Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP UK Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah gosh! Stunning picking up mine on Sat. Cannot wait. Where did you collect from and how was experience?
Manchester Trafford - Pickup experience is very basic. Hand them driving licence and your phone, sign a squiggle on a screen then its "your car is in row A, off you trot". My last car was a new Range Rover, red carpets, dramatic lighting etc However the car itself is magical and I know I'd never own a gas car again (and had Ferrari's / Porsche / GTR etc). As for running it in, the very first thing I did was a 0-60 on Trafford car park :)

Beast of a car

Attachments

• 0F3F20A6-0889-4E66-AAAC-7779943139CB.jpeg
    0F3F20A6-0889-4E66-AAAC-7779943139CB.jpeg
    688.6 KB · Views: 68
Manchester Trafford - Pickup experience is very basic. Hand them driving licence and your phone, sign a squiggle on a screen then its "your car is in row A, off you trot". My last car was a new Range Rover, red carpets, dramatic lighting etc However the car itself is magical and I know I'd never own a gas car again (and had Ferrari's / Porsche / GTR etc). As for running it in, the very first thing I did was a 0-60 on Trafford car park :)
Congratulations! Never experienced getting a Ferrari. Soon I will. When I picked my BMW I was given a bottle of gin. That evening I spent getting drunk in the car listening to the HK sound system ( on a private driveway and not driving I just add!)

How comes you went Electric after all the ICE vehicles?

Congratulations! Never experienced getting a Ferrari. Soon I will. When I picked my BMW I was given a bottle of gin. That evening I spent getting drunk in the car listening to the HK sound system ( on a private driveway and not driving I just add!)

How comes you went Electric after all the ICE vehicles?
I just became addicted to the torque delivery of the EV. Simple as that.

Reactions: MrBristow
Got my Registration number, VIN etc. on 17th November - due to pick up on Thursday from Brent Cross.
No insurer is recognising the Reg - as evidently the DVLA don't have it registered yet...?
Who can I chase at Tesla? Looks like you guys all had the insurance sorted before pickup?
Any help appreciated!
Most will allow you to manually enter it or provide the model then you supply the reg at the time of paying for the insurance

There is no engine and I did not realise you need to run in electric motors, but maybe need to be careful with brakepads for first 50-100miles
You certainly need to bed the brakes in properly before doing too many 'big' stops. The factory pads are not up to much and the brakes are not bedded at all from the factory. Brake feel will be significantly better though once you've bedded them in.

Motors don't need to be run in. Just get in and floor it 😁

how do you bed brakes in? I never did it for my M3P
You'll find lots of methods quoted, but basically the idea is to get the pads contacting the full width of the discs by doing some repeated gentle but firm braking at moderate speeds. The aim is to eventually transfer a layer of pad material onto the discs, because it's that which allows disc brakes to work effectively.

Unless you have Track Mode, you won't be able to turn down the regen in a new Model 3 or Y, so you just need to use the brakes hard enough to get the brakes bedded. And never come to a complete stop if they are getting hot in the process.

I've seen Teslas which have done many thousands of miles and still haven't got the pads fully in contact with the discs. That then leads to issues with corrosion and poor braking performance in a situation when you might need to use them as intended. Regen is great, but you need to use the brakes regularly on a Tesla to keep them in good condition.

This is a good overview of brake bedding: Bedding-in and Material Transfer Process | Apec Automotive

You'll find lots of methods quoted, but basically the idea is to get the pads contacting the full width of the discs by doing some repeated gentle but firm braking at moderate speeds. The aim is to eventually transfer a layer of pad material onto the discs, because it's that which allows disc brakes to work effectively.

Unless you have Track Mode, you won't be able to turn down the regen in a new Model 3 or Y, so you just need to use the brakes hard enough to get the brakes bedded. And never come to a complete stop if they are getting hot in the process.

I've seen Teslas which have done many thousands of miles and still haven't got the pads fully in contact with the discs. That then leads to issues with corrosion and poor braking performance in a situation when you might need to use them as intended. Regen is great, but you need to use the brakes regularly on a Tesla to keep them in good condition.

This is a good overview of brake bedding: Bedding-in and Material Transfer Process | Apec Automotive
Unless you drive like a lunatic you won't touch the brake pedal and if you do use it you will only "feather it" as the Regen does all the braking.;)

Hence the phrase "One foot driving"

Last edited: