decent products? Thanks!! I really appreciate the wisdom on this amazing forum.
Yes, many of us here including myself run a set of wheels from TSportline without any issues. They often have sales around the major holiday seasons so you can pickup a set of winter wheels for a decent price.

One other option is to purchase a set of 19"/20" OEM wheels privately if you wish to run a OEM setup. Price wise should be about the same, potentially cheaper if you can find a good deal.