Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Uberturbine Front fit on Rear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a MYP on order, and picked up a set of 19" MY Gemini wheels for winter use.

If I have the 19's on the car, and want to throw in one of the Uberturbines as a spare when I'm headed to more remote areas of the state, will a MY Uberturbine front tire/wheel fit on the rear of an MYP in a pinch, as a spare?

Also, would I need to worry about any difference in diameter affecting the drive system (haven't checked the diameter difference of the 2 different tires)?

Thanks!

Be sure to check the load rating. The front (98Y) is not rated to support the rear location (103y).
Thats 1660lbs vs. 1929lbs rating. The GVWR of an MYP is 5252lbs. With all 4 tires at 98 load rating , you've got 1388lbs "headroom" to spare. This is more than sufficient for the MYP + a few occupants and cargo.

(the 21" michelin are all W speed rated btw, rated for 168mph, not Y)

Thats 1660lbs vs. 1929lbs rating. The GVWR of an MYP is 5252lbs. With all 4 tires at 98 load rating , you've got 1388lbs "headroom" to spare. This is more than sufficient for the MYP + a few occupants and cargo.

(the 21" michelin are all W speed rated btw, rated for 168mph, not Y)

The Y was for the Pirelli. For driving in a straight line, i agree about the headroom. In more intense scenarios - potholes, emergency maneuvers, I wouldn’t be comfortable. That’s why they had the 103 in the rear. Just my perspective.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I've got a MYP on order, and picked up a set of 19" MY Gemini wheels for winter use.

If I have the 19's on the car, and want to throw in one of the Uberturbines as a spare when I'm headed to more remote areas of the state, will a MY Uberturbine front tire/wheel fit on the rear of an MYP in a pinch, as a spare?

Also, would I need to worry about any difference in diameter affecting the drive system (haven't checked the diameter difference of the 2 different tires)?

Thanks!
The outer tire diameter of all three wheel sizes 19"/20"/21" is the same 28" within a fraction. As noted the 255/35-21 front 21" Uberturbine wheels and tires do not meet minimum load rating for the rear wheels and tires specified by Tesla. (The Tesla Model Y weight is biased to the rear (just check the front and rear gross axle weight ratings.)

You could bring along one of the 275/35-21 rear wheels or just get the Modern Spare. Another option is to skip the spare and rely on a 12V inflator pump and a tire plug kit along with Tesla Roadside Assistance for when the tire cannot be plugged.

The Y was for the Pirelli. For driving in a straight line, i agree about the headroom. In more intense scenarios - potholes, emergency maneuvers, I wouldn’t be comfortable. That’s why they had the 103 in the rear. Just my perspective.
Should have done more digging, my car had the Michelins, made an incorrect assumption the Pirelli's would have been spec'd the same.

re: headroom/intense scenarios - yes that makes sense, it would seem far less than optimal to load them up right to the limit.

My point is that I'd have a hard time believing the 21" Uberturbine front at 98w wouldn't be okay as a spare, both front and rear. Would certainly welcome someone with deeper knowledge regarding the physics of how exactly this could be wrong / dangerous / misguided / whatever to weigh in. It will probably impact handling and ride quality slightly, but that's basically expected IME. The handful of times I've had to mount a spare tire (it's been years though), you could certainly tell there was a spare on the car in most cases.