Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP totaled 2 days before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So looking for thoughts or experience...

I ordered my MYP on 3/10/2022 and went through the normal EDD changes. I was supposed to get my car on 3/21 and had completed all the steps (insurance, trade and even payment). On 3/16 I got a can you pickup early text and noticed there was nothing to reschedule at the link provided. I was on vacation so I reached out via test on 3/18 on my way home and then got called by tesla stating my car had been damaged at the rail yard and was a total loss. My order would be prioritized and I would get a new car "as soon as possible"

Well now I'm still siting with an EDD of 7/5-7/19 which i can live with I suppose. However I am a little concerned i could lose trade in value and Tesla took their final payment money out like 2.5 weeks ago.

So here I am with no car, an aging trade in and Tesla has quite a bit of my money. I am trying to be patient but as time goes on I'm getting a little concerned and given last car would have been a bit over 2 weeks from VIN to delivery and I still don't have a new one. I know its EOQ so most will go to west coast but wanted to get thought on when I should say enough is enough but my thought is that wont get me anywhere other than possibly a refund of my money and a continued wait.

Thanks,

I ordered my MYP on 3/10/2022 and went through the normal EDD changes. I was supposed to get my car on 3/21 and had completed all the steps (insurance, trade and even payment). On 3/16 I got a can you pickup early text and noticed there was nothing to reschedule at the link provided. I was on vacation so I reached out via test on 3/18 on my way home and then got called by tesla stating my car had been damaged at the rail yard and was a total loss. My order would be prioritized and I would get a new car "as soon as possible"

Well now I'm still siting with an EDD of 7/5-7/19 which i can live with I suppose. However I am a little concerned i could lose trade in value and Tesla took their final payment money out like 2.5 weeks ago.

So here I am with no car, an aging trade in and Tesla has quite a bit of my money. I am trying to be patient but as time goes on I'm getting a little concerned and given last car would have been a bit over 2 weeks from VIN to delivery and I still don't have a new one. I know its EOQ so most will go to west coast but wanted to get thought on when I should say enough is enough but my thought is that wont get me anywhere other than possibly a refund of my money and a continued wait.

Thanks,
A tough situation, but see if you can get them to confirm *in writing* that they will (a) respect the original financial terms when the replacement car becomes available and (b) provide a "date certain" after which they will refund the payment (if you want that as an option).

The "in writing" bit is the most important part...

Reactions: MR52

Thanks,
Did you mean 6/21, 6/16 and 6/18 in the first paragraph? Or did Tesla almost get you a car just a couple weeks after ordering?

Well, you can't really blame them for the money part since you didn't have to complete payment until you actually picked up the car. And second to the comment about, you'll find out in a week or so, right? And unless you're trading in a Tesla, I imagine you'd get a better price from one of the companies like Carvana, Vroom, etc....

I think it’s only states that Tesla isn’t allowed to sell directly in that they require payment prior to delivery. If your state is not one of those, don’t pay Tesla in full before you physically see the car. That’s just common sense.

I think it’s only states that Tesla isn’t allowed to sell directly in that they require payment prior to delivery. If your state is not one of those, don’t pay Tesla in full before you physically see the car. That’s just common sense.
That's not true of all states. I live in CT, have to take delivery in NY and don't have to pay until I take delivery.

Reactions: Kairide

Thanks,
Sorry you had to go through that, hopefully you get your car soon, and hope you enjoy it. 🙏