Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP tires recommendations for bad snow region

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m wondering what people switched to for tires who live in cold, pot-hole filled regions. I live in Massachusetts and we get pumped with snow and roads aren’t taken care of well where I live so it’s often slippery and filled with potholes. I am tire illiterate but have read that the 21” Überturbine wheels are not ideal for my region. I’m guessing the size should be smaller but looking for more specific recommendations to include rims and links if possible. Thanks in advance!

Search the forum for "Performance Model Y replacement tires" or "Performance Model Y winter tires".

For winter driving when you don't object to swapping the OE summer or all-season tires for winter tires or tires that carry the snow flake and mountain symbol many prefer going to a smaller diameter wheel. The 19" Gemini wheel will fit, so will the TSportline 18" wheel for the Performance Model Y. The outer diameter of the tire remains approximately the same. The smaller wheel allows for more tire sidewall between the road surface (including potholes) and the wheel rim.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheWB
So I’ve been talking to a sales person from Tire rack who found a few different options for me. This is what he said:

“It would definitely be better to step down to a 19" with the same size tire all around. The wider tires in the rear that come on the car will do worse in the winter. More narrow tires cut into the snow better. Than having a 19" also gives you a taller sidewall that helps with deep snow traction. The tires size would be a 255/45R19. Pirelli makes a tire for the Tesla the P-Zero Winter it has the silent technology that the original tires come with. The tire is at $294.13 each and should be in come winter time. If you did the MSW wheels, the Pirelli tires with TMPS you would be at $2,809.80 after tax.”

He has been very helpful. Another one he told me about is the Continental VIKINGCONTACT 7 which is what I’m actually going to be getting with the 19” rims in the wheel package they offer and TPMS sensors. Go to their site and enter the Tesla info and it will suggest tires and wheels for you.

Reactions: TheWB
So I’ve been talking to a sales person from Tire rack who found a few different options for me. This is what he said:

“It would definitely be better to step down to a 19" with the same size tire all around. The wider tires in the rear that come on the car will do worse in the winter. More narrow tires cut into the snow better. Than having a 19" also gives you a taller sidewall that helps with deep snow traction. The tires size would be a 255/45R19. Pirelli makes a tire for the Tesla the P-Zero Winter it has the silent technology that the original tires come with. The tire is at $294.13 each and should be in come winter time. If you did the MSW wheels, the Pirelli tires with TMPS you would be at $2,809.80 after tax.”

He has been very helpful. Another one he told me about is the Continental VIKINGCONTACT 7 which is what I’m actually going to be getting with the 19” rims in the wheel package they offer and TPMS sensors. Go to their site and enter the Tesla info and it will suggest tires and wheels for you.
The winter driving performance differences between different brands of winter tires is much less than the general performance difference between all-season tires. Any major brand of winter tire will significantly out perform the all-season tires when it comes to starting, braking, stopping distance and handling when driving on snow and ice.

Reactions: pg3ttt and tm1v2